Any uncommon religions?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby betonhaus » 3 May 2020, 02:23

I'm Helian. The basic premise is that it considers itself to be an agnostic religion that questions the function of the world. The theology is that what we consider to be a god is that big burning ball in the sky that gives us daytime, as nothing would exist without it. We don't know for sure if it is "aware" or not, but believe it may be plausible because the sun is full of chaotic energy that over the millennia may have formed feedback loops and persistent patterns that in a way act as the basic structure for a processing system capable of thought (think the game of life, a mathematical theory where a basic set of rules could with enough chaos form complex and self replicating patterns). And if that's real, it's likely the phenomena of ball lightning is somehow related - acting as systems that help Sol study Earth and everything that goes on in that.

However, that whole premise is considered to be an unproven hypothesis. But it's used as a framework for how we view the world. Sol - if he's sentient - is not likely going to directly intervene in our daily lives and is likely mostly just watching us, seeing how we learn and evolve as a species. But he cannot change or defy the laws of physics or the fabric of our reality. Things happen the way they do because the laws of reality are written in the bones of the Earth. No amount of wishful thinking will change that. But learning about the world and how it functions, and accepting the consequences of our actions, learning from our failings and adapting to better ourselves will help us shape our lives and our future. This pandemic has been a reckoning that helps settle a debate between if we should live our lives in a way that best suits ourselves individually or as a community, as many things that were expected to be a problem after a person has passed on has started to happen ahead of schedule.

There isn't really that much in the way of written documentation because in the end the theory that Sol is sentient is unproven and not a priority, as we don't really have a means of knowing his wishes unless he tells us directly - and doing so may blow our electrical grid.
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 110
+1s received: 47
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Halt Arrtay » 3 May 2020, 04:38

betonhaus wrote:I'm Helian. The basic premise is that it considers itself to be an agnostic religion that questions the function of the world. The theology is that what we consider to be a god is that big burning ball in the sky that gives us daytime, as nothing would exist without it. We don't know for sure if it is "aware" or not, but believe it may be plausible because the sun is full of chaotic energy that over the millennia may have formed feedback loops and persistent patterns that in a way act as the basic structure for a processing system capable of thought (think the game of life, a mathematical theory where a basic set of rules could with enough chaos form complex and self replicating patterns). And if that's real, it's likely the phenomena of ball lightning is somehow related - acting as systems that help Sol study Earth and everything that goes on in that.

However, that whole premise is considered to be an unproven hypothesis. But it's used as a framework for how we view the world. Sol - if he's sentient - is not likely going to directly intervene in our daily lives and is likely mostly just watching us, seeing how we learn and evolve as a species. But he cannot change or defy the laws of physics or the fabric of our reality. Things happen the way they do because the laws of reality are written in the bones of the Earth. No amount of wishful thinking will change that. But learning about the world and how it functions, and accepting the consequences of our actions, learning from our failings and adapting to better ourselves will help us shape our lives and our future. This pandemic has been a reckoning that helps settle a debate between if we should live our lives in a way that best suits ourselves individually or as a community, as many things that were expected to be a problem after a person has passed on has started to happen ahead of schedule.

There isn't really that much in the way of written documentation because in the end the theory that Sol is sentient is unproven and not a priority, as we don't really have a means of knowing his wishes unless he tells us directly - and doing so may blow our electrical grid.


Wow, and I thought I had a uncommon religion. For me I just need to say some prayers to all who has fallen, celebrate our holidays, and maybe spill some goat blood before a raid. For you you have to question how the world functions and a lot of stuff I don't understand(No offence).
An eye for an eye, and the world goes blind.
User avatar
Halt Arrtay
 
Posts: 108
+1s received: 45
Joined: 8 March 2020, 00:49
Location: Whidbey island
Country: United States (us)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby GearFetTwinkRomance » 3 May 2020, 05:25

Not into religions on a serious approach myself, but I have known certain people along my path of senselessly stumbling through the jungle, so to say.

