Did GTF merge?

Talk about anything and everything.

Did GTF merge?

Unread postby Auralnauts » 12 September 2020, 03:29

Wassup y'all.

Did GTF merge into gay forum or did that forum just die?
Image
User avatar
Auralnauts
 
Posts: 4
+1s received: 2
Joined: 24 August 2014, 05:47

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 12 September 2020, 06:32

Copying a previous summary:
René wrote:
Eryx wrote:I'm pretty sure it was already pretty dead when René locked it up. I blame Facebook and other social networks for the lower traffic. Teenagers simply weren't interested in the old format of forums anymore. I think they might make a comeback at some point, though. Having forums talking about different topics without the overseeing of someone the likes of Mark Zuckerberg seems like more of a healthy internet than what we have right now.

This, pretty much.

It was with great sadness that we had to close GTF for new registrations and lock it for new posts in late 2018. A really sad decision, but we did done everything we could think of and it didn't seem like there was any chance of it making a comeback... :(

The only people still posting in the end were spammers, and there were many of them and it took a lot of effort to keep up with deleting their posts and banning them. Since no real posts had been made in more than 2 weeks, Brenden and I decided that the best thing to do would be to lock all the subforums and just maintain the site as an archive for anyone feeling nostalgic or anyone who happens upon advice given on it through search engines.

It's a real shame, because to this day I still receive messages from teenagers who want to register and post in a community like that and wish it was still open and active.

We have however opened this forum up to 16- and 17-year-olds since then.

I did leave it up as an archive... until a few months ago, when some pathetic whiny little bitch of a former member made a fraudulent report of illegal activity about the archive to our web host which caused them to demand that the site be taken down entirely without any investigation. :(

(Of course I do still have the database and backups and everything. I will never destroy the data.)
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby Auralnauts » 12 September 2020, 09:00

René wrote:Copying a previous summary:
René wrote:
Eryx wrote:I'm pretty sure it was already pretty dead when René locked it up. I blame Facebook and other social networks for the lower traffic. Teenagers simply weren't interested in the old format of forums anymore. I think they might make a comeback at some point, though. Having forums talking about different topics without the overseeing of someone the likes of Mark Zuckerberg seems like more of a healthy internet than what we have right now.

This, pretty much.

It was with great sadness that we had to close GTF for new registrations and lock it for new posts in late 2018. A really sad decision, but we did done everything we could think of and it didn't seem like there was any chance of it making a comeback... :(

The only people still posting in the end were spammers, and there were many of them and it took a lot of effort to keep up with deleting their posts and banning them. Since no real posts had been made in more than 2 weeks, Brenden and I decided that the best thing to do would be to lock all the subforums and just maintain the site as an archive for anyone feeling nostalgic or anyone who happens upon advice given on it through search engines.

It's a real shame, because to this day I still receive messages from teenagers who want to register and post in a community like that and wish it was still open and active.

We have however opened this forum up to 16- and 17-year-olds since then.

I did leave it up as an archive... until a few months ago, when some pathetic whiny little bitch of a former member made a fraudulent report of illegal activity about the archive to our web host which caused them to demand that the site be taken down entirely without any investigation. :(

(Of course I do still have the database and backups and everything. I will never destroy the data.)



Ah, I see. I like the point that was made on the post about Mark Zuckerberg..I just watched a documentary called the Social Dilemma on netflix that goes into this.

Thanks!
Image
User avatar
Auralnauts
 
Posts: 4
+1s received: 2
Joined: 24 August 2014, 05:47

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 23 September 2020, 22:48

Damn, I just ended up here because I had a random thought, wondering if I could find my old posts from 2004. I went to high school with the guy who started the original site. I was a senior and he was a junior. We used to talk on there, yet we never actually met in person, other than him telling me he saw me down the hall, and the one time I saw him at the movie theater I worked at. My friend said it was him, but I didn't recognize him. He did confirm it was him and he had seen me. That was probably a year or so before he died. Life as a gay teen was so lonely back then, so it was nice to have that site to go to. Nobody was out in school, and I went to a fairly liberal school. I only found out about him because there was a different forum site someone made for our high school, which got taken down after a few months. I don't think I ever found out exactly why, other than people posting rumors about other people. He had posted there looking for other gay kids, and I think I must have messaged him and he pointed me to his site. He said he already knew I was gay since some other anonymous person had told him, even though every person I had come out to at that point had promised me they wouldn't tell anyone.
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 23 September 2020, 23:17

stuff wrote:Damn, I just ended up here because I had a random thought, wondering if I could find my old posts from 2004. I went to high school with the guy who started the original site. I was a senior and he was a junior. We used to talk on there, yet we never actually met in person, other than him telling me he saw me down the hall, and the one time I saw him at the movie theater I worked at. My friend said it was him, but I didn't recognize him. He did confirm it was him and he had seen me. That was probably a year or so before he died. Life as a gay teen was so lonely back then, so it was nice to have that site to go to. Nobody was out in school, and I went to a fairly liberal school. I only found out about him because there was a different forum site someone made for our high school, which got taken down after a few months. I don't think I ever found out exactly why, other than people posting rumors about other people. He had posted there looking for other gay kids, and I think I must have messaged him and he pointed me to his site. He said he already knew I was gay since some other anonymous person had told him, even though every person I had come out to at that point had promised me they wouldn't tell anyone.

Oh wow!!! You knew Jordan/Insey/CockMaster??? :runaway:

I know at least one member who's still around who actually interacted with him is acpro.

I was a moderator on the original site at a later stage. That was 2 sites ago, and I really wish there was a backup or mirror of it, but alas, if it exists it remains in the hands of the evil administrator Kevin (kshoaf). I have not been able to contact him or otherwise obtain such a copy. :(

What was your nickname back then? Did you possibly stick around for a while? I joined in 2006. I was Anonymous Boy. :D

You may be interested in another summary of events (originally posted here):

René wrote:Our story begins in 2003 or thereabouts, when GayTeenForum.net (also known then as GTF) was founded. After the tragic death of its creator the forum passed through the hands of several administrators. I joined it in 2006, loved it, and after a few months I was made a moderator. After a while in 2007, I discovered some questionable stuff one of the administrators (Kevin, AKA kshoaf) was up to, which I discussed with the other moderators. Kevin apologised and promised not to do it again. A short while later, in December 2007, he proceeded to do it again. I found out, revealed it to the other moderators again[1], was subsequently dismissed as a moderator for undisclosed reasons[2], then told the public[3]; the post was censored soon after[4]; several posts from others that repeated the apparently top-secret information I'd revealed were removed[5] and I was banned, to which most of the members did not take kindly[6][7]. Many more people ended up banned. When it became clear that things were not going to return to normal, I set up GayTeenForum.org with the help of another member, and about 90% of the active members rapidly moved over.

(More information about the events of December 2007, including all other pages of the threads linked to above, can be found in the Events of December 2007 Historical Archive.)

For some time after these events, the original forum was sometimes referred to as GTFN and the new forum as GTFO. Kevin strengthened his repressive regime after all the bans, promoting some of the more questionable figures who remained loyal to him to moderator positions as well as bringing in some of his rather odd straight guitar-playing family members to help him run the place. GTFN died after a while, and eventually the domain lapsed and I re-registered it and pointed it to gayteenforum.org, which from that point on was the unambiguous successor forum.

Anyway, by 2012 a lot of the original members weren't actually teens anymore and became increasingly uncomfortable with spending time on a forum called GayTeenForum, and on the 5th anniversary of the creation of GTFO, at 20:12 GMT on 20 December 2012, this forum was created (by myself and my husband, whom I'd met on the teen forum and married in 2010) as a spin-off for adults; an age limit of 25 was set for GTF and an age minimum of 18 for GFO, so that teen members of GTF who come of age would have plenty of time to migrate over here.

Besides myself, a few people are still around from way in the early GTFN days (or continue to drop by occasionally) — including Marmaduke, poolerboy0077, Justin (another former GTFN administrator), Paragon, acpro, Shinji Ikari, Cali Ed, wizid and a bunch of others — and have now known each other for more than a decade. :keke:

...as well as this post if you'd like to see a few more names you might recognise if you stuck around for a while.

