Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Jacketh » 4 January 2022, 07:28

glückspilz wrote:
Jacketh wrote:To go on a date! I've never been on one. Like, a proper one.


So, what's a proper date in your eyes?


I think some people just date casually a lot, right? Like, I know people who go on two/three dates a week. I don't really understand that, but I think I'm a bit conservative compared to most people on this front. Mentally it seems like they're doing it for a fun night out, which it should be I guess, but for me in the back of my head would be (and when I say a proper one) "can I see myself with this person long term" and investing myself a little bit more into it.

I don't think I'm capable of dates "on the side" for a bit of fun like some people. I can get waaaay too emotionally invested too quickly I think to the point it can be a hyperfixation (even with friends), so pity the fool who ends up dating me :P

I'm in Scotland now, and I do (largely) like the accent - so no excuses :D
User avatar
Jacketh
 
Posts: 634
+1s received: 352
Joined: 30 January 2015, 00:12
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby rogonandi » 4 January 2022, 10:20

Marmaduke wrote:Nah, I went through a period of a few years of wearing contacts. I’ve decided I prefer glasses. I think I suit them more, though that may just be because I’m so used to seeing myself in them. I think they frame my face a bit. I’m usually pretty good with them, I think I’ve only ever broken one pair and this is the closest I’ve come to losing a pair.

Aren’t contact lenses also kind of uncomfortable? My husband never wears them because of that.
Image
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2219
+1s received: 1476
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Marmaduke » 4 January 2022, 11:53

rogonandi wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Nah, I went through a period of a few years of wearing contacts. I’ve decided I prefer glasses. I think I suit them more, though that may just be because I’m so used to seeing myself in them. I think they frame my face a bit. I’m usually pretty good with them, I think I’ve only ever broken one pair and this is the closest I’ve come to losing a pair.

Aren’t contact lenses also kind of uncomfortable? My husband never wears them because of that.

If I wore them for too long, my eyes got a bit dry, but no, I never really found them uncomfortable. You just forget they’re in.

Did he just order them online or get them from an optician? Because I know of someone that just ordered to their basic prescription and actually needed toric lenses because they had astigmatism. That could maybe explain it if he finds them acutely uncomfortable.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8443
+1s received: 3178
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Brenden » 4 January 2022, 16:32

pozzie wrote:I don't need to be part of the crowd and frankly, anything worth doing is worth doing right now - not because of some silly 'tradition' that is strongly tied to the farcical ways so many good intentions bite the dust of reality.

Milestone dates are good psychological opportunities to make life changes. So is informing others of intended life changes, as being held to account by social relations is a strong motivator.

pozzie wrote:So that's my way of saying make 2022 better for you by freeing yourself from social convention!

That we delineate today as being in "2022" and last Tuesday as being in "2021" is a social convention, so why don't you free yourself from that convention too while you're at it? ;)
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9039
+1s received: 3451
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Brenden » 4 January 2022, 16:34

rogonandi wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Nah, I went through a period of a few years of wearing contacts. I’ve decided I prefer glasses. I think I suit them more, though that may just be because I’m so used to seeing myself in them. I think they frame my face a bit. I’m usually pretty good with them, I think I’ve only ever broken one pair and this is the closest I’ve come to losing a pair.

Aren’t contact lenses also kind of uncomfortable? My husband never wears them because of that.

I find they're more comfortable if I keep them in for a few days at a time.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9039
+1s received: 3451
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby René » 4 January 2022, 19:51

Jacketh wrote:
glückspilz wrote:
Jacketh wrote:To go on a date! I've never been on one. Like, a proper one.

So, what's a proper date in your eyes?

I think some people just date casually a lot, right? Like, I know people who go on two/three dates a week. I don't really understand that, but I think I'm a bit conservative compared to most people on this front. Mentally it seems like they're doing it for a fun night out, which it should be I guess, but for me in the back of my head would be (and when I say a proper one) "can I see myself with this person long term" and investing myself a little bit more into it.

I feel the same way.