The only person who became sort of an acquaintance when I was like 14, called himself a satanist. One of them bark not bite types, too. Although he seemed to mix some things like 7th book of Moses, old wife's witch tales, anti-Christianity, seance de noire and various bullshit in2 voodoo theories, so it was probably more of an eclecticism . Funny thing, he or his girl and them geeks of his never tried to indoctrinate me with satanic stuff. Where the Catholic Christians incessantly would bother my, trying to win me back over, once I refused to take their shyte. The satanist couple moved to Australia, before I got to know them close. He also was a windsurfer.

If I had to choose a religion, it would be like "Praise the wind and sacred waves, holy oceans, riding braves" ... in a wetsuit the lords of the boards. :D
And music, of course. For it would be my first love.

I do know one guy that worships to Ctulhu, but he also likes the reptilians from space a lot, and the Flying spaghetti monster. As long as it's fun and fun only I can giggle along.

I know them Vancouver guys who said they were into Paganism. It's a very weird kind of gay Paganism that mingles with Tolkien's dark Elbish fantastic magic, and they used to wear elven ears at times. I guess it was just the hype around the latest movies made. Some folks were a lot into Harry Potterism, too.

I somewhat sympathise with the old Norse sagas, although I'm not the type that would read up on every detail. I thought Christianity was an import religion and the people had their own religion before that. Even my Romni and Rominja relatives had something of their own, before they were Christened, and the Jew ones still tend to their own.
It's just that I guess the Scandinavians would be insulted if people locate that as a "Germanic" religion. It's more of a Viking one, even though there was that old northern language family of which all them languages evolved, and some of the old German's gods like "Donar" ( Thor) ( it is still present in Donnerstag, Donar's day, Thursday, Thor's day, and the river Donau, Danube ) or "Wodan" (Odin) are the same, pretty well.
Mainly though, this insult would be there, since the Nazis abused old Norse to found their weird occultism, and quite a few of the neo-Nazi groups reproduce their own mythical enhanced superior race bullshit with old Norse flair of some fake-ish kind. It's also hardly possible to ever lead them in the right direction. It's like arguing with a bag of used hammers. Thor likely would have said. :keke:

What I always wondered was the snake, Miðgarðsormr, or midgard snake, if they had some encounters when travelling to Palestine, and the proto Christians used that snake for a symbol of evil ( bad foreign stuff) in their version of Eden myths. There could be some references. The European Christians would cover a lot of Heathen holidays to make their religion fit for European minds. Ever wondered why X-mas and winter solstice are so close? Some Jokes go on about the time, when the Vikings would have to choose either Christianity, or the early Islam, and they went to Christianity because of drinking Mjetpiir, honey beer, that was not prohibited, he he.
My place is said to be one of the last to convert to Christianity, and some of the people still do solstice celebrations and so called Heathen traditions besides all the neosophic, esoteric and Christianity stuff.

My own views toward religions, no matter of numbers and gods, are more of a sober, psychiatric perspective, (manipulative introjection) and most people don't like that. I am my own god, I govern my life to the most possible extent. Except for black flies, that always go for my ears. They always fly in my ears and bug the hell outta me while fishing. And annoying people go beyond my powers. They never do, what I want. So I'm a god who isn't all that powerful. But I can do the bagpipes without to physically use them. Something only a true god could do. A really useless god, anyway. :lol:

Though I understand how a part of the world does function, it's just, the zero followers don't bother to know. In my imagination they rather want to go skateboarding . :D
If ya want to hang with me, let's go windsurfing!

Image
User avatar
GearFetTwinkRomance
 
Posts: 907
+1s received: 345
Joined: 8 January 2018, 10:08
Location: Seashore Baltic "dolphin bay"
Country: Germany (de)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 3 May 2020, 16:06

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:What I always wondered was the snake, Miðgarðsormr, or midgard snake, if they had some encounters when travelling to Palestine, and the proto Christians used that snake for a symbol of evil ( bad foreign stuff) in their version of Eden myths. There could be some references. The European Christians would cover a lot of Heathen holidays to make their religion fit for European minds. Ever wondered why X-mas and winter solstice are so close? Some Jokes go on about the time, when the Vikings would have to choose either Christianity, or the early Islam, and they went to Christianity because of drinking Mjetpiir, honey beer, that was not prohibited, he he.

