What are you drinking?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Magic J » 3 February 2020, 13:23

René wrote:It also (like all SSRIs) all but guarantees you'll get destructive teeth grinding at night without realising it.

You're lucky that it at least seems to work for you. Most people don't finding it very effective and end up needing something else entirely (i.e. not just another SSRI) to get good relief unless the problem is mainly anxiety or obsessive-compulsiveness.

Strange. I mentioned that jaw clenching was a noticable side effect for me, but the doctor seemed to be unaware that this could be caused by the drug.

I can't rule out placebo effect or regression to the mean. All I can say is that I ruminate less and generally feel better. That could also be an effect of my own efforts to improve negative thought patterns, though. It's hard to say.
Heteronormative Bullshit
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 381
+1s received: 227
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby René » 3 February 2020, 13:36

Magic J wrote:Strange. I mentioned that jaw clenching was a noticable side effect for me, but the doctor seemed to be unaware that this could be caused by the drug.

Doctors are notoriously bad at keeping up with research or having anything but the most superficial understanding of how drugs work. It's the same primary reason why MDMA/ecstasy causes jaw clenching and teeth grinding, ffs.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Magic J » 3 February 2020, 22:49

René wrote:Doctors are notoriously bad at keeping up with research or having anything but the most superficial understanding of how drugs work. It's the same primary reason why MDMA/ecstasy causes jaw clenching and teeth grinding, ffs.

Yeah, I'd experienced the clenching effects before due to E. I didn't feel like telling the doctor that, though. :P
Heteronormative Bullshit
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 381
+1s received: 227
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PostThis post was deleted by Magic J on 3 February 2020, 22:51.

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby René » 4 February 2020, 09:29

Magic J wrote:
René wrote:Doctors are notoriously bad at keeping up with research or having anything but the most superficial understanding of how drugs work. It's the same primary reason why MDMA/ecstasy causes jaw clenching and teeth grinding, ffs.

Yeah, I'd experienced the clenching effects before due to E. I didn't feel like telling the doctor that, though. :P

Reportedly, the addition of buspirone (normally used to treat anxiety) to an SSRI can curb this side effect and others. But then, of course, doctors are generally scared to combine drugs that "work on serotonin" because they have no idea how they work and when this is dangerous and when it's perfectly safe like in this case. :oface:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Brenden » 13 February 2020, 23:17

I got three limes for just 10p at Scotmid the other day, so I just squeezed one and made myself a Kamikaze with Blue Curaçao.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7269
+1s received: 2138
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Magic J » 13 February 2020, 23:19

Brenden wrote:I got three limes for just 10p at Scotmid the other day, so I just squeezed one and made myself a Kamikaze with Blue Curaçao.

They can barely even give fruit away here...
Heteronormative Bullshit
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 381
+1s received: 227
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Brenden » 13 February 2020, 23:30

Magic J wrote:
Brenden wrote:I got three limes for just 10p at Scotmid the other day, so I just squeezed one and made myself a Kamikaze with Blue Curaçao.

They can barely even give fruit away here...

They should try deep frying it! Could probably sell it for a fiver.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7269
+1s received: 2138
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Magic J » 13 February 2020, 23:45

Don't even go there. Your birth nation's crimes are glaring in this regard. :P
Heteronormative Bullshit
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 381
+1s received: 227
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Brenden » 13 February 2020, 23:50

Don't pin what Texans and Iowans do on this Michigander. :oface:

Also,
In 2011 in Edinburgh, Scotland, a pub named The Fiddler's Elbow served a dessert dish named "Braveheart Butter Bombs" that consists of deep-fried butter served with ice cream infused with Irn-Bru soda and coulis.[12] Some critics in Edinburgh have referred to deep-fried butter as a "coronary on a plate", but chefs at the pub have stated that when consumed in moderation it "should be all right".[12] The pub also planned on offering a variation using whisky in place of Irn-Bru.[12]


Also also, the only bad part about it is the batter. Butter is heart-healthy and anti-diabetic! :nod:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7269
+1s received: 2138
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby OhHeyItsZach » 16 February 2020, 20:14

I'm drinking a bottle of water at the moment.
User avatar
OhHeyItsZach
 
Posts: 23
+1s received: 12
Joined: 16 February 2020, 00:33

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby PopTart » 18 February 2020, 20:33

Brenden wrote:Don't pin what Texans and Iowans do on this Michigander. :oface:

Also,
In 2011 in Edinburgh, Scotland, a pub named The Fiddler's Elbow served a dessert dish named "Braveheart Butter Bombs" that consists of deep-fried butter served with ice cream infused with Irn-Bru soda and coulis.[12] Some critics in Edinburgh have referred to deep-fried butter as a "coronary on a plate", but chefs at the pub have stated that when consumed in moderation it "should be all right".[12] The pub also planned on offering a variation using whisky in place of Irn-Bru.[12]


Also also, the only bad part about it is the batter. Butter is heart-healthy and anti-diabetic! :nod:

But when its deep fried? :squint:

OT:
I've given up coffee and tea, so I'm now drinking hot chocolate as a substitute,. Its working for me for the moment, but the weather is cold. I feel this wont work for me in the summer, when I'll be more tempted to drink cold coffee. I must kick the caffeine.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2601
+1s received: 2168
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Brenden » 18 February 2020, 20:56

PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:Also also, the only bad part about it is the batter. Butter is heart-healthy and anti-diabetic! :nod:

But when its deep fried? :squint:

No, because deep-frying necessitates the batter, which adds very simple carbohydrates which also produce acrylamide when in contact with the hot oil. But when people think of deep-fried butter being bad they're thinking it's the butter that's bad, which just isn't true.

PopTart wrote:I've given up coffee and tea, so I'm now drinking hot chocolate as a substitute,. Its working for me for the moