Do you think people are born gay?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby bazcus » 15 October 2013, 06:29

Then again, maybe homosexuality IS a choice.

I know I chose to be gay when I noticed I was too weak to open a flask of pickles, so I thought

"DAMN, I NEED A HUSBAND"

[/bad joke]
User avatar
bazcus
 
Posts: 49
+1s received: 1
Joined: 23 September 2013, 03:46

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Descuff » 16 October 2013, 22:31

SilentBlack wrote:I have no idea. :)

I think it is due to a combination of environmental and genetic factors. I have read some articles stating sexuality develops as you grow older.


If there is an environmental factor like being fatherless it would like make you more feminine or respectful to women but not really... gay. If the factor was like being exposed to guys like 85% of the times (i.e. camp/all-boy school or something) it would probably make you more open to doing thing with guys or make you more curious, but really if you're not gay you'll go nice when you see a hot woman.

Conclusion: If there really are environmental factors, then it would be very minor in determining sexuality imo. It is actually the environment that determine WHEN you may realize you'll gay/bi/pan
I wonder how many people know this is down here
Image
User avatar
Descuff
 
Posts: 2251
+1s received: 19
Joined: 10 September 2013, 14:59
Country: United States (us)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Idwk255 » 18 October 2013, 06:40

Descuff wrote:
SilentBlack wrote:I have no idea. :)

I think it is due to a combination of environmental and genetic factors. I have read some articles stating sexuality develops as you grow older.


If there is an environmental factor like being fatherless it would like make you more feminine or respectful to women but not really... gay. If the factor was like being exposed to guys like 85% of the times (i.e. camp/all-boy school or something) it would probably make you more open to doing thing with guys or make you more curious, but really if you're not gay you'll go nice when you see a hot woman.

Conclusion: If there really are environmental factors, then it would be very minor in determining sexuality imo. It is actually the environment that determine WHEN you may realize you'll gay/bi/pan


That's a non-sequitur. Environmental factors =\= being fatherless and being exposed to guys like 85% of the times. Anyway, proper evidence (heritability studies) disagrees.

It is also revealing when someone makes an argument that totally ignores that other sex. It is fairly common for homosexuality to be misconceived as being a male trait. :facepalm:
Idwk255
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 13 August 2013, 07:05
Location: Oxford
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Descuff » 19 October 2013, 05:09

How exactly what I said is non-sequitur. Those are a few of many environmental factors. Also I didn't state anywhere that I was gonna use direct fact. Just an observation. Where is the link to such studies? I'm sure I'm not spot on about "85%" of times.

I wasn't really making an argument here. Just what I think the environmental factors consist of. I ignored the other gender for a specific reason. Not because I misconceived homosexuality as a male trait... Are you implying that I have a poor understanding of homosexuality based on one single post?
I wonder how many people know this is down here
Image
User avatar
Descuff
 
Posts: 2251
+1s received: 19
Joined: 10 September 2013, 14:59
Country: United States (us)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Idwk255 » 21 October 2013, 17:10

Descuff wrote:How exactly what I said is non-sequitur. Those are a few of many environmental factors. Also I didn't state anywhere that I was gonna use direct fact. Just an observation. Where is the link to such studies? I'm sure I'm not spot on about "85%" of times.

I wasn't really making an argument here. Just what I think the environmental factors consist of. I ignored the other gender for a specific reason. Not because I misconceived homosexuality as a male trait... Are you implying that I have a poor understanding of homosexuality based on one single post?


I considered it to be non-sequitur because of what you said, those mentioned factors are only two of many. It doesn't follow to then draw a conclusion about environmental contribution in it's entirety.

You can google heritability of homosexuality, ncbi (pubmed) is a good site to click on.

It seemed like an argument to me, premises followed by a conclusion. Regarding the gender comment, it was a joke.
Idwk255
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 13 August 2013, 07:05
Location: Oxford
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby rxxli » 21 October 2013, 20:58

Idwk255 wrote:It is also revealing when someone makes an argument that totally ignores that other sex. It is fairly common for homosexuality to be misconceived as being a male trait. :facepalm:

There is actually a pretty good reason for that too. I've read a few books/articles on this topic and apparently male and female homosexuality don't have a lot in common. Apparently they are very different and shouldn't be treated the same.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Upsidedownorangejuice » 22 October 2013, 06:26

rxxli wrote:
Idwk255 wrote:It is also revealing when someone makes an argument that totally ignores that other sex. It is fairly common for homosexuality to be misconceived as being a male trait. :facepalm:

There is actually a pretty good reason for that too. I've read a few books/articles on this topic and apparently male and female homosexuality don't have a lot in common. Apparently they are very different and shouldn't be treated the same.

how intresting
UPSIDEDOWNORANGEJUICE
User avatar
Upsidedownorangejuice
 
Posts: 325
+1s received: 1
Joined: 11 May 2013, 07:08
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Descuff » 23 October 2013, 03:09

Why would gay male and homo female have things in common...?

