Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Talk about anything and everything.

Are there ever times where it is polite to actively hide your sexuality?

Yes
9
64%
No
5
36%
 
Total votes : 14

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 10 July 2019, 14:34

This thread saddens me. The way I express it often it it makes me fell hollow. The thought that so many LGBT find it "inappropriate" to simply be who they are. Honestly I do as well. I have and wear bracelets that are "pride" anywhere from rather obvious to not so much but still there to see.

But I too would remove it in certain circumstances. In particular when small kids are around. I don't like to make the parents of those kids feel <fill in the blank, doesn't matter>. That's really on me. It's my phobia. But at the same time I know I was totally conditioned to be that way.

After each time it happens I end up questioning myself about my courage/inability to be able to take a stand, for myself and for others.

If there's anything that makes me wish I could have a do-over in life, it's wrapped around that for me. My lack of taking a stance.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 4410
+1s received: 2113
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby LostGuy94 » 10 July 2019, 14:52

Strictly speaking you shouldn't feel that you have to hide it but in situations like that if people have some way of knowing you are LGBT they may potentially feel uncomfortable, I went on a ride where you get soaked the other day and decided to jump in a dryer thing with three other lads who I did not know, all four of us were shirtless in there and I do wonder what would be thought if they discovered that I'm gay. When I jumped in I thought nothing of it, just that I'm drying off after being soaked through from the ride.
User avatar
LostGuy94
 
Posts: 182
+1s received: 199
Joined: 19 January 2019, 18:30
Location: North East, England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 16:27

mxguy01 wrote:This thread saddens me. The way I express it often it it makes me fell hollow. The thought that so many LGBT find it "inappropriate" to simply be who they are.

Being gay isn't who I am, it's an aspect of who I am, but not, the be all and end all of who I am :P

I'm quite happy to express the whole gamut of my identity and frequently do so, but I also recognise that there are times where it can be better, not to give expression to some aspect of my personality, for example, I love to tell lurid jokes and recount sexual exploits I've had, in detail! But I recognise that doing so in a room full of children, is not appropriate.

I have serious misgivings about organised religions and their dogma's but I opt not to voice or broadcast those opinions, in the midst of a friends church wedding, mid service.

This thread doesn't make me feel sad, instead, it makes me wonder, how important is it to gay people, that we be "out" all the time? What does that say, if anything?
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby rogonandi » 10 July 2019, 16:42

PopTart wrote:I'm quite happy to express the whole gamut of my identity and frequently do so, but I also recognise that there are times where it can be better, not to give expression to some aspect of my personality, for example, I love to tell lurid jokes and recount sexual exploits I've had, in detail! But I recognise that doing so in a room full of children, is not appropriate.


So does that mean that being gay has the same connotations as telling a lurid joke or recounting sexual exploits?
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.

Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1368
+1s received: 873
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 17:02

rogonandi wrote:
PopTart wrote:I'm quite happy to express the whole gamut of my identity and frequently do so, but I also recognise that there are times where it can be better, not to give expression to some aspect of my personality, for example, I love to tell lurid jokes and recount sexual exploits I've had, in detail! But I recognise that doing so in a room full of children, is not appropriate.


So does that mean that being gay has the same connotations as telling a lurid joke or recounting sexual exploits?

No more so than expressing counter views regarding religion might have. I can see what your reaching at here, but it's a misunderstanding of my arguement. I don't imply that being gay, is akin to be dirty or rude or objectionable. It can be controversial and pretending otherwise, while we march in parade demanding equality and recognition, would be foolish.

The dream of becoming tolerated, perhaps even accepted, is that people can engage in relations and relationships with other people, regardless of the participants genders or orientations and to have wider society, not even give it a second thought, to think it no different from the "normative" relationships they, themselves have.

We are either mainstream, just like everyone else, or we stand out from the crowd, set apart by those things that divide us and I think the gay commuity is in a schism of sorts, not yet ready to take itself out of the catergory of "other" just yet, and the security it affords (and it does afford security of a sorts) not feeling secure enough in being regarded as "just like everyone else" But perhaps thats a wider conversation :shrug: Perhaps I'm flat out wrong :lol:

As I said, I don't wear badges and pins, with rainbow flags, but then, I don't wear badges and pins for my favourite bands, I'm not 15 and it's something I did back then and I guess, I associate it with that kind of need to be known for that part of myself that seemed so largely important back then. Perhaps for other people, those kinds of things carry other meanings, perhaps the display of those kinds of things means something else. I feel silly when I wear them :shrug: Who am I trying to prove something to?
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 10 July 2019, 20:01

It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 4410
+1s received: 2113
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 20:37

mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

Since you want to be a needlessly hostile ahole Marty, then let's do this shall we?

What is it that upsets you the most about my views? Is it that my expressions that rainbow flag accessories are akin to love heart stickers on a high school girls work books? Because I know what a huge achievement you feel it is to wear yours so brazenly, what a profound statement that is for someone who has the emotional range of a cunt hair.

Or maybe it's the fact that other people can be so comfortable in their sexuality that they dont require pseudo talismans to give them courage and strength and sense of their own self worth. Not that youd know, since you couldnt even muster the courage to explain to your wife and kids why you ditched them. Let them find out via the lawyers pooring g through your statements and sneer at them for their ignoring you after, the way you ignored their right to know, you cantankerous, mean spirited old shit.

Fuck you.
Last edited by PopTart on 10 July 2019, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby lightnight » 10 July 2019, 20:43

You have the right to reveal as much or as little about yourself as however you see appropriate.
Image
User avatar
lightnight
 
Posts: 1255
+1s received: 360
Joined: 18 May 2015, 02:39

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 10 July 2019, 21:28

PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

Since you want to be a needlessly hostile ahole Marty, then let's do this shall we?

What is it that upsets you the most about my views? Is it that my expressions that rainbow flag accessories are akin to love heart stickers on a high school girls work books? Because I know what a huge achievement you feel it is to wear yours so brazenly, what a profound statement that is for someone who has the emotional range of a cunt hair.

Or maybe it's the fact that other people can be so comfortable in their sexuality that they dont require pseudo talismans to give them courage and strength and sense of their own self worth. Not that youd know, since you couldnt even muster the courage to explain to your wife and kids why you ditched them. Let them find out via the lawyers pooring g through your statements and sneer at them for their ignoring you after, the way you ignored their right to know, you cantankerous, mean spirited old shit.

Fuck you.


Hum, you seemed to have removed your original post and replaced it with the above.

mxguy01 wrote:...
PopTart wrote:...
Uh huh, okay Marty ;)


Is it not quite amazing how it's not me writing with all the hate and ugliness and yet be called that. LoL

What can I say PopTart, "love the new image" you portray of yourself in this. Not really but also I really lack any concern around it as well.

Oh, and your PM was sweet too:
PopTart wrote:Whatever your problem is, it's your problem and i want none of it.

I amended my reply on the thread, since u9y weren't happy with what I put before so, enjoy it.

Oh and if you think for a second that I'll be your new whipping boy, like Poole has been and anyone else you dont take a liking to, you got another thing coming.

Oh and I wasnt offering you a fuck, you decrepit sad sack. In your fucking dreams.


I suggest more drugs. You're having great results on them.

BTW for peoples edification so they don't go imagining bizzare stuff, the reference to fucking was I made fun of his telling me to fuck off by saying no thank you. LoL Apparently he missed the humor in my reply.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 4410
+1s received: 2113
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 21:38

mxguy01 wrote:
PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

Since you want to be a needlessly hostile ahole Marty, then let's do this shall we?

What is it that upsets you the most about my views? Is it that my expressions that rainbow flag accessories are akin to love heart stickers on a high school girls work books? Because I know what a huge achievement you feel it is to wear yours so brazenly, what a profound statement that is for someone who has the emotional range of a cunt hair.

Or maybe it's the fact that other people can be so comfortable in their sexuality that they dont require pseudo talismans to give them courage and strength and sense of their own self worth. Not that youd know, since you couldnt even muster the courage to explain to your wife and kids why you ditched them. Let them find out via the lawyers pooring g through your statements and sneer at them for their ignoring you after, the way you ignored their right to know, you cantankerous, mean spirited old shit.

Fuck you.


