René

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: René

Unread postby René » 11 December 2019, 10:24

Derek wrote:Wait, what do you mean your hair loss was arrested? You mean no hair fell out in the shower?

Yeah, normally when washing my hair I'd see some hairs on my hands (even when I had been using minoxidil), but now I haven't been seeing any at all.
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby GearFetTwinkRomance » 11 December 2019, 16:16

Depends on the number of hairs that fall out over a certain time, of course, but few every time should be normal. Okay... don't shave yer head. Shave the headaches. ;)

I'm glad you're doing fair ongoing well and even have noticed some new positive side effects, although can't be said for certain, if there's a relation to the event. In case it made an improvement and say, after half a year you can read minds and coil spoons like 10 yards across the room and things like it, I'd call it neat. ;)

Also glad you seem to be into pharmaceutics and medicine on an AMAZING level, so that you didn't get the chance to go into research and the like is a loss to your country!
Reading up on specific items from your article has been delightful really, plus enlightening on some aspects I was looking into at times, where it came to my own poly neuropathy and looking for a working pain and tingle dimmer, so thanks, man, for elaboration. Similarities on school history to some extent.

Depression really can be a pain, wherever it's components origin in the transmitter system, aye. Some people with depression even show a higher susceptibility to anxiety issues and one may influence the other in interdependence. Though I think Brenden just really cares about you and the worries would remain on a high for some time to come. Usually won't have to do much more about it, other than to reassure him and be thankful. I guess it may present itself a little 'overdone' at times, but I think it's very sweet in a way, too. Particle of love.

I guess you're already past trying Hypericum perforatum plant extracts to cope with depressive and anxiety related episodes, eh?
People with pale skin tones should not take this, and they say it's not for pregnant women. The interaction with other medication should be thoroughly clarified in advance. I would trust that you'll be very, very careful in this.

Muscular strength and coordination should be a question of practise and time, really.
Things that fall out of hands - happens with poly neuropathy too, at times. Other people always tease me about tossing things. :lol:
This will return to normal, eventually. How's your talking doing? No slurry bit no more?
If ya want to hang with me, let's go windsurfing!
User avatar
GearFetTwinkRomance
 
Posts: 744
+1s received: 272
Joined: 8 January 2018, 10:08
Location: Seashore Baltic "dolphin bay"
Country: Germany (de)

Re: René

Unread postby homomorphism » 12 December 2019, 19:32

Realized what this thread must've been about after seeing a medical scare referenced in another thread.

I'm glad everything has turned out okay and you're feeling better. Sending good thoughts and hoping for a speedy and uneventful recovery :hug:
[9:11 PM] Derek: every decent person hates Doctor Who
homomorphism
 
Posts: 635
+1s received: 56
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:52
Country: United States (us)

Re: René

Unread postby arcanepersona » 26 December 2019, 19:21

Your boyfriend should kill himself
User avatar
arcanepersona
 
Posts: 473
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:34

Re: René

Unread postby NobodySpecial » 26 December 2019, 20:13

I'm so glad you are doing much better. I did not see this thread earlier as I don't get on that frequently. When I do, I tend to read mainly the most recent... Luckily someone made a comment today -- although I don't get the comment about someone's BF killing himself -- I assume it is an inside joke.

It is obvious, that you know quite a bit of stuff about chemistry and drug interactions. I don't know what your career is, but perhaps it is in your interest to seek a degree on the side. Perhaps there is still things for you to learn beyond what you already know.

I would also say that I think one of the things events like this bring out is just how important those people are who have your back when times are tough. I've already explained my health bat from the fall of 2018, so no reason to repeat other than to say that my partner was my angel always looking out for me. It sounds like you and your partner are very much the same.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!
NobodySpecial
 
Posts: 68
+1s received: 46
Joined: 19 August 2018, 01:43
Country: United States (us)

Re: René

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 26 December 2019, 21:32

René, do you still have that thing where you feel you have to send stronger signals to your muscles?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8222
+1s received: 1858
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: René

Unread postby René » 27 December 2019, 20:23

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Depends on the number of hairs that fall out over a certain time, of course, but few every time should be normal. Okay... don't shave yer head. Shave the headaches. ;)

Funny thing about the headaches: so the hospital had me on 1 g of paracetamol 4 times a day (in American, that's 8 extra-strength tablets of acetaminophen/Tylenol daily) plus 30 mg dihydrocodeine (mild opiate) once a day and told me to continue that for a while at home. There were still some mild little headaches from time to time while taking these painkillers every day, and when a nurse (amazingly) made a home visit, she suggested that continuing to use the painkillers for extended periods like this could actually be causing headaches, and that I should stop all of it. So I tried that, and what do you know? Basically no more headaches! They're less frequent now than before the haemorrhage (probably because I had already been taking some paracetamol every time I got one and this effect was already happening.).