Heck one is even more acceptable by our pervy society.
I wonder how many people know this is down here
Image
User avatar
Descuff
 
Posts: 2251
+1s received: 19
Joined: 10 September 2013, 14:59
Country: United States (us)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Jamand » 14 December 2013, 22:07

Having just joined this forum, I've just come across this thread. Nobody has a choice in my opinion, it's all in the DNA, you're either more attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex. The only variable is that if people are gay/bisexual, at what age they choose to accept it. The only choice in the matter is if and when they come out of the closet and admit to others what they've known since whatever age.
Jamand
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 8 December 2013, 21:39
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby p » 15 December 2013, 00:13

probably a good thing science never figures this out.
p
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 25 November 2013, 00:52

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Alex75 » 15 December 2013, 23:20

I think that people must be. Although the argument against being born gay is that it doesn't make any biological sense as all animals overall goal is to procreate. It's stating the obvious but we gays come from as many different backgrounds, circumstances and upbringings as heterosexual people so I cannot see how it can be environmental.
Alex75
 
Posts: 6
+1s received: 1
Joined: 15 December 2013, 18:38
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby calandal » 16 December 2013, 01:23

Yes, I think people are born gay, but I think the causes are so complex that it'll be a long time before we even begin to understand them. The fraternal birth order effect is interesting, and I think this type of research is leading in the right direction. I do have three older brothers and "blaming" my sexuality on them saved me a lot of "why me" angst in my teens, so I'm particularly biased toward this explanation.
User avatar
calandal
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 14 August 2013, 01:02
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby histguy68 » 16 December 2013, 16:49

I absolutely think people are born gay. I think it's genetic because in the past four generations of my father's mother's side has at least one homosexual person. My great aunt, my grandmother's two twin brothers, my uncle and now me! Ironically my grandmother is a completely homophobic.
Nature is extremely balanced when left on its own. Human's on the other hand are not. I've sometimes thought (with no scientific backings what so ever) that maybe being gay could be a mutation to stem population control haha though of that is the case it doesn't seem to be working.
histguy68
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 14 July 2013, 12:34
Country: United States (us)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby p » 17 December 2013, 16:00

?there might be many human emotional traits that pre determined;
gay or straight
alpha or passive
organized or cluttered

it dosnt have to be totally genetic but still your born that way and its a feeling that is nothing you can change with any big success.

gay is likely to be based on something that serves a purpose because it has not gone away in thousands of generations. Maybe the ability to better form same sex bonds is needed in an over populated environment and gays will always be city rats.
p
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 25 November 2013, 00:52

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Eryx » 18 December 2013, 02:02

6 pages and the discussion didn't evolve.
ImageImageImage Image Image Image ImageImage

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
— Harlan Ellison
User avatar
Eryx
 
Posts: 3079
+1s received: 2030
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:48
Location: Belo Horizonte, MG
Country: Brazil (br)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby p » 19 December 2013, 16:33

Eryx wrote:6 pages and the discussion didn't evolve.
you can make it happen.
p
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 25 November 2013, 00:52

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Paragon » 19 December 2013, 16:41

p wrote:
Eryx wrote:6 pages and the discussion didn't evolve.
you can make it happen.

Not really. All the best points were in the first few pages and we pretty much have made a decisive conclusion. But every new person is going to come in here and not read any of that and still put in their two cents.
Image
User avatar
Paragon
Moderator
 
Posts: 3026
+1s received: 42
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Boston, The Holy See
Country: United States (us)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby GayHoosier » 19 December 2013, 17:53

I think so, or that it somehow becomes ingrained/brought out in someone later in life. I still wonder why it is that some guys who've been raped, namely by male family members, turn out to become homosexual, if they weren't already.
Last edited by GayHoosier on 22 December 2013, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
GayHoosier
 
Posts: 610
+1s received: 1
Joined: 31 May 2013, 06:44

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Josiemonster » 19 December 2013, 17:55

GayHoosier wrote:I think so, or that it somehow becomes ingrained in someone later in life. I still wonder why it is that a lot of guys who've been raped, namely by male family members, turn out to be homosexual.

How do you know that? Where have you got this 'a lot' from?
User avatar
Josiemonster
 
Posts: 2013
+1s received: 8
Joined: 29 January 2013, 22:26
Location: Bournemouth
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Do you think people are born gay?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 19 December 2013, 18:17

GayHoosier wrote:I think so, or that it somehow becomes ingrained in someone later in life.


Worst answer to a thread ever.

Do I think people are born gay or do they become gay? Oh yes, it's definitely one of those.

Thanks for the insight.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8579
+1s received: 3291
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Eryx, Mojeek [Bot], rogonandi, TennesseeJosh, Yandex [Bot] and 77 guests