Hum, you seemed to have removed your original post and replaced it with the above.

mxguy01 wrote:...
PopTart wrote:...
Uh huh, okay Marty ;)


Is it not quite amazing how it's not me writing with all the hate and ugliness and yet be called that. LoL

What can I say PopTart, "love the new image" you portray of yourself in this. Not really but also I really lack any concern around it as well.

Seriously? I'm just here, talking with the people on the forum, when you send me a PM, telling me to say something of substance or keep my mouth shut, in effect and I'm the one being hostile?

I have no idea what you problem is, I used to ignore your hateful attitude of other members here, I saw in you redeeming qualities but maybe i was wrong and all it takes to earn this attitude from you is.... having an opinion you dont agree with? Well come at me all you like, but just remember this, I'm not the sort to back down and run away, I'm not the sort to be intimidated and I'm not the sort to delete my PMS and I have everything you've ever said to me, so do me a favour, do not talk to me, here or in PM, you stay the fuck out of my way. Or I will share with all those you have run down here, the things you have said about them, make no mistake Marty, I will not put up with your infantile bullshit.

Nor will I have you revising what you have said, to portray yourself as some injured party when everyone knows exactly what kind of person you are.

So much for our friendship.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 21:50

mxguy01 wrote:I suggest more drugs. You're having great results on them.

I'm on morphine following major surgery dipshit.

What exactly is your fucking problem Marty? What on earth inspired your attitude both in your hostile response in this thread and then to inspire you to send me a pm, telling me to shut up, when I correctly identified that something I said had upset you?

Why not try being a grown up for once you man child, and actually vocalising your feelings, it couldn't possibly be that hard, I doubt your feelings are that complicated.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 10 July 2019, 22:03

PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:
PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

Since you want to be a needlessly hostile ahole Marty, then let's do this shall we?

What is it that upsets you the most about my views? Is it that my expressions that rainbow flag accessories are akin to love heart stickers on a high school girls work books? Because I know what a huge achievement you feel it is to wear yours so brazenly, what a profound statement that is for someone who has the emotional range of a cunt hair.

Or maybe it's the fact that other people can be so comfortable in their sexuality that they dont require pseudo talismans to give them courage and strength and sense of their own self worth. Not that youd know, since you couldnt even muster the courage to explain to your wife and kids why you ditched them. Let them find out via the lawyers pooring g through your statements and sneer at them for their ignoring you after, the way you ignored their right to know, you cantankerous, mean spirited old shit.

Fuck you.


Hum, you seemed to have removed your original post and replaced it with the above.

mxguy01 wrote:...
PopTart wrote:...
Uh huh, okay Marty ;)


Is it not quite amazing how it's not me writing with all the hate and ugliness and yet be called that. LoL

What can I say PopTart, "love the new image" you portray of yourself in this. Not really but also I really lack any concern around it as well.

Seriously? I'm just here, talking with the people on the forum, when you send me a PM, telling me to say something of substance or keep my mouth shut, in effect and I'm the one being hostile?

I have no idea what you problem is, I used to ignore your hateful attitude of other members here, I saw in you redeeming qualities but maybe i was wrong and all it takes to earn this attitude from you is.... having an opinion you dont agree with? Well come at me all you like, but just remember this, I'm not the sort to back down and run away, I'm not the sort to be intimidated and I'm not the sort to delete my PMS and I have everything you've ever said to me, so do me a favour, do not talk to me, here or in PM, you stay the fuck out of my way. Or I will share with all those you have run down here, the things you have said about them, make no mistake Marty, I will not put up with your infantile bullshit.

Nor will I have you revising what you have said, to portray yourself as some injured party when everyone knows exactly what kind of person you are.

So much for our friendship.


PopTart, feel free to share any and all PMs from me. Not a single thing I ever wrote in those PMs would embarrass me.

Another FYI, PT was reviewing/commenting on letters I was writing to my kids. At the time, his being a friend. The shit storm happened. PT and I forget the guy's username as he kept changing it ghosted from the site. That was the last I heard from PT until his re-appearance.

Honestly, getting ghosted by an "internet friend" should not have hurt me but it kind of did. You know I use to not express my feelings, ever, to anyone, because of shame but I'm over that. A lot of that is just because of my recent history of loosing so many from my life. The good news was I recognized my rather unhealthy dependency on this forum. That was went I went noticeably absent. It was good for me. Also force me to pursue my other avenues (meetup groups) that are the correct way for me to achieve what I need.

