New theme available for testing - update

Talk about anything and everything.

New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 4 December 2016, 21:32

I've just made the following changes; some of these also apply to the other theme, but I figured I'd list them all here in one place for now:

  • You can now +1 posts, which is similar to liking posts/comments on Facebook.

    +1s are displayed underneath posts, and they add up to create a kind of karma value which is displayed next to your posts and in your profile.

    I used AJAX so that it should work very smoothly, without any page reloads needed.

    Give it a try :D

    On Quarto, you'll want to click the thumbs-up icon.
  • You can now jump to the first unread post in a thread by clicking the large Image icon to its left in indexes and search results.

    (This will also work in other themes.)
  • Like in the other themes, a festive icon is now shown next to your posts and in your profile when it's your birthday.
  • YouTube videos are now embedded in a responsive way, so they should appear perfectly on all screen sizes, including on phones.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and other improvements

As always, please let me know if anything isn't working properly.

We're not far off from rolling Quarto out as the default theme now. :keke: Sorry it's taken so long!!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 4 December 2016, 21:32

poolerboy0077 wrote:Can we have an option for different genders and sexual orientations? Mine changes every day depending on my mood.

Yes. Would you like a "First name" field while I'm at it?

yagyug wrote:I know it's a bit of a case of deckchairs on the titanic, but it'd be good if we could use some media queries to strip out like 90% of what's on the screen on mobile devices. It adds a lot of clutter, pushes content way below the fold, and adds very little to the user experice.

Case in point, I reduced some padding, applied a few text-align: center's and just deleted everything that pretty much wasn't a hamburger menu or actual fresh content and wound up with this:

gfo1.png


Compared to this:
gfo2.png


The problem with mobile (and even desktop) is that in subforums you can't even tell where the new posts start. It's like we're challenging new users to work things out. I've dropped a few stickied posts already to combat this, but still.

Hang on... you're much better at designing responsive themes than the responsive-theme creator, aren't you? :shifty:

Tell me more about these media queries.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Tony » 4 December 2016, 23:10

Awesome, sounds great René! :thumbsup:
Tony
 
Posts: 3292
+1s received: 194
Joined: 24 October 2014, 20:30
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for initial testing

Unread postby Jacketh » 5 December 2016, 04:25

yagyug wrote:I know it's a bit of a case of deckchairs on the titanic, but it'd be good if we could use some media queries to strip out like 90% of what's on the screen on mobile devices. It adds a lot of clutter, pushes content way below the fold, and adds very little to the user experice.

Case in point, I reduced some padding, applied a few text-align: center's and just deleted everything that pretty much wasn't a hamburger menu or actual fresh content and wound up with this:

gfo1.png


Compared to this:
gfo2.png


The problem with mobile (and even desktop) is that in subforums you can't even tell where the new posts start. It's like we're challenging new users to work things out. I've dropped a few stickied posts already to combat this, but still.


That looks so much better.

Sadly a lot of the feedback we've had on GTF so far hasn't been great in regards to the mobile theme. Obviously a lot of people now browse via mobile (which, obviously wasn't the case when Rene set the site up in 2007 :D), so it'd be great if we could get both sites looking as good as possible on the mobile theme.

It certainly looks a lot fresher there. I'm guessing that whoever designed Quarto didn't put much effort into the mobile theme.
User avatar
Jacketh
 
Posts: 620
+1s received: 335
Joined: 30 January 2015, 00:12
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 5 December 2016, 06:50

René wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:Can we have an option for different genders and sexual orientations? Mine changes every day depending on my mood.

Yes. Would you like a "First name" field while I'm at it?

LMAO!

I forgot I had posted that. :lol:

Jacketh wrote:Sadly a lot of the feedback we've had on GTF so far hasn't been great in regards to the mobile theme. Obviously a lot of people now browse via mobile (which, obviously wasn't the case when Rene set the site up in 2007 :D), so it'd be great if we could get both sites looking as good as possible on the mobile theme.

It certainly looks a lot fresher there. I'm guessing that whoever designed Quarto didn't put much effort into the mobile theme.

What's the reason for the negative feedback?




Also, is it possible to change the title of "Quatro" to "GFO" or something?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9576
+1s received: 2604
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Jacketh » 5 December 2016, 08:41

poolerboy0077 wrote:What's the reason for the negative feedback?




Also, is it possible to change the title of "Quatro" to "GFO" or something?


I think people just think its quite cluttered, so, much of what Yagyug resolved there :D A lot of members have said stuff like this to me:

Image

He hasn't been around much but hopefully he can tell René what he did or help if he returns. Defo looks a lot nicer.