Jacketh wrote:I don't think I'm capable of dates "on the side" for a bit of fun like some people. I can get waaaay too emotionally invested too quickly I think to the point it can be a hyperfixation (even with friends), so pity the fool who ends up dating me :P

Oh, I reckon he'll be a lucky guy :keke:

rogonandi wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Nah, I went through a period of a few years of wearing contacts. I’ve decided I prefer glasses. I think I suit them more, though that may just be because I’m so used to seeing myself in them. I think they frame my face a bit. I’m usually pretty good with them, I think I’ve only ever broken one pair and this is the closest I’ve come to losing a pair.

Aren’t contact lenses also kind of uncomfortable? My husband never wears them because of that.

For me, actually wearing them (soft, silicon hydrogel ones — Acuvue Oasys especially) isn't uncomfortable at all unless I keep them in for too long, though my eyes get dryer in the night afterward which can be very uncomfortable and disrupt my sleep. But that's a problem I had already (caused by isotretinoin acne treatment years ago) which just gets worsened by them.

Brenden wrote:
rogonandi wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Nah, I went through a period of a few years of wearing contacts. I’ve decided I prefer glasses. I think I suit them more, though that may just be because I’m so used to seeing myself in them. I think they frame my face a bit. I’m usually pretty good with them, I think I’ve only ever broken one pair and this is the closest I’ve come to losing a pair.

Aren’t contact lenses also kind of uncomfortable? My husband never wears them because of that.

I find they're more comfortable if I keep them in for a few days at a time.

It's important to note most types of contact lens aren't meant to be used like this and improper use can cause serious eye damage. We're using mainly Acuvue Oasys, which supports up to 6 days' continuous wear.

I never wear contacts during sleep myself because my eyes feel absolutely terrible after.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7781
+1s received: 2855
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Derek » 4 January 2022, 19:54

I should get lasik. I'm sick of being a fucking nerd. I'm ready to take off my glasses and become beautiful.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7028
+1s received: 2753
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby René » 4 January 2022, 20:07

Derek wrote:I should get lasik. I'm sick of being a fucking nerd. I'm ready to take off my glasses and become beautiful.

I've looked into it periodically and always decided against due to the pain after the procedure and potential for unsatisfactory results, side effects like impaired night vision and dry eyes, and later relapse (indeed the only person I know to have had LASIK or anything similar done was back to needing to wear contacts/glasses within a few years).

I don't think the technology is there yet, at least not by my standards.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7781
+1s received: 2855
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Derek » 4 January 2022, 20:31

Everyone I know who's had it has been happy with the results. The only thing holding me back is laziness.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7028
+1s received: 2753
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 4 January 2022, 21:38

Brenden wrote:
pozzie wrote:So that's my way of saying make 2022 better for you by freeing yourself from social convention!

That we delineate today as being in "2022" and last Tuesday as being in "2021" is a social convention, so why don't you free yourself from that convention too while you're at it? ;)


Frankly, I don't really think about my life in quite the same way - a fortnight is more meaningful to me as a quantifier of my life and one thing that actually annoys me is the repetition that the annual cycle provides: so many things are so predictable and I can find that a bit boring. So yeah, the year doesn't have a lot of meaning for me and I guess we can say that of a number of social conventions and me.

And what's stopping someone from getting the support they need to get healthier by telling their mates in May (speedo season is around the corner!) or in September?

Another 'issue' I have with New Year's Resolutions is that they are twisted into yet another marketing ploy. Watch advertising and I'm guessing you'll see it mentioned - at least that was my memory before I opt-ed out of THAT social convention as much as possible.

If forum users need help getting healthier - which is always a good thing - we can always start a getting healthy thread or a goals thread where people check in periodically to offer that kind of support.

Either way it works for the individual - just do it! (I hope Nike doesn't troll the web for trade mark infringement.)
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 4 January 2022, 21:45

Jacketh wrote:I think some people just date casually a lot, right? Like, I know people who go on two/three dates a week. I don't really understand that, but I think I'm a bit conservative compared to most people on this front. Mentally it seems like they're doing it for a fun night out, which it should be I guess, but for me in the back of my head would be (and when I say a proper one) "can I see myself with this person long term" and investing myself a little bit more into it.


I guess in my mind, "proper date" would be a much bigger deal - kinda like what we see in movies with the excess primping and (in olden days) the guy bringing a gift (flowers, candy, fancy lube). Think dinner and a show or dancing, dressed up. Kind of like a job interview though more romantic.