So in short PT I put it behind me. Like you said though, I'm not one to take shit either am I. I had been not responding to your post. No likes, no stances. But because I pointed out that there is a "them" and an "what" the issue is really about it resulted in a "snarky" comment from you. Yeah, let's just not go down that path. If you stop, then I'll stop. But if you don't stop, I guess you realize I wont back down either.

So in the end what transpired had a beneficial effect. Also understand that ghosting someone like that, you kill any friendship there may have existed.

On the second time around, perhaps I'll skip the charades for you and just be me. I'll let you portray all the negativity you want.

Again this is where I get to use the phrase "move along little doggie". Just move on.

So PT, please share every PM. You post as if I have something to hide just to make me look bad? Go ahead and follow through. Come on, you can do better than that.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 4410
+1s received: 2113
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 22:12

mxguy01 wrote:
PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:
PopTart wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

Since you want to be a needlessly hostile ahole Marty, then let's do this shall we?

What is it that upsets you the most about my views? Is it that my expressions that rainbow flag accessories are akin to love heart stickers on a high school girls work books? Because I know what a huge achievement you feel it is to wear yours so brazenly, what a profound statement that is for someone who has the emotional range of a cunt hair.

Or maybe it's the fact that other people can be so comfortable in their sexuality that they dont require pseudo talismans to give them courage and strength and sense of their own self worth. Not that youd know, since you couldnt even muster the courage to explain to your wife and kids why you ditched them. Let them find out via the lawyers pooring g through your statements and sneer at them for their ignoring you after, the way you ignored their right to know, you cantankerous, mean spirited old shit.

Fuck you.


Hum, you seemed to have removed your original post and replaced it with the above.

mxguy01 wrote:...
PopTart wrote:...
Uh huh, okay Marty ;)


Is it not quite amazing how it's not me writing with all the hate and ugliness and yet be called that. LoL

What can I say PopTart, "love the new image" you portray of yourself in this. Not really but also I really lack any concern around it as well.

Seriously? I'm just here, talking with the people on the forum, when you send me a PM, telling me to say something of substance or keep my mouth shut, in effect and I'm the one being hostile?

I have no idea what you problem is, I used to ignore your hateful attitude of other members here, I saw in you redeeming qualities but maybe i was wrong and all it takes to earn this attitude from you is.... having an opinion you dont agree with? Well come at me all you like, but just remember this, I'm not the sort to back down and run away, I'm not the sort to be intimidated and I'm not the sort to delete my PMS and I have everything you've ever said to me, so do me a favour, do not talk to me, here or in PM, you stay the fuck out of my way. Or I will share with all those you have run down here, the things you have said about them, make no mistake Marty, I will not put up with your infantile bullshit.

Nor will I have you revising what you have said, to portray yourself as some injured party when everyone knows exactly what kind of person you are.

So much for our friendship.


PopTart, feel free to share any and all PMs from me. Not a single thing I ever wrote in those PMs would embarrass me.

Another FYI, PT was reviewing/commenting on letters I was writing to my kids. At the time, his being a friend. The shit storm happened. PT and I forget the guy's username as he kept changing it ghosted from the site. That was the last I heard from PT until his re-appearance.

Honestly, getting ghosted by an "internet friend" should not have hurt me but it kind of did. You know I use to not express my feelings, ever, to anyone, because of shame but I'm over that. A lot of that is just because of my recent history of loosing so many from my life. The good news was I recognized my rather unhealthy dependency on this forum. That was went I went noticeably absent. It was good for me. Also force me to pursue my other avenues (meetup groups) that are the correct way for me to achieve what I need.

So in short PT I put it behind me. Like you said though, I'm not one to take shit either am I. I had been not responding to your post. No likes, no stances. But because I pointed out that there is a "them" and an "what" the issue is really about it resulted in a "snarky" comment from you. Yeah, let's just not go down that path. If you stop, then I'll stop. But if you don't stop, I guess you realize I wont back down either.

So in the end what transpired had a beneficial effect. Also understand that ghosting someone like that, you kill any friendship there may have existed.