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:I'm glad you're doing fair ongoing well and even have noticed some new positive side effects, although can't be said for certain, if there's a relation to the event. In case it made an improvement and say, after half a year you can read minds and coil spoons like 10 yards across the room and things like it, I'd call it neat. ;)

Fingers crossed. :D

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Also glad you seem to be into pharmaceutics and medicine on an AMAZING level, so that you didn't get the chance to go into research and the like is a loss to your country!
NobodySpecial wrote:It is obvious, that you know quite a bit of stuff about chemistry and drug interactions. I don't know what your career is, but perhaps it is in your interest to seek a degree on the side. Perhaps there is still things for you to learn beyond what you already know.

Not the first time I've heard this. GFTR's post actually sparked me to finally take an extensive look into what is possible in this regard.

It turns out there is a way for me to get a degree in pharmacology or to become a medical doctor, but I'm not sure I want to go for it as I was fairly sick of the whole studying thing by the time I graduated the first time and I've never done the going-to-university-in-person-and-attending-lectures-and-interacting-with-people stuff as I don't really like leaving the house and I took my first degree through distance learning, where they send you all the books through the post and in PDF format and you submit your assignments online and generally interact with tutors/lecturers online.

Right now I have an ordinary Bachelor of Science degree (an à la carte one where I simply picked all the modules that seemed interesting to me at the time in my early 20s, mostly physics- and IT-related with a little bit of biology), which isn't enough to qualify for any degree programmes of the kind I'd be interested in at regular universities as I never finished secondary school. I could take another 3 Open University modules to upgrade that to an honours degree, but because I kind of messed up studying when I was having all the problems I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would have to do really really well to get the First- or Upper Second-class degree I'd need.

Alternatively I could just do a whole new second bachelor's degree with the OU (for free even, I think, under the Scottish education grant system), which would make it much, much easier to get a First- or Upper Second-class degree as I'm certain I'd be a much better student this time, and I could take it in a more related subject, like a BSc (Hons) in Health Sciences.

I would then have a decent chance of successfully applying for a pharmacology degree programme at a brick-and-mortar university or to medical school (the latter under an accelerated "graduate entry" programme that was set up to rapidly train lots of doctors to fill the shortage of doctors in the UK by recruiting people who have already successfully graduated with honours in any other subject, although this is apparently a very competitive route to enter medicine, so it'd be by no means certain I'd get in despite the fact that I'd have already put in vast amounts of (not necessarily pleasant) effort to get to the point where I could even apply).

So basically, it would take a tonne of work (which I might have felt more up to before I took my current degree, even though I'm probably far more capable of doing a good job at it now) which might still not achieve the goal, and if it does I may find myself totally incompatible with the going-to-uni experience. I also really don't want to move away from where we live now in the countryside to live closer to a university, which might be necessary.

Meanwhile, I have already got a really good job (on some lucky assignments, I make over £100 or €120/hour, and my absolute minimum rate is £25 or €30/hour; meanwhile, it's usually not particularly challenging).

So I've decided that if I'm ever going to continue my tertiary education, it'll be purely for personal interest and fun, without any expectations of using it to achieve anything, and as courses start next fall, now that I'm doing way, way better psychologically with the help of the fancy medications, I'll spend the next half year seeing how I do getting on top of all the stuff in my life which I've been failing to due to the aforementioned problems. I'll then decide if I want to take another OU degree that seems fun and interesting (and who knows where it'll lead).

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Reading up on specific items from your article has been delightful really, plus enlightening on some aspects I was looking into at times, where it came to my own poly neuropathy and looking for a working pain and tingle dimmer, so thanks, man, for elaboration. Similarities on school history to some extent.

:keke:

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Depression really can be a pain, wherever it's components origin in the transmitter system, aye. Some people with depression even show a higher susceptibility to anxiety issues and one may influence the other in interdependence. Though I think Brenden just really cares about you and the worries would remain on a high for some time to come. Usually won't have to do much more about it, other than to reassure him and be thankful. I guess it may present itself a little 'overdone' at times, but I think it's very sweet in a way, too. Particle of love.

It definitely is. Anyway, he's feeling a lot better, less worried and less depressed already and finding the energy and motivation to do lots of things he's been wanting to which he lacked before. :keke:

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:I guess you're already past trying Hypericum perforatum plant extracts to cope with depressive and anxiety related episodes, eh?

