Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Oscarsome » 14 January 2013, 06:04

Apollo wrote:I don't understand what you want from them. Never make new pokemon ever again?

I agree. I mean, yeah, there's gonna keep being new Pokemon and some may suck, but I am very happy with the quality of the main RPG series of the game. I feel like the next entry, X & Y, are a big leap in terms of shaking up the gameplay and giving us a fresh outlook on the series. I look forward to it!

Lolz, I like how the topic has become Pokemon now.
User avatar
Oscarsome
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 January 2013, 06:06
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Mod » 14 January 2013, 07:01

So err Machinima is asking youtube creators to sign on with it in return for ad revenue and EVERY VIDEO* YOU MAKE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

*That you upload to Youtube
Last edited by Mod on 14 January 2013, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby aerach » 14 January 2013, 07:03

.
Last edited by aerach on 7 July 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
aerach
 
Posts: 225
+1s received: 1
Joined: 20 December 2012, 22:32

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Brenden » 14 January 2013, 08:54

Mr.Monkey wrote:So err Machinima is asking youtube creators to sign on with it in return for ad revenue and EVERY VIDEO* YOU MAKE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

*That you upload to Youtube

Always read the contract! :facepalm:
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8990
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Mod » 14 January 2013, 11:56

Brenden wrote:
Mr.Monkey wrote:So err Machinima is asking youtube creators to sign on with it in return for ad revenue and EVERY VIDEO* YOU MAKE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

*That you upload to Youtube

Always read the contract! :facepalm:

IKR? It's like a certain South Park episode.
Still I can't but help feel sorry for them; most of them are young and haven't experienced a fucking over quite like this.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Milo » 15 January 2013, 20:56

They used waves from earthquakes to map out the inner earth.
User avatar
Milo
 
Posts: 698
+1s received: 9
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:07
Location: California
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Blaz » 15 January 2013, 22:57

I learned that Kingdom Hearts was supposed to use chainsaws rather than keyblades. lol
Blaz
 
Posts: 1892
+1s received: 7
Joined: 22 December 2012, 02:24

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Brenden » 16 January 2013, 00:32

Milo wrote:They used waves from earthquakes to map out the inner earth.

Because the waves travel at different speeds in the different media and experience refraction when they cross media.

:heart: geophysics

Blaz wrote:I learned that Kingdom Hearts was supposed to use chainsaws rather than keyblades. lol

:runaway:
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8990
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Mod » 16 January 2013, 01:21

Brenden wrote:
Milo wrote:They used waves from earthquakes to map out the inner earth.

Because the different waves travel at different speeds in the different media and experience refraction when they cross media.

:heart: geophysics

They're pretty different eh?
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Brenden » 16 January 2013, 02:39

Mr.Monkey wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Milo wrote:They used waves from earthquakes to map out the inner earth.

Because the different waves travel at different speeds in the different media and experience refraction when they cross media.

:heart: geophysics

They're pretty different eh?

Well, isn't it really just P-waves that give us data about the Earth's internals?
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8990
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Mod » 16 January 2013, 03:04

OT: I learned that my Dad is going to be working on a script tv show following people affected by the Christchurch Earthquakes. It'll be kinda like Treme although I doubt it'll have the cool music.

Brenden wrote:
Mr.Monkey wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Milo wrote:They used waves from earthquakes to map out the inner earth.

Because the different waves travel at different speeds in the different media and experience refraction when they cross media.

:heart: geophysics

They're pretty different eh?

Well, isn't it really just P-waves that give us data about the Earth's internals?

Yeah I think we discovered that after they did the experiments, something like that. Anyway since I don't think it's widely known that there are different waves and they behave differently I just felt it is important, even if it is an aside.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby rxxli » 16 January 2013, 13:28

Definitely not something new. But it certainly is an interesting talk which I recommend to all internet users:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_be ... bbles.html
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 364
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby René » 18 January 2013, 02:09

About 0.23% of the world's population lives in the Netherlands, yet people from or in the Netherlands constitute some 2-3% of the membership of this forum.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7651
+1s received: 2789
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby GBR89 » 18 January 2013, 03:27

I learned that the Internal Revenue Service allows you to deduct gambling losses from gambling winnings for tax purposes.
User avatar
GBR89
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 18 January 2013, 02:35
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Derek » 18 January 2013, 03:54

GBR89 wrote:I learned that the Internal Revenue Service allows you to deduct gambling losses from gambling winnings for tax purposes.

Well if they didn't, you would be virtually guaranteed to lose money every time you went gambling.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6966
+1s received: 2710
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby GBR89 » 18 January 2013, 04:01

Derek wrote:Well if they didn't, you would be virtually guaranteed to lose money every time you went gambling.


I wasn't clear on that.

2/6/12: Some dude loses a net of $3,000 at a casino.
6/12/12 Dude wins $10,000 at a casino
10/10/12 Dude loses another $5,000 at a casino

Treated properly, the IRS would allow the guy to count the $8,000 in losses against the $10,000 in winnings, so as far as they're concerned, he only won $2,000 in 2012. Now, the trick is that the casino by law has to give you a statement confirming your winnings, but typically only gives you a statement of your losses if you ask.
User avatar
GBR89
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 18 January 2013, 02:35
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby René » 18 January 2013, 04:01

I just learned that a single Facebook message tab in Chrome left untouched for a few days can use more than a gigabyte of memory, rapidly fluctuating up and down in a range of a few hundred megabytes, and happily uses up the entirety of one of my processor's cores.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7651
+1s received: 2789
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Derek » 18 January 2013, 04:18

GBR89 wrote:
Derek wrote:Well if they didn't, you would be virtually guaranteed to lose money every time you went gambling.


I wasn't clear on that.

2/6/12: Some dude loses a net of $3,000 at a casino.
6/12/12 Dude wins $10,000 at a casino
10/10/12 Dude loses another $5,000 at a casino

Treated properly, the IRS would allow the guy to count the $8,000 in losses against the $10,000 in winnings, so as far as they're concerned, he only won $2,000 in 2012. Now, the trick is that the casino by law has to give you a statement confirming your winnings, but typically only gives you a statement of your losses if you ask.

Hmm. In my experience, the IRS isn't too finicky when it comes to proving gambling losses. It seems like the bigger issue would be if the casino decided to file your receipts with the IRS without informing you, which they are not obligated to do for winnings under certain amounts.

Actually, it occurs to me that this is an easily exploited loophole. If you had large winnings in a given year but wished to offset it, you could conceivably claim losses by withdrawing cash and then spending it however you like. I imagine the IRS would be satisfied as long as the withdrawal occurred on the day the losses were claimed and preferably from the casino itself.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6966
+1s received: 2710
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Brenden » 18 January 2013, 05:42

Today I calculated that each Pringles chip is ~12 kilocalories. I don't know why they don't bake them.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8990
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I learned... (Post interesting facts.)

Unread postby Blaz » 22 January 2013, 03:47

That there is a connection between white animals and them being deaf.
Blaz
 
Posts: 1892
+1s received: 7
Joined: 22 December 2012, 02:24

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: acpro, Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], SnowWolf and 125 guests