Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Talk about anything and everything.

Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby erti » 27 July 2020, 23:01

It's obvious that in order to lose weight is to eat less than what you burn calorie wise and exercise to burn the calories as well. However, depending on what you eat it can be unhealthy and it's not that simple. Due to medications I've been fluctuating between 180lbs - 240lbs. My weight right now is 190lbs since I started on my medication. I have been having a hard time feeling full like I did with my previous meds. What curves hunger? What do you do for a healthier life style? What would be a balanced diet?
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1184
+1s received: 740
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby PopTart » 27 July 2020, 23:11

So I don't recommend calorie control, it's not, strictly speaking healthy and for you in partocular Erti, I'd advise being careful about depriving yourself of nutrition, as nutrition plays an important part in maintaining emotional and mental stability. When I suffered from depression it was always more volatile, with greater dips and peaks, when I failed to eat consistently and properly. So there is that to consider.

That said, I will tell you how I overcome the impulse to eat, when I might find myself over indulging for comfort reasons.

I turn to a single meal a day approach. I will generally not eat anything all day, right around to dinner time. Instead, I will drink beverages most of the day, but by not consuming solid food, my metabolism, doesn't "switch on" I don't feel hunger in the same way and instead I get a hollow feeling. Which sounds like hunger, but it isn't. For dinner I manage portion control and I eat a good balance of calories below the recommended amount for men, so about 2000kcal I think it is? I will balance that out in the form of optional protein, some veg and carbs. That will encourage some weightloss, but for anything more, I have to workout, which is when I drop this method and switch to a more balanced nutrition plan.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2917
+1s received: 2379
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby erti » 27 July 2020, 23:24

PopTart wrote:So I don't recommend calorie control, it's not, strictly speaking healthy and for you in partocular Erti, I'd advise being careful about depriving yourself of nutrition, as nutrition plays an important part in maintaining emotional and mental stability. When I suffered from depression it was always more volatile, with greater dips and peaks, when I failed to eat consistently and properly. So there is that to consider.

That said, I will tell you how I overcome the impulse to eat, when I might find myself over indulging for comfort reasons.

I turn to a single meal a day approach. I will generally not eat anything all day, right around to dinner time. Instead, I will drink beverages most of the day, but by not consuming solid food, my metabolism, doesn't "switch on" I don't feel hunger in the same way and instead I get a hollow feeling. Which sounds like hunger, but it isn't. For dinner I manage portion control and I eat a good balance of calories below the recommended amount for men, so about 2000kcal I think it is? I will balance that out in the form of optional protein, some veg and carbs. That will encourage some weightloss, but for anything more, I have to workout, which is when I drop this method and switch to a more balanced nutrition plan.


My problem was portion control which is why I try not to eat anything over 1800 - 2000 calories a day but I try to eat as healthy as possible. Sometimes I try not to eat a whole bunch but I end up feeling weak and shaky afterwards.
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1184
+1s received: 740
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 28 July 2020, 00:27

From my limited knowledge, it appears that eating rate affects weight loss in men but no so much in women, but I would try eating more slowly anyway and see if this helps. :shrug:
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9033
+1s received: 2360
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby erti » 28 July 2020, 00:30

poolerboy0077 wrote:From my limited knowledge, it appears that eating rate affects weight loss in men but no so much in women, but I would try eating more slowly anyway and see if this helps. :shrug:


I've been told I eat fast. Maybe at a slower rate I get full faster without eating as much...
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1184
+1s received: 740
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Derek » 28 July 2020, 01:11

Feeling full isn't necessarily an indicator of how much you should be eating. Losing weight is basically forcing your body to eat itself. You might have to get used to feeling hungry.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6321
+1s received: 2323
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby erti » 28 July 2020, 01:24

Derek wrote:Feeling full isn't necessarily an indicator of how much you should be eating. Losing weight is basically forcing your body to eat itself. You might have to get used to feeling hungry.


I would imagine depending on what you eat if you want to feel full. I've overindulge sometimes but luckily not into an eating disorder. I've been cleaning and stuff around the house. Now the kids aren't here there's less to clean after and chase around and look after. I just got to get my shit together. One thing at a time.
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1184
+1s received: 740
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby PopTart » 28 July 2020, 08:03

erti wrote:My problem was portion control which is why I try not to eat anything over 1800 - 2000 calories a day but I try to eat as healthy as possible. Sometimes I try not to eat a whole bunch but I end up feeling weak and shaky afterwards.