On the second time around, perhaps I'll skip the charades for you and just be me. I'll let you portray all the negativity you want.

Again this is where I get to use the phrase "move along little doggie". Just move on.

So PT, please share every PM. You post as if I have something to hide just to make me look bad? Go ahead and follow through. Come on, you can do better than that.

Marty, I didn't ghost you, I get it must have seemed that way, but I moved house, bought a new place, things have been chaos, I only recently got internet here, because I couldn't afford it prior and my phone had limited data plan. I don't know who this other guy is, I haven't been around here, I have no idea what shitstorm your refering to.

Is that what this is all about? I thought I'd upset you about the band thing, I didn't comment too much in specific, i figured your blood was up, but at the same time, couldn't for my pride, let your attitude go on remarked, because I felt it wasn't fair. I felt I deserved better from you. So put the "Uh huh, Okay Marty" comment. Not productive I know, but I was taken aback.

I had noticed you hadn't been commenting to me directly, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I'm heavily dosed atm and would have got round to talking toyou properly whan I could make more sense. I wanted to participate on the forum abit, being I haven't had much time to do so lately.

I'm sorry to have said the things I did :(
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby Brenden » 10 July 2019, 22:16

mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 6840
+1s received: 1700
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 22:25

Brenden wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.

Back on topic, this, I can kind of agree with. I think it costs nothing, no pride nor dignity, to give alittle consideration, to how others might feel, even if we don't agree with it. It's no less than what we seek from the majority community around us, surely?
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby rogonandi » 10 July 2019, 22:27

Brenden wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.


Does every single male in the locker room think someone with a rainbow thing is going to assault or leer at them?
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.

Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1368
+1s received: 873
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby Brenden » 10 July 2019, 22:34

PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.

Back on topic, this, I can kind of agree with. I think it costs nothing, no pride nor dignity, to give alittle consideration, to how others might feel, even if we don't agree with it. It's no less than what we seek from the majority community around us, surely?

Well, I think the feelings in this case, assuming they come from self-consciousness, are perfectly understandable. I myself would feel very self-conscious and awkward knowing I were in a locker room with gay men or straight women.

rogonandi wrote:Does every single male in the locker room think someone with a rainbow thing is going to assault or leer at them?

Where do I suggest fear of assault or leering? I'm talking about simple self-consciousness about one's physical appearance and awkwardness about sexuality (not in the sense of orientation; would be the same if it were two straight opposite-sex individuals).
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 6840
+1s received: 1700
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby René » 10 July 2019, 22:34

PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.

Back on topic, this, I can kind of agree with. I think it costs nothing, no pride nor dignity, to give alittle consideration, to how others might feel, even if we don't agree with it. It's no less than what we seek from the majority community around us, surely?

I wouldn't say I "disagree with" people feeling awkward. It's not their fault and there's nothing necessarily anti-gay about it (as Brenden just alluded to) :)
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4696
+1s received: 1177
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby PopTart » 10 July 2019, 22:45

René wrote:
PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:It's quite simple. He was wearing a wrist band with his apple watch. His favorite band just happens to be pride colors. BFD. Pretty simple. Pretty innocent. But yet, society has conditioned him to be concerned that he is acting somehow inapproprate. < there you have the who and what.

You're leaving out the full context: in a locker room with men in states of undress.

Being naked around people who might sexualise you can make you feel very self-conscious. It is absolutely considerate and appropriate to be discreet about sexuality in such situations.

Back on topic, this, I can kind of agree with. I think it costs nothing, no pride nor dignity, to give alittle consideration, to how others might feel, even if we don't agree with it. It's no less than what we seek from the majority community around us, surely?

I wouldn't say I "disagree with" people feeling awkward. It's not their fault and there's nothing necessarily anti-gay about it (as Brenden just alluded to) :)

I was assuming that the source of the discomfort might come from the attention being homosexual in nature, and not just, sexual attention. So yes, I can see your point.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Is it sometimes more appropriate to hide your sexuality?

Unread postby rogonandi » 10 July 2019, 22:50

Well I do know for some people, rainbow trinkets might end up being the only way they can advertise that they're gay and also to show other people who are gay (even kids who are confused about their identity) that they're not abjectly alone in the world.
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.

Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1368
+1s received: 873
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 910 guests