Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Talk about anything and everything.

Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby betonhaus » 2 December 2020, 10:16

Hear me out before you start tossing the tomatoes.

I was born and raised Catholic, but over time my dad remarried and got deep into the Evangelical community. So I grew up in a couple contradicting environments where my Catholic family considered the religion to be an afterthought to the community, but the Evangelicals were deep into it to the point that everything had to be centered around god and that the demons in my 12-year-old self had made me unplug my stepmom's printer.

End result is that I don't really believe in god in the Christian sense, and I don't see any logical reason to believe any other historical god.
But that's not important, what is important is this: the effect that a well-defined religion has on culture. Historically a town church would take the role of a moral conductor, unifying the people so that they had similar values and beliefs that they could better co-operate and care for each other for the greater good of the community, as compared to more diverse communities where people held different (or even no) beliefs and often acted in their best interest in the detriment to their neighbors - or even themselves. Like, religion has many rules and rituals that have a benefit as a side effect (like praying before bed as a mental stress therapy to acknowledge your concerns and recognize you can't deal with them that night so you can sleep better, or various practices considering dietary restrictions or hygiene that took place before we understood diseases and toxins).

Even today there are many different things that people should be doing to help ensure they are healthy and happy, such as following a minimum amount of exercise per day, following meditation and stress reduction practices, having defined social customs and expectations.

I want to work with that, but without the overhead of having to accept who did what thousands of years ago. Instead, let us focus on something we know is there: the sun, which heats our world and without it we would be without life. A lot of religion makes references to divine light and the purification of UV rays, so there is some compatibility. I can come up with a conspiracy theory as to how the sun could be sentient following the currently known laws of physics but it's not important

So I propose this: A completely written from scratch religion that operates under the assumption that Sol (the sun) is the one thing watching over us, and due to his long timespan it isn't interested in interfering with the minutiae of our lives but instead is watching what we make of ourselves. What we think of him isn't particularly relevant, as much as how we conduct ourselves - our daily routines and exercises, how we co-operate with others and our core values, include basic information that every individual should know such as logic and deduction skills, and sets a defined standard of what is morally acceptable and why (that obviously accepts sex between consenting adults of any combination of genders, probably include basic sexual education and requesting/giving consent as part of the education).

I do have a very basic napkin sketch of what the Heliax (the core bible) would look like on github: https://github.com/Betonhaus/Heliax
Admittedly I'm sorta working against my own limitations coming up with this, but I feel like this would be a good way to define a standard so it is not pure chaos in people's lives - trying to strike a balance between having a rigid core system instead of putting your faith in anything from astrology to partisan media, but still having a coherent internal logic so people don't fall into the trap of "If I believe in X hard enough despite the evidence before my eyes X will resolve all of my problems."

Thoughts?
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 244
+1s received: 99
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 2 December 2020, 10:52

I’m afraid, as far as social revolution goes, I have already pledged my fealty to the creation of an LGBT nation state based on a de-fleeted cruise ship. The cost of my allegiance in this matter was the promise of high office in the completed regime, namely His Grace, The Duke of the Forecastle and Anchor Room.

If you can offer an appointment as Cardinal in this new religion, then perhaps we have room to negotiate. Otherwise, I’m afraid I’m rather too tied up in deciding which of the copious cruise ships that have suddenly come to market has the best Forecastle and Anchor room and so gets my support for procurement.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby betonhaus » 2 December 2020, 13:32

I can offer priority on merge requests but that's basically it.

Get one with a pool
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 244
+1s received: 99
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 2 December 2020, 14:24

Nah, the constitution as drafted folds quite a lot of ceremonial responsibility upon the Duchy of the Aft Pool Bar. There’s more money involved, but I’m all about an easier life.

I wish you all the best of luck with your theological start-up but I’m afraid, without a large ceremonial headpiece, I just don’t see what it has to offer me personally and so I’m out.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 2 December 2020, 16:50

Marmaduke wrote:I’m afraid, as far as social revolution goes, I have already pledged my fealty to the creation of an LGBT nation state based on a de-fleeted cruise ship. The cost of my allegiance in this matter was the promise of high office in the completed regime, namely His Grace, The Duke of the Forecastle and Anchor Room.

If you can offer an appointment as Cardinal in this new religion, then perhaps we have room to negotiate. Otherwise, I’m afraid I’m rather too tied up in deciding which of the copious cruise ships that have suddenly come to market has the best Forecastle and Anchor room and so gets my support for procurement.