I remember reading that source! I can't seem to find it online, though, and I don't have my books. :( I can only assume that they were nodding along quite happily when the rabbi explained Judaism, until he got to the circumcision part and they all said "wow, fuck that", before converting to Christianity and getting wasted on Christ's Blood. :P As to how the Muslims saw the Norse, the account of a Viking burial ceremony by Ibn Fadlan is the one usually cited, I'm sure it'll be available online. I assume it was somewhat sensationalised, since a lot of it was probably quite scandalous to an upstanding Muslim such as he, but it's an interesting source, all the same.

There have been several finds of Islamic religious objects in Viking era graves, and even one example (that I know of) of a Buddha statuette! That doesn't necessarily indicate that the occupants of the graves were Muslims (or Buddhists!), of course, since in addition to being religious objects, they were exotic and beautiful to the Scandinavians, and hence appropriate for inclusion in a grave for reasons other than their religious significance.

I've no idea as to the links between the Midgard Serpent and the Christian personification of evil, to be honest. Maybe there's some ancient connection in a proto-Serpent Myth? What I do find interesting is the Norse portrayal of Jesus. Christ is often represented as triumphant on the cross, rather than enduring great suffering. He's also often tied or bound to the cross, rather than nailed. Nails in the hands don't feature as often in Norse portrayals. This portrayal of Jesus tied to the cross could have resonated with the old Norse ideas on the supernatural power of binding and weaving. "Magic as Binding" comes up a lot in the Norse sagas.

You can see an example of a "bound Christ" crucifix here, if you're interested. :D
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 3 May 2020, 17:47

betonhaus wrote:I'm Helian. The theology is that what we consider to be a god is that big burning ball in the sky that gives us daytime, as nothing would exist without it.

Image
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Brenden » 3 May 2020, 22:02

The rest of the galaxy and universe would exist without the sun. Heliocentrism has its final nail in its coffin with the advent of the cosmological principle.

I think I’ll start a new religion and call it Isotropism. All praise be to Universal Uniformity!
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7942
+1s received: 2695
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby betonhaus » 4 May 2020, 00:19

Brenden wrote:The rest of the galaxy and universe would exist without the sun. Heliocentrism has its final nail in its coffin with the advent of the cosmological principle.

I think I’ll start a new religion and call it Isotropism. All praise be to Universal Uniformity!

We wouldn't exist without the sun. and the other planets and their hypothetical inhabitants wouldn't exist without their respective stars.
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 110
+1s received: 47
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 4 May 2020, 10:26

betonhaus wrote:We don't know for sure if it is "aware" or not, but believe it may be plausible because the sun is full of chaotic energy that over the millennia may have formed feedback loops and persistent patterns that in a way act as the basic structure for a processing system capable of thought (think the game of life, a mathematical theory where a basic set of rules could with enough chaos form complex and self replicating patterns).

Kind of reminds me of the "China Brain" thought experiment. Asks you to consider whether: if every person in China formed themselves up to replicate the actions of neurons, and thus "simulate" the actions of a brain, does that "brain", in some sense, have consciousness?
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby GearFetTwinkRomance » 8 May 2020, 03:29

Magic J wrote:
betonhaus wrote:We don't know for sure if it is "aware" or not, but believe it may be plausible because the sun is full of chaotic energy that over the millennia may have formed feedback loops and persistent patterns that in a way act as the basic structure for a processing system capable of thought (think the game of life, a mathematical theory where a basic set of rules could with enough chaos form complex and self replicating patterns).

Kind of reminds me of the "China Brain" thought experiment. Asks you to consider whether: if every person in China formed themselves up to replicate the actions of neurons, and thus "simulate" the actions of a brain, does that "brain", in some sense, have consciousness?