Yeah, I'd be careful if you start to feel flakey. Portion control is absolutely important. A lady friend of mine used to be very overweight. She switched to a similar eating lifestyle as mine, but instead of calorie control that went without food all day, she turned to snacking.

So she would not eat until lunch, but then at lunch, she would just eat something to keep hunger at bay (French style) and then she might have one or two more nibbles along the way to dinner. Her dinners are tiny. Last time I went to hers for dinner, I was kinda hungry still after dinner but I think she has adjusted to those portion sizes.

When I say French style btw, it's often said here, that the French stay so trim by only eating until they stop being hungry whereas some people in the UK, eat until Full. A small distinction but as Derek said, you pretty much want your body to resort to burning it's energy stores in the form of fat.

That means either calorie control or more exercise to burn more calories than uou consume. I'd suggest a combination of both, bu walking as often as possible. Avoid heavy exercise when engaged in calorie control. It really isn't great.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2917
+1s received: 2379
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Brenden » 28 July 2020, 08:20

PopTart wrote:So I don't recommend calorie control, it's not, strictly speaking healthy …

Caloric restriction has been studied and is one of the mechanisms by which life-extending DNA repair genes and their proteins can be activated/stimulated.

I lost 25 kg or about 30% of my body weight by just counting calories meticulously, over the course of about a year or two, and brought all my health markers — BMI, resting pulse rate, blood pressure — into a healthy range.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8090
+1s received: 2802
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby rogonandi » 28 July 2020, 08:25

A lot of exercise helps with weight loss but it doesn’t necessarily mean gym cardio. It just means walking around and doing things rather than staying in one place. You’d be surprised how much distance you can walk just by doing errands.
Why are you?

Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1707
+1s received: 1144
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby PopTart » 28 July 2020, 08:49

Brenden wrote:
PopTart wrote:So I don't recommend calorie control, it's not, strictly speaking healthy …

Caloric restriction has been studied and is one of the mechanisms by which life-extending DNA repair genes and their proteins can be activated/stimulated.

I lost 25 kg or about 30% of my body weight by just counting calories meticulously, over the course of about a year or two, and brought all my health markers — BMI, resting pulse rate, blood pressure — into a healthy range.

I was aware of the DNA aspect, it's been long recognised as being one means of combating certain effects of aging :applause:

Unfortunately, there are times at which it can also be unhealthy. During periods of illness for example. I really can't emphasise enough the important nutrition has to a healthy mental state aswell.

While in my 20's I could engage in calorie control (without really doing so actively, I smoked, which sublimated my hunger, which in turn made food an after thought much as dancers are known to do)
But once I reach my 30's and now edge towards 40's, I find my mood is easily dictated by nutrition.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2917
+1s received: 2379
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Brenden » 28 July 2020, 09:34

PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:
PopTart wrote:So I don't recommend calorie control, it's not, strictly speaking healthy …

Caloric restriction has been studied and is one of the mechanisms by which life-extending DNA repair genes and their proteins can be activated/stimulated.

I lost 25 kg or about 30% of my body weight by just counting calories meticulously, over the course of about a year or two, and brought all my health markers — BMI, resting pulse rate, blood pressure — into a healthy range.

I was aware of the DNA aspect, it's been long recognised as being one means of combating certain effects of aging :applause:

Unfortunately, there are times at which it can also be unhealthy. During periods of illness for example. I really can't emphasise enough the important nutrition has to a healthy mental state aswell.

While in my 20's I could engage in calorie control (without really doing so actively, I smoked, which sublimated my hunger, which in turn made food an after thought much as dancers are known to do)
But once I reach my 30's and now edge towards 40's, I find my mood is easily dictated by nutrition.

But you can eat nutrient-dense foods while still maintaining a calorie deficit, and that’s actually what helps restrict calories because having adequate micronutrients reduces food cravings.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8090
+1s received: 2802
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Valso » 28 July 2020, 10:10

erti wrote:It's obvious that in order to lose weight is to eat less than what you burn calorie wise and exercise to burn the calories as well. However, depending on what you eat it can be unhealthy and it's not that simple. Due to medications I've been fluctuating between 180lbs - 240lbs. My weight right now is 190lbs since I started on my medication. I have been having a hard time feeling full like I did with my previous meds. What curves hunger? What do you do for a healthier life style? What would be a balanced diet?