Funnily enough, we never actually tried Hypericum / St John's Wort as I was under the impression that it was just an herbal SSRI and wrote it off as such. But looking at more recent research into it, I see that it's actually far more interesting, showing not just serotonin but also noradrenaline, dopamine, GABA and glutamate reuptake inhibition properties and fewer side effects than SSRIs. Thanks for bringing it up!

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:People with pale skin tones should not take this, and they say it's not for pregnant women. The interaction with other medication should be thoroughly clarified in advance. I would trust that you'll be very, very careful in this.

Of course. It's very obviously incompatible with the medications we're taking now, but if we ever discontinue those for whatever reason, we will have to give this a go!

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Muscular strength and coordination should be a question of practise and time, really.
Things that fall out of hands - happens with poly neuropathy too, at times. Other people always tease me about tossing things. :lol:
This will return to normal, eventually.

Maybe sooner than that. I think it's been about 2 weeks since I last dropped anything, and we've been playing quite a few board games that involve holding cards :awesome:

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:How's your talking doing? No slurry bit no more?

Brenden says my voice is still different, but slurring is minimal. Talking is really no problem as long as I'm not outside in the freezing cold (but that was always the case; it's just slightly worse now than I'm used to — there's something about the cold that somehow seems to paralyse all my muscles involved in speech. I plan to order some actively heated clothing with electrical heating elements soon to see about countering this :D).

homomorphism wrote:Realized what this thread must've been about after seeing a medical scare referenced in another thread.

I'm glad everything has turned out okay and you're feeling better. Sending good thoughts and hoping for a speedy and uneventful recovery :hug:

Thank you very much :heart:

arcanepersona wrote:Your boyfriend should kill himself

That's not very nice. And what/whose boyfriend is it you're referring to, anyway?

NobodySpecial wrote:I'm so glad you are doing much better. I did not see this thread earlier as I don't get on that frequently. When I do, I tend to read mainly the most recent... Luckily someone made a comment today -- although I don't get the comment about someone's BF killing himself -- I assume it is an inside joke.

Thanks :keke:
I don't get it either.

NobodySpecial wrote:I would also say that I think one of the things events like this bring out is just how important those people are who have your back when times are tough. I've already explained my health bat from the fall of 2018, so no reason to repeat other than to say that my partner was my angel always looking out for me. It sounds like you and your partner are very much the same.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!

:keke: :heart:

poolerboy0077 wrote:René, do you still have that thing where you feel you have to send stronger signals to your muscles?

A little bit, especially when playing the piano, but typing feels pretty much completely normal now and I think my speed is close to what it was before and things like holding playing cards are not an issue anymore!

It's also really only in fine-motor-control scenarios. I never noticed any difference in this regard while walking, and when exercising (e.g. rowing) my left arm doesn't seem much different from my right and actually seems to have better stamina, despite the fact that I'm right-handed.
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby René » 29 December 2019, 05:27

René wrote:So I've decided that if I'm ever going to continue my tertiary education, it'll be purely for personal interest and fun, without any expectations of using it to achieve anything, and as courses start next fall, now that I'm doing way, way better psychologically with the help of the fancy medications, I'll spend the next half year seeing how I do getting on top of all the stuff in my life which I've been failing to due to the aforementioned problems. I'll then decide if I want to take another OU degree that seems fun and interesting (and who knows where it'll lead).

On a related note: I really love my sleeping pattern on the medications I'm taking now. I always wished I had the ability to nap (I tried many times but rarely managed to fall asleep in the daytime, even when feeling quite tired), and to wake up early. Now I do. I try to go to bed around 9pm, reliably wake up early without an alarm usually between 1 and 4am, then spend maybe 8-10 hours awake, nap for a few hours (for a total of about 6-7 hours of sleep per day), and then get another 8-10 hours of being awake. The amazing thing is that both of these daily waking periods feel like a whole mini-day, so it's like there are twice as many days in the year. And after each sleep, I feel totally refreshed and ready to be really productive and get a lot done. I'm catching up on things I've been behind on for months and years, without feeling any anxiety about starting them like I used to. I think this may be the first time I'm fully caught up on work in more than a year. :awesome:

If I'd been this on top of things when I took my first degree, I bet I would have got a First- or Upper Second-class honours degree no problem.
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby Frigid » 29 December 2019, 12:39

Well, that was a roller coaster of a read. There seems to be quite a fair bit of positive learning and self development from this for you.

In terms of career, have you considered the role of clinical pharmacist? We’re crying out for them in the primary care world.
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1402
+1s received: 142
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23

Re: René

Unread postby René » 29 December 2019, 15:09

Frigid wrote:Well, that was a roller coaster of a read.