We could say yes, since very single person will bring in their conscious mind and form some sort of computing system aka over-mind, as long as they all work together to make sense.

On the other hand, we could say no, since we see the idea with every person on the planet, and they all bring in their conscious mind to do what? NOT working together to make sense! :D
They seem to do the opposite, ( follow leaders that do, what they want ) more alike the "Lunatic brain" experiment or something of a lesser Dunning-Kruger thing that's going toward a flat line. Well. If you're an optimist, anyway.
If ya want to hang with me, let's go windsurfing!

Image
User avatar
GearFetTwinkRomance
 
Posts: 907
+1s received: 345
Joined: 8 January 2018, 10:08
Location: Seashore Baltic "dolphin bay"
Country: Germany (de)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Frigid » 8 May 2020, 13:32

Simulation theory.
poolerboy0077 wrote:Aren’t you a vegetarian? I hear your people’s farts are quite lethal. It doesn’t matter much if a volcano’s lip is clean when there lava pit is ready to burst at any unexpected moment.
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1601
+1s received: 281
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby PopTart » 8 May 2020, 13:47

Frigid wrote:Simulation theory.

Nooooooo! Please tell me your kidding? :blargh:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2822
+1s received: 2331
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 8 May 2020, 13:51

PopTart wrote:
Frigid wrote:Simulation theory.

Nooooooo! Please tell me your kidding? :blargh:

An unexpectedly strong reaction to the hypothesis.

Lurking to see where this goes. :P
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby PopTart » 8 May 2020, 13:58

Magic J wrote:
PopTart wrote:
Frigid wrote:Simulation theory.

Nooooooo! Please tell me your kidding? :blargh:

An unexpectedly strong reaction to the hypothesis.

Lurking to see where this goes. :P

I just really dislike the idea. It's also far too new for my liking. It's an upstart, can't stand me an upstart :D

In truth, what I really can't stand the idea of, is that people might regard this world as "not real" that, what they do here, doesn't really matter, because there is another world out there. So they have no responsibility to this life, to this world and the people that live in it. It's a get out jail free card, like christianity or Islam, but without the moral guidelines to atleast try to convince people to be a tad responsible.

Who cares if the climate collapses? It's just a digital simulation anyway, I'll wake up in my real body.

Who cares if people get hurt, it's only simulated pain, it wont really last.

It's the philosophy of apathy and wishful thinking all at the same time.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2822
+1s received: 2331
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 8 May 2020, 14:09

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:We could say yes, since very single person will bring in their conscious mind and form some sort of computing system aka over-mind, as long as they all work together to make sense.


So far as I understand, in this thought experiment, the consciousness of the individual person is irrelevant. They commit to orders to react to only specific stimuli (like the sense organs and the various parts of the brain) and use a two-way radio to pass on "signals" to other parts of the "brain". Some clever people interested in consciousness bite the bullet and and agree that this would create the conditions for a conscious mind to emerge. Others think that conclusion is absurd, and think that consciousness can't just "emerge" from the interactions between Chinese persons/neurons. I'm personally inclined towards the former, since claiming "emergent phenomena" is a great general get-out-of-jail card when it comes to this issue. :P
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 8 May 2020, 14:14

PopTart wrote:In truth, what I really can't stand the idea of, is that people might regard this world as "not real" that, what they do here, doesn't really matter, because there is another world out there. So they have no responsibility to this life, to this world and the people that live in it. It's a get out jail free card, like christianity or Islam, but without the moral guidelines to at least try to convince people to be a tad responsible.

I've not read very much about sim theories, but yeah, I think that's my main issue. It's kind of similar to the cheaper sort of over-the-counter nihilism: okay, I accept the premise, but what now? Does it actually matter? What changes?
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby betonhaus » 8 May 2020, 15:03

Magic J wrote:
PopTart wrote:In truth, what I really can't stand the idea of, is that people might regard this world as "not real" that, what they do here, doesn't really matter, because there is another world out there. So they have no responsibility to this life, to this world and the people that live in it. It's a get out jail free card, like christianity or Islam, but without the moral guidelines to at least try to convince people to be a tad responsible.