Did you come up with he idea for cruse ships based on lesbians’ love of whale-watching?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9666
+1s received: 2670
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 2 December 2020, 17:46

poolerboy0077 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:I’m afraid, as far as social revolution goes, I have already pledged my fealty to the creation of an LGBT nation state based on a de-fleeted cruise ship. The cost of my allegiance in this matter was the promise of high office in the completed regime, namely His Grace, The Duke of the Forecastle and Anchor Room.

If you can offer an appointment as Cardinal in this new religion, then perhaps we have room to negotiate. Otherwise, I’m afraid I’m rather too tied up in deciding which of the copious cruise ships that have suddenly come to market has the best Forecastle and Anchor room and so gets my support for procurement.

Did you come up with he idea for cruse ships based on lesbians’ love of whale-watching?

I appreciate you assuming I’m a TikTok user. It’s very flattering. People often tell me I look younger than I am. Sadly, not.

No, I initially I was sceptical about the whole plan. I thought it was just the result of a moron smoking a tiny bit too much weed. But then I researched what life at sea could be like, and these guys couldn’t speak highly enough about it. So I decided to give it a chance.

User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby betonhaus » 2 December 2020, 18:40

Honestly life at sea could be pretty awesome. Once Starlink is up and running you can possibly do remote work from anywhere in the world. the main problem would be keeping the engines fueled and establishing food and fresh water sourcing
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 244
+1s received: 99
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Magic J » 2 December 2020, 18:52

What's this "standard of moral acceptability"? Sounds fishy to me. Who's defining that? It's certainly not going to be the star we happen to orbit around, so who is it, huh? I want the names and whereabouts of this parcel of rogues who think they can tell me what to do and what to think. Everybody, spit on their stone tablets.

I tell you, every man, woman, enby, and child is a BONA FIDE POPE, as are the larger breeds of dog, certain colourful parrots, and most varieties of cabbage. So remember to treat them right, you hear me?

Or else.

Anyway, I'm in. A spot of religion could be entertaining. Do we do communion in this one? Bring me the wine and every one of your little wafers! I hunger!
Or Kill Me
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1735
+1s received: 1327
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby John27 » 2 December 2020, 20:55

betonhaus wrote:Once Starlink is up and running you can possibly do remote work from anywhere in the world.


Not to mention being able to continue seeing videos on the Internet featuring a couple of nude guys doing stuff to each other. :lol:

the main problem would be keeping the engines fueled and establishing food and fresh water sourcing


One would probably have to have make stops occasionally to get supplies and fuel.

Bonus: it would give one a chance to get ashore for a while, and remember the reasons why life on dry land was so tiresome. It would keep one appreciative of life at sea.
John27
 
Posts: 461
+1s received: 187
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 2 December 2020, 21:05

betonhaus wrote:Once Starlink is up and running you can possibly do remote work from anywhere in the world.
You’re misunderstanding. The boat will have a full self-sustaining economic loop. You will live on the boat, you will commute on the boat, to your job on the boat. All jobs which exist in the world as you know it will be adapted and offered in a more boat-centric context. There is literally no job which cannot be offered on the boat.

betonhaus wrote:the main problem would be keeping the engines fueled

Steam turbines with furnaces heated by burning out of season fashion items, and the deceased remains of countless chihuahuas and Pomeranians.

betonhaus wrote:and establishing food and fresh water sourcing

The twin pillars of dolphin barbecue and desalinisation.
Last edited by Marmaduke on 2 December 2020, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Magic J » 2 December 2020, 21:08

Marmaduke wrote:There is literally no job which cannot be offered on the boat.

Ahem.
Or Kill Me
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1735
+1s received: 1327
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 2 December 2020, 21:10

Magic J wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:There is literally no job which cannot be offered on the boat.

Ahem.

You can take your toothbrush and you can look for unclaimed items buried in the lost and found which may offer clues as to the lifestyles of earlier passengers.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Magic J » 2 December 2020, 21:12

Nice. Ahoy!
Or Kill Me
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1735
+1s received: 1327
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby betonhaus » 2 December 2020, 21:14

Magic J wrote:What's this "standard of moral acceptability"? Sounds fishy to me. Who's defining that? It's certainly not going to be the star we happen to orbit around, so who is it, huh? I want the names and whereabouts of this parcel of rogues who think they can tell me what to do and what to think. Everybody, spit on their stone tablets.

Anyway, I'm in. A spot of religion could be entertaining. Do we do communion in this one? Bring me the wine and every one of your little wafers! I hunger!