It was for me too a bit actually, since I have no memory of the initial bits or how they would have come across to people who care about me.

I don't remember feeling mentally altered, cognitively impaired or "not myself" at any point, nor did I cognisantly experience major disability at any time, so from my perspective, all the worry and attention seemed a bit much. I was never worried myself.

Frigid wrote:In terms of career, have you considered the role of clinical pharmacist? We’re crying out for them in the primary care world.

I hadn't so far, but it's useful to know that that's a role in which it should be easy to find work (even though finding a job in any field isn't currently on my agenda, as being self-employed is working out very well for me financially). Thank you!

However, I think my interests probably lie more in the direction of research and/or treating (ideally psychiatric) patients directly as a prescribing physician, maybe designing and conducting clinical trials and treating patients in that context or doing the theoretical drug-design work preceding the clinical-trial stage, or alternatively some kind of policy decision-making position regarding which medicines should be used under which circumstances and subject to what guidelines would be nice, as I think there is a lot to improve there and I'd really love for my work to improve the care received by an entire population, rather than just one patient at a time.
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby Frigid » 29 December 2019, 15:23

How are you feeling about the disconnect between what you remember and what happened?

Seems like something you’re really passionate about! As for NICE... they’re not exactly timely, up to date, or above dodgey dealings with what they recommend.
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1402
+1s received: 142
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23

Re: René

Unread postby René » 29 December 2019, 15:49

Frigid wrote:How are you feeling about the disconnect between what you remember and what happened?

Amused, honestly. It was like "Today is Sunday?? What ever happened to Saturday?" :P

I was especially amused to learn that there was an entire hospital in between the event and the hospital I ended up recovering in of which I had no memory or knowledge whatsoever. I was apparently taken to the ER at Wishaw Hospital, but they didn't have the right imaging equipment or something so then there was supposedly another ambulance ride to the Institute of Neurological Sciences at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow. It made me laugh.

Also, glad I don't remember anything scary I suppose. The evacuation alone would have been quite upsetting, I'm sure, being taken down the stairs from our 1st-floor apartment (2nd-floor for Americans) into the ambulance and all that. I expect I'm much happier this way.

Frigid wrote:Seems like something you’re really passionate about! As for NICE... they’re not exactly timely, up to date, or above dodgey dealings with what they recommend.

You can say that again. And yeah, it really bothers me when I know there is research (sometimes years old) that flat-out disproves the wisdom of their guidelines or things they state as fact but the supposed experts who are paid to keep up with these things apparently don't. And the American agencies are no better. I know the American Psychiatric Association in particular tolerates gross errors in its publications such as the DSM, even after having been told about them by pre-eminent psychiatrists and having assured them they would be fixed in the next edition.
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby Frigid » 29 December 2019, 16:12

René wrote:
Frigid wrote:How are you feeling about the disconnect between what you remember and what happened?

Amused, honestly. It was like "Today is Sunday?? What ever happened to Saturday?" :P
Also, glad I don't remember anything scary I suppose. The evacuation alone would have been quite upsetting, I'm sure, being taken down the stairs from our 1st-floor apartment (2nd-floor for Americans) into the ambulance and all that. I expect I'm much happier this way

When you put it that way, it certainly seems amusing and for the best if you don't remember the scary parts!

Thankfully, NICE is just guidelines and not a requirement. Many GPs and local prescribing committees will amend what they do based on more current evidence. So being a researcher and helping people through trials would hopefully find its way back to the community even when NICE is lacklustre.
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1402
+1s received: 142
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23

Re: René

Unread postby JoelR » 30 December 2019, 02:00

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
User avatar
JoelR
 
Posts: 38
+1s received: 19
Joined: 10 September 2017, 01:29
Location: San Francisco, USA
Country: United States (us)

Re: René

Unread postby René » 30 December 2019, 05:15

JoelR wrote:Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Thank you very much! And it's good to see you posting again :keke:
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby René » 11 January 2020, 11:30

Yay, it seems the left-hand notes of all the piano pieces which went missing from my muscle memory are coming back automatically in the background even without me doing any practising! :awesome:

And the weird beneficial side effects of the haemorrhage (no more male-pattern hair loss and no more dry eyes and mouth at night) do seem to be permanent :runaway:
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4948
+1s received: 1296
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: René

Unread postby lightnight » 11 January 2020, 14:36

Good for you!!
Image
User avatar
lightnight
 
Posts: 1267
+1s received: 366
Joined: 18 May 2015, 02:39

Previous

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], John27, Magic J, Sogou [Spider] and 1036 guests