Finally, some of what you're looking for may be findable through the Internet Archive's WayBackMachine, although the original GTF was very poorly search-engine-optimised and hardly usable through the WBM. :(

We still have some smileys you might recognise from that time. :awesome: such as:

:werd: :wasteland: :hitler: :jihad: :english: :monocle: :runaway: :shifty:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 23 September 2020, 23:37

Well "knew" is a strong word. Like I said, we never spoke outside of the web site. But we went to the same school at the same time.

My name was probably either stuff or andofourteen, I'm not sure which at this point. I was probably still there through 2008 or so, maybe? But I don't think I was posting much by then, just reading, and maybe not even reading that much. I guess I missed all the drama, either because I wasn't paying close attention or wasn't going on anymore. I do remember looking sometime later and finding out there were two sites.

Thanks for the summary. Some of those names do sound familiar. acpro knew him in real life?
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 24 September 2020, 00:44

stuff wrote:Well "knew" is a strong word. Like I said, we never spoke outside of the web site. But we went to the same school at the same time.

That's still pretty amazing!

What's also pretty amazing is that virtually my entire adult life was shaped by that website. It was through that site or its successors that I met almost everyone I know outside my family, including my husband of more than 10 years and several close friends, some of whom I've now known for about 14 years. :D

stuff wrote:My name was probably either stuff or andofourteen, I'm not sure which at this point. I was probably still there through 2008 or so, maybe? But I don't think I was posting much by then, just reading, and maybe not even reading that much. I guess I missed all the drama, either because I wasn't paying close attention or wasn't going on anymore. I do remember looking sometime later and finding out there were two sites.

andofourteen definitely rings a bell!

stuff wrote:Thanks for the summary. Some of those names do sound familiar. acpro knew him in real life?

You're welcome! acpro only knew him through the site. IIRC he felt a bit intimidated by him and they only interacted a few times. :P
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 24 September 2020, 00:45

So nobody who used the site when he was still alive is still around?
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 24 September 2020, 01:27

stuff wrote:So nobody who used the site when he was still alive is still around?

acpro used the site when he was still alive; just didn't interact with him a lot.
Other than him, there are a few people who were around back then who still pop up occasionally. Let's see if I can summon some of them!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby Polandboy » 24 September 2020, 07:15

Send pictures. I am only good at remembering faces.
Polandboy
 
Posts: 5
+1s received: 13
Joined: 8 November 2018, 20:40
Country: Poland (pl)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby Cali Ed » 24 September 2020, 09:12

stuff wrote:So nobody who used the site when he was still alive is still around?

I don't post too often these days, but I was around when CM was in charge. I was an early donor, so we'd chat once in a while. I believe he was the first one to make me a mod, but it could have been Shawn. I resigned/got fired/rehired many times on the various sites.

In my limited files of stuff saved from the first site, I did manage to find my resignation note from my second stint as mod after the drama that involved JRKinky, his inbred clan and Kevin's guitar-playing kin, as AB alluded to (I also give people a hint that our new site was ready to roll) ....

***

I am addressing this to the admin team: Kevin, Justin and, as we all now know, JRKinky (and I must presume one or more metrosexual relative):

It is with great displeasure that I must offer my resignation as a moderator on this site for a second time. The legacy of corruption lingers here many months after Shawn has sped off in his pizza delivery vehicle. Someone mentioned the irony of you being the ones to bring Ichol and me back after our banning, and I do thank you for that. I thought you had good intentions, but I'm not sure what has happened here since.

Actually, I think I have a pretty good idea: You've gone fucking insane.

The display of vanity and idiocy here lately is eclipsed only by your utter disrespect for members and disregard for their opinions. It's your website, but it's their forum — and now it's emptying of valued members and content. It is those members who voted to make me a mod, and I served on their behalf. As they are fleeing, so I must step down and dissociate myself from your nefarious purposes, your sickening lies and your odious threats.