I have developed one of my own which works but unfortunately where I live there isn't much space to do this. The food is a salad of tomatoes, cucs, purple-ish onion and no oil. Maybe some olive oil but not sunflower. Breakfast, lunch and dinner - only this as food, as much as I want.
In the morning I have one big salad, like 6 lbs, in order to have strength for what's coming and for pretty much the whole day and then walk. For miles. In the town where I go for my vacation that's easy because the entire surroudings of that town is mountain. Sometimes I do 15 miles walk in the whole day. Only stop to rest a little and to drink water, then go on. IF I get hungry, I go back down to the town where my favorite salad is being made, have some and go back into the mountain. That alone takes 4 miles in both directions.
I do that "exercise" every single day for 2 weeks and I do lose some weight. How much exactly I can't tell but I can feel I've lost some.


Currently my weight is about 210 lbs with height 6 feet which weight is too much. I wish I could have the body shape and weight of Jryski cuz he's perfect. :P
User avatar
Valso
 
Posts: 462
+1s received: 110
Joined: 14 December 2017, 17:00
Location: Bulgaria
Country: Bulgaria (bg)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby erti » 29 July 2020, 22:01

Valso wrote:
erti wrote:It's obvious that in order to lose weight is to eat less than what you burn calorie wise and exercise to burn the calories as well. However, depending on what you eat it can be unhealthy and it's not that simple. Due to medications I've been fluctuating between 180lbs - 240lbs. My weight right now is 190lbs since I started on my medication. I have been having a hard time feeling full like I did with my previous meds. What curves hunger? What do you do for a healthier life style? What would be a balanced diet?

I have developed one of my own which works but unfortunately where I live there isn't much space to do this. The food is a salad of tomatoes, cucs, purple-ish onion and no oil. Maybe some olive oil but not sunflower. Breakfast, lunch and dinner - only this as food, as much as I want.
In the morning I have one big salad, like 6 lbs, in order to have strength for what's coming and for pretty much the whole day and then walk. For miles. In the town where I go for my vacation that's easy because the entire surroudings of that town is mountain. Sometimes I do 15 miles walk in the whole day. Only stop to rest a little and to drink water, then go on. IF I get hungry, I go back down to the town where my favorite salad is being made, have some and go back into the mountain. That alone takes 4 miles in both directions.
I do that "exercise" every single day for 2 weeks and I do lose some weight. How much exactly I can't tell but I can feel I've lost some.

Currently my weight is about 210 lbs with height 6 feet which weight is too much. I wish I could have the body shape and weight of Jryski cuz he's perfect. :P



I like a variety of foods besides salad. also depending on the salad it can be as bad as a burger calorie wise if you go by calories... However,depending on what in the salad and the salad dressing can be better for you nutrition wise.
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1184
+1s received: 740
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Valso » 29 July 2020, 22:49

erti wrote:I like a variety of foods besides salad. also depending on the salad it can be as bad as a burger calorie wise if you go by calories... However,depending on what in the salad and the salad dressing can be better for you nutrition wise.

I'll tell you what my salad is though what I described above ain't fast enough - that's why opened the other topic. Hoping there's another secret I didn't know about to burn through fats. I wish Pishtacoes were real, I could use one now.

My salad contains these things: lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes (both red and dark green), purple onion, white onion, raw spinach (only the leaves), hard boiled eggs, and cow's cheese. I don't use any oil normally. Oh, and lots of vinegar. I love the smell and the taste of it. I don't know much about biological chemistry but I doubt any of these things contain bad stuff.
Also I almost never eat bread - maybe 2-3 times a year.
I eat this salad in an attempt to reduce the fats in combination with lots of mountain... I think it's called "hiking" in English and some weight lifting but as I said - it happens too slow.
User avatar
Valso
 
Posts: 462
+1s received: 110
Joined: 14 December 2017, 17:00
Location: Bulgaria
Country: Bulgaria (bg)

Re: Tips and Tricks to Weight Loss

Unread postby Wailingdusk » 10 August 2020, 20:58

This is a tough topic for me because weight has been an issue for as long as I've been alive. After years of crash dieting and yoyoing weight, I reached the fattest I've ever been earlier this year. There are many reasons for the weight gain: quite a few losses in the family, including my mother, severe depression and anxiety which I was medication for which caused me to gain weight during a part of my life where I was losing it. I always wondered what the code is that I need to crack to lose weight and keep it off.