Comparing the two, the difference is pretty radical.

Image
User avatar
Jacketh
 
Posts: 620
+1s received: 335
Joined: 30 January 2015, 00:12
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby SS91 » 5 December 2016, 13:11

Since the transfer, I been getting this message
'There has been an error accessing the search server. Please try again in a few minutes.'
I tried to use the functions for the 2016 awards. :-(


Never mind; its working now :shrug:
User avatar
SS91
 
Posts: 256
+1s received: 63
Joined: 15 August 2016, 15:14

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 5 December 2016, 13:20

SS91 wrote:Since the transfer, I been getting this message
'There has been an error accessing the search server. Please try again in a few minutes.'
I tried to use the functions for the 2016 awards. :-(


Never mind; its working now :shrug:

I'm glad it's working now :)
You probably tried it just before it was done reindexing the posts on the new server.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Tony » 5 December 2016, 22:37

Oops I posted my original message in the wrong thread. :facepalm2:

I'm still using Hestia Oslo but once Quarto starts being the default theme on GFO, I will try using Quarto. :)
Tony
 
Posts: 3292
+1s received: 194
Joined: 24 October 2014, 20:30
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 9 December 2016, 14:52

Jacketh wrote:Comparing the two, the difference is pretty radical.

Image

I've also been marvelling at the pointlessness of this bit:

Waste of space.png

The author's name is there twice, and the mini-profile is hidden anyway in phone portrait mode, so the body of the post might as well occupy the whole width.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 20 December 2016, 02:57

I'm navigating this site in the old theme, just like Corrdorr. For those of you who use an iPhone, have any of you recently updated your iOS? Because I just went from 9 to 10.2 and as I type in this comment box while zoomed in, my screen doesn't shift so I can continue to view my typing. I have to stop typing and manually swipe to view my text. And people wonder why some turn into suicide bombers. smh
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9576
+1s received: 2604
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Brenden » 20 December 2016, 09:21

poolerboy0077 wrote:I'm navigating this site in the old theme, just like Corrdorr. For those of you who use an iPhone, have any of you recently updated your iOS? Because I just went from 9 to 10.2 and as I type in this comment box while zoomed in, my screen doesn't shift so I can continue to view my typing. I have to stop typing and manually swipe to view my text. And people wonder why some turn into suicide bombers. smh

Text entry boxes have been on and off buggy in iOS since 8.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8743
+1s received: 3236
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Example » 23 December 2016, 17:50

I could be wrong but how come the default skin on gfo isnt available for gtf
I kind of like this one the best
Image
User avatar
Example
 
Posts: 143
+1s received: 47
Joined: 21 December 2012, 23:13
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 23 December 2016, 18:12

Example wrote:I could be wrong but how come the default skin on gfo isnt available for gtf
I kind of like this one the best

It is pretty nice, isn't it? We picked this one specifically for GFO when we set it up, feeling that it was better suited to an all-adult audience than AeroBlue and more appealing than Serenity and that it would serve to better distinguish the two forums. I'm sorry it's not available on GTF!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Example » 23 December 2016, 18:16

haha dang
yea the color scheme is really soft and appealing
the good kind of simplicity
Image
User avatar
Example
 
Posts: 143
+1s received: 47
Joined: 21 December 2012, 23:13
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby Brenden » 23 December 2016, 18:53

Example wrote:haha dang
yea the color scheme is really soft and appealing
the good kind of simplicity

We went through so many potential colour palettes that David came up with until we were all quite happy with this one. :keke:
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8743
+1s received: 3236
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby René » 26 December 2016, 00:51

  • Are you interested in making a new logo for GFO to go with the new theme? Check out the logo design competition here!
  • Quick Reply is now available (it's not as nice as the one on Hestia, but I think this will do for now)
  • Tidied up the team page (this may not show up the way it's supposed to until your browser refreshes the stylesheet)
  • Added username filter to the memberlist page so you can easily search for people by just typing in the first few characters of their names
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and other improvements

Sidenote regarding the +1 feature: you can vote whether you prefer +1s or likes here.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7409
+1s received: 2619
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New theme available for testing - update

Unread postby acpro » 22 April 2017, 23:22

I can't find the suggestion thread but I have an idea. When the new site goes live, lets relaunch chat with Discord. That's what most of the reddit subs use for their chats I've noticed. It works well and I think it works well with mobile too. I'm not sure if it has a webcam option though.
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2275
+1s received: 416
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Previous

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], fisentke545, Mail.ru [Bot], Yandex [Bot] and 103 guests