I've not read very much about sim theories, but yeah, I think that's my main issue. It's kind of similar to the cheaper sort of over-the-counter nihilism: okay, I accept the premise, but what now? Does it actually matter? What changes?

It's basically just reheated nihilism with ketchup poured on top to mask the freezer burn. In the end it just means that nothing truly matters except what we define matters.

Then you have to acknowledge that the basic drives for food, water, and shelter matter because our bodies will force us to acknowledge that they matter, and the prerequisites for those drives (owning a house, having a job and money) build on top of that to the end result that a fucking lot of things actually matter.

It's like the anarchy fallacy where people think a society will function without a government, while failing to recognize that for such as society to function it would have to develop systems and systems of systems that add to the end result of a government in everything but name.
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 110
+1s received: 47
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Frigid » 9 May 2020, 09:41

You guys are too easy. I’m actually atheist.

PopTart wrote:Who cares if the climate collapses? It's just a digital simulation anyway, I'll wake up in my real body.

No, there’s no real body. In the theory we are just sims, death is the end. However, your point of the apathy towards actions is spot on but that’s seen in many who also, as you say, use the pray to get into heaven work around.
poolerboy0077 wrote:Aren’t you a vegetarian? I hear your people’s farts are quite lethal. It doesn’t matter much if a volcano’s lip is clean when there lava pit is ready to burst at any unexpected moment.
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1601
+1s received: 281
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby ShutUpAndBeHappy » 13 May 2020, 21:43

I'm pretty much atheist/agnostic at this point, but I still go to Church on Paskha (Ukrainian Orthodox Christian - which is very uncommon in my community).

My boyfriend mixes Roman Catholicism with the Zen Buddhism of his Childhood in China. Talks with him are very fascinating - though I think he just uses a bunch of fancy words to express agnosticism. Don't tell him I said that.
ShutUpAndBeHappy
 
Posts: 916
+1s received: 126
Joined: 21 December 2012, 03:33
Location: Colorado
Country: United States (us)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby ThatNomad » 23 June 2020, 11:33

I consider myself to be a Pantheist, but often I simply tell people I'm an Atheist, or a Humanist because it's simpler. I've tried quite a few religions, raised Baptist (Yuck), tried Wicca/Paganism next, then Buddhism, gave Satanism a spin for a while, liked it well enough at the time, but grew out of it. I seem to have this problem where "belief" is the main issue. I simply don't understand the faith component. I have not once found a religion with something I could believe in, unless it was realistic and supported by evidence.

Pantheism, the scientific, rational one, not the "I believe in everything" version, is basically just the feeling of awe one gets being in nature. It can be likened to a religious experience in the way it gives you an overwhelming feeling of joy in your "soul". First time I ever saw the ocean I cried, being in a forest on a foggy day give me the most amazing feeling of peace that many say they get from being in a church, stuff like that. We don't have belief, we don't do worship or rituals, and we accept reality as it ultimately is, without hoping, praying, or wishing for it to change to suit us.
User avatar
ThatNomad
 
Posts: 130
+1s received: 68
Joined: 22 June 2020, 18:54
Country: United States (us)

Re: Any uncommon religions?

Unread postby Magic J » 23 June 2020, 17:32

ThatNomad wrote:I consider myself to be a Pantheist, but often I simply tell people I'm an Atheist, or a Humanist because it's simpler.

Is this more of a "worship of nature without God" sort of thing, then? I've seen pantheism used another way, too: to describe the belief that God is reality, rather than the creator or sustainer of reality. Some really out there Christians subscribed to this sort of belief, but it never really got very popular. :P
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Brenden, CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], Eryx, Jacobumills, Magic J, Mojeek [Bot], Molech, René and 79 guests