I think I've finally found the answer, at least for myself, and it's not something a lot of people want to hear. I didn't want to for the longest time, which is why I've always been obese. The quarantine got me off on the right start. I wasn't eating out, I started cooking things that weren't as healthy, then one day I decided I'd start eating nothing but a plant based whole foods diet(I'll eat fish rarely, but most of the time meat and dairy are not in my diet, though I still get A LOT of protein from non-soy sources and b-12 through nutritional yeast). Not only that, I started exercising.

At first, I could barely do 5 minutes on my stationary bike at level 1. I started doing this in May BTW. Since then, I've lost 34 pounds and I'm doing around 70 minutes of exercise a day. 35 minutes each session. I've never felt so energized and so healthy, even at my lowest weight when I was younger, I never felt as good as I do now. Keep in mind, this is 34 pounds over 3 months, so about 2.8 pounds per week. It's a healthy, sustainable weight loss.

I'm not trying to get my body beach-ready or killing myself to fit into an outfit. I'm just trying to feel like a person who wants to do things and meet people and date, all those things most take for granted, I've been too self-conscious to do. It's especially hard being fat as a gay man. You're undesirable, or you're fodder for the chubby chasers.

Losing weight isn't about just losing fat. It's about changing everything about your life because you WANT to. You might need to, or you might be told to by a doctor, but unless you hit that point where YOU want a permanent lifestyle change (not just an unsustainable crash diet), you'll not only lose weight, you'll be healthier and you won't feel deprived. You won't feel like you want to have junk food, because you won't feel like you're missing anything by not having it.

It's hard. It's one of the hardest things to do, especially in the US or other developed nations where most of what we eat is processed and so full of sugar that it overloads our natural ways of coping.

If you eat salads all the time, you'll get sick of them. You have to suffer a little first before you can get to the point where you don't need all the salty, sweet, greasy things our tastebuds crave. It's like going to rehab when you stop eating all of that. We're so used to it and we're advertised it every day.

What worked for me might not work with everyone. I was never much of a meat-eater before, so cutting all land meat was easy. Cutting all dairy was torture. I cut out all highly processed foods, but I still have my jasmine rice or wheat noodles that I have one serving of once a day or every two days. I started drinking and eating more fermented foods with probiotics, like kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha, etc... I eat nuts almost every day. If I get hungry, I'll grab a handful of raw almonds or sunflower seeds. I also eat apples, bananas or melons for snacks. I eat Brussels spouts by the bag (because I love them), and my freezer is full of different kinds of vegetables. My fridge is full of produce. I only drink water, green tea/black tea with nothing in it, or kombucha. Every 2 weeks I'll have a thin crust vegan pizza if I want it.

I change my vegetables and carbs often. Sometimes I'll have a pantry full of sweet potatoes, others wild rice. Tonight I'm going to be making my own version of Ratatouille. This might all seem like a drastic change, and you'd be absolutely right. I did days or research on my diet, and I found something that works for me and these are all foods I've always loved, but processed foods always took priority because they were easier to make and are engineered to taste so good. When you cut it all out, you eventually stop craving it all the time. That's not to say I don't have my cravings. :P

Find something that works for you that incorporates cleaner eating and moderate exercise. Watch your portion sizes and only eat until you're full. If you're eating the right foods, you don't have to count the calories. You just eat until you feel full and you'll lose weight.

Sorry for the long post, and I don't know if it was helpful at all. I've read posts like this before and it never really clicked with me until now just how important the right food is to our health and permanent weightloss. It's a tough sell, trust me. Broccoli over brownies. But man, you might get a few moments of pleasure from those brownies, but it doesn't compare to how you feel when you cut all that out of your diet.
Wailingdusk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 August 2020, 20:12
Country: United States (us)


Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], poolerboy0077, Yandex [Bot] and 87 guests