We're defining it, really. I'll admit it is a bit of a vague point and something that would be contested, so defining it is not a priority (and is likely better left short and to the point). Stuff like don't be a dick to others, what is acceptable flirting and what is harassment, best case scenario would be stuff that most people were able to figure out growing up but spelled out for those who didn't.

I don't know yet what activities would be part of it, but I'd like to focus on stuff that has a logically sound rationale while being enjoyable.

For now the main emphasis would be to encourage activities that improve personal health and to inform.

So like defining a very basic daily exercise routine that we should be doing anyways (while listing how to push yourself further when desired, or scale back when just starting or frail), meditation techniques to help deal with daily stress, having a section explaining what a healthy diet looks like and how to help control your weight, a standardized sex ed that covers diseases and how to avoid them and how to make sexual or emotional advances and understand consent. Oh and money management would be an important topic.

I genuinely see that the concept of an agnostic religion of sorts could be helpful to establish a unified community for people who have a hard time imagining this invisible magic man is spying on everyone and supposedly declared there to be no buttsex. But the problem is it's going to take some time for me by myself to figure this out and build it up, and I can't really do it alone - but I have nothing that would compel others to help build this up. And my life is shit right now so I can't really give it my full attention anyways.
User avatar
betonhaus
 
Posts: 244
+1s received: 99
Joined: 14 January 2019, 00:09

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby René » 2 December 2020, 21:21

Are you familiar with humanism and with Unitarian Universalism?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7633
+1s received: 2775
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Magic J » 2 December 2020, 21:53

betonhaus wrote:For now the main emphasis would be to encourage activities that improve personal health and to inform.

So like defining a very basic daily exercise routine that we should be doing anyways (while listing how to push yourself further when desired, or scale back when just starting or frail), meditation techniques to help deal with daily stress, having a section explaining what a healthy diet looks like and how to help control your weight, a standardized sex ed that covers diseases and how to avoid them and how to make sexual or emotional advances and understand consent. Oh and money management would be an important topic.

Perhaps people have this already? It bombards them from their screens and magazines. Do this exercise, eat that vegetable, more of that, less of this, definitely less of that, look like this, wear that, be this, not that, look at this, don't watch that, click here click here click here click here...

So on and so forth. We should suggest something to ease the anguish of this frenetic psychic assault. Which might be... nothing. For "the thing that hath been, it is that which shall be, and that which is done is that which shall be done, and there is no new thing under the sun." A new religion might be a bit of a cop-out, here? But there's options aside. The meditation suggestion could be good, although that's quickly being subsumed into the maelstrom, unfortunately. :(

betonhaus wrote:I genuinely see that the concept of an agnostic religion of sorts could be helpful to establish a unified community for people who have a hard time imagining this invisible magic man is spying on everyone and supposedly declared there to be no buttsex. But the problem is it's going to take some time for me by myself to figure this out and build it up, and I can't really do it alone - but I have nothing that would compel others to help build this up. And my life is shit right now so I can't really give it my full attention anyways.

It does take time. Still not figured It out. Won't ever, no sir, not for me this figuring out stuff. If I do fall into thinking that I've got It all figured out, I want them to shoot me. Or just laugh at me for days. Either or, really.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good. I liked the Meditations for that. Not a particularly original suggestion, I apologise.

Aaaand I'm doing it too! Read this! :lol:
Or Kill Me
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1735
+1s received: 1327
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 2 December 2020, 23:08

René wrote:Are you familiar with humanism and with Unitarian Universalism?

Alright. That’s enough communism coming out of you. :oface:
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9666
+1s received: 2670
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Magic J » 2 December 2020, 23:16

poolerboy0077 wrote:
René wrote:Are you familiar with humanism and with Unitarian Universalism?

Alright. That’s enough communism coming out of you. :oface:

This place is full of pinkos! :argh:
Or Kill Me
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1735
+1s received: 1327
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby Eryx » 2 December 2020, 23:20

This just sounds like Satanism.
ImageImageImage Image Image Image ImageImage

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
— Harlan Ellison
User avatar
Eryx
 
Posts: 2985
+1s received: 1928
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:48
Location: Belo Horizonte, MG
Country: Brazil (br)

Re: Devising an open-source agnostic religion?

Unread postby OutsideIn » 2 December 2020, 23:31

I don’t understand why a moral code needs to be defined by a religion.
OutsideIn
 
Posts: 416
+1s received: 247
Joined: 25 November 2020, 18:58
Location: Earth
Country: United States (us)

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], erti, Jzone, Keepit_smooth, Magic J, Omri123456777, OutsideIn, you&&&i and 145 guests