Kevin, I couldn't believe you actually have the nerve to say something like: "jesus christ they wont stop. when will they realize our word is law here." (And it's not just the nerve to violate grammar rules. Oh, by the way, I posted something from the admin forum. Oh no!). Who the fuck do you think you are? Moses? Good G_ossy, the gay gods do not smile upon petulant faggot power trips — especially when it's so little power to go mad over in the first place.

This place is going down in flames (not to be confused with flamers going down — generally a good thing). You have the extinguishers in your hands. You could douse them and end this conflagration. But there you are like a couple of self-immolating Buddhists, pouring on the gasoline — hoping in vain for some sort of spiritual rebirth. But this forum on its current path is going sadly and inexorably into the cold, cold ground.

There are alternatives, dear friends. Ask around and you shall find your enlightenment — and I will see you again there, free of smoke (unless you're a cigarette addict, pot enthusiast or crackhead).

Until then, good night and good fuck. :oface:

p.s. I can't wait until this gets deleted or edited.
Cali Ed
 
Posts: 103
+1s received: 38
Joined: 5 January 2013, 06:28
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 24 September 2020, 10:09

Cali Ed wrote:I am addressing this to the admin team: Kevin, Justin and, as we all now know, JRKinky (and I must presume one or more metrosexual relative):

It is with great displeasure that I must offer my resignation as a moderator on this site for a second time. The legacy of corruption lingers here many months after Shawn has sped off in his pizza delivery vehicle.

Classic :lol:
Gets me every time.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 24 September 2020, 14:40

Here’s a picture from back then. I don’t think I posted pictures that often though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby wizid » 24 September 2020, 16:23

Quick Edit - reading Cali's post was like a flashback. I was totally out of all loops on all of that but kinda friends with Shawn and then he was just gone one day and it was those guys in charge - but was still kinda reeling from CM's unexpected departure. God that was all a lifetime ago.

stuff wrote:So nobody who used the site when he was still alive is still around?


There are a couple of us still kicking about. I was there as far back as May '05 I think (fuck knows how I remember that). Think I remember you, picture seems familiar, names are a haze. Only olden time names I remember aside from CM were Shawn & Frosty - too many years on too many message boards I guess. I do remember you in that I remember there was another guy on the forum who was at school with CM.

I'm one of the terrible members who loves this place beyond measure but is too distracted to show up with anything like regularity.

Glad you're still about and that you've found your way here. You're the second fellow (I'm aware of - like I said - I'm a bit absent) to turn up from the old .net in the last couple weeks - though I think Nate mighta been from after you left.
Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare. - Guy de Maupassant
User avatar
wizid
 
Posts: 1761
+1s received: 190
Joined: 8 March 2013, 03:06
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 24 September 2020, 20:35

wizid, I think your name sounds familiar to me too. Here’s a picture of me now in case anyone was curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 25 September 2020, 00:34

Also here’s Jordan’s picture from my senior yearbook. Does anyone know why he decided to kill himself? I remember there being something about a note, and something to do with another kid from school. I don’t remember if that came from someone in the forum or someone I knew. I guess that was about a year after he graduated from high school.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 25 September 2020, 00:40

Was he in some kind of trouble with the law?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby stuff » 25 September 2020, 01:12

Was he?
stuff
 
Posts: 29
+1s received: 22
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby René » 25 September 2020, 01:28

I seem to vaguely recall something like that being mentioned in that context.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6452
+1s received: 2127
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Did GTF merge?

Unread postby wizid » 25 September 2020, 03:13

Yeah, he did something foolish, he was having drama with another kid from school and he solidly crossed that line of what's typically defensible of "boys will be boys" and "kids do dumb shit" and it looked like there wasn't any way he wasn't going to spend some time locked up somewhere and he did not want to do that - which frankly I can understand.
Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare. - Guy de Maupassant
User avatar
wizid
 
Posts: 1761
+1s received: 190
Joined: 8 March 2013, 03:06
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States (us)

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: azureflame, CommonCrawl [Bot], Facebook [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Severelius, stuff, wizid and 99 guests