A "casual date" is more like: hey, busy tonight? No, you? Let's see if we can catch the latest Spider-Man.... It's just friends with a (possible) romantic interest agreeing to hang out.

But that's the way I see it - anyone got a different idea?
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 5 January 2022, 20:33

Here's a fake headline from today's online local news website: "Stick to your New Year’s resolution with these home gym deals on bikes, boxing gear, massage guns"

This is exactly the marketing BS I was talking about.
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby PopTart » 5 January 2022, 20:34

Belated Happy New Year all.

I don't do new years resolutions. I feel compelled to try to achieve them, rather than pursuing them naturally. I hate being compelled, even if I'm doing the compelling and wind up being contrary.

Things I'd like to do this year include, getting back to the gym, as soon as covid fucks off. I want to buy a new (used) car. I miss my mobility. I'd like to discard some of my mismatched furniture and build some of my own.

I'm considering a change of career. Might look into that too.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 3759
+1s received: 2854
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Brenden » 5 January 2022, 20:49

pozzie wrote:
Brenden wrote:
pozzie wrote:So that's my way of saying make 2022 better for you by freeing yourself from social convention!

That we delineate today as being in "2022" and last Tuesday as being in "2021" is a social convention, so why don't you free yourself from that convention too while you're at it? ;)

Frankly, I don't really think about my life in quite the same way - a fortnight is more meaningful to me as a quantifier of my life and one thing that actually annoys me is the repetition that the annual cycle provides: so many things are so predictable and I can find that a bit boring. So yeah, the year doesn't have a lot of meaning for me and I guess we can say that of a number of social conventions and me.

You're missing my point.

Also, fortnight is an even more arbitrary division of time than a year, since at least the year has an astronomical and seasonal basis.

pozzie wrote:And what's stopping someone from getting the support they need to get healthier by telling their mates in May (speedo season is around the corner!) or in September?

Nothing. But perhaps their mates will be less likely to remember since it's not tied to a specific and notable point in time.

pozzie wrote:Another 'issue' I have with New Year's Resolutions is that they are twisted into yet another marketing ploy.

What isn't?
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9039
+1s received: 3451
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 5 January 2022, 21:14

Brenden wrote:
pozzie wrote:
Brenden wrote:
pozzie wrote:So that's my way of saying make 2022 better for you by freeing yourself from social convention!

That we delineate today as being in "2022" and last Tuesday as being in "2021" is a social convention, so why don't you free yourself from that convention too while you're at it? ;)

Frankly, I don't really think about my life in quite the same way - a fortnight is more meaningful to me as a quantifier of my life and one thing that actually annoys me is the repetition that the annual cycle provides: so many things are so predictable and I can find that a bit boring. So yeah, the year doesn't have a lot of meaning for me and I guess we can say that of a number of social conventions and me.

You're missing my point.

Also, fortnight is an even more arbitrary division of time than a year, since at least the year has an astronomical and seasonal basis.


reread the bolded section a couple times please. I have no interest in setting up calendars for other people's lives nor did I claim to. I was only writing about what is most meaningful in the rhythm of my life.
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Brenden » 5 January 2022, 21:23

lol, you’re still missing my point, Mr “Free Yourself From Social Convention” Edgelord.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9039
+1s received: 3451
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 5 January 2022, 22:25

Brenden wrote:lol, you’re still missing my point, Mr “Free Yourself From Social Convention” Edgelord.


well then, you clearly haven't made your point cogently enough for your intended audience, Mr Ménage a trois Hausfrau.
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby Derek » 6 January 2022, 01:52

Get his ass
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7028
+1s received: 2753
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby pozzie » 6 January 2022, 02:41

Surely that'd be a ménage à quatre and would violate a holy writ of some sort.
User avatar
pozzie
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 157
Joined: 4 June 2021, 20:43
Location: Oregon USA

Re: Happy New Year! — 2022 New Year's Resolutions

Unread postby PopTart » 7 January 2022, 06:01

I honestly thought that was Derek's new years resolution.

To get someone's ass.

I did think it was somewhat out of character.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 3759
+1s received: 2854
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Brenden, CommonCrawl [Bot], JamiePrince16, Severelius, Seznam [Bot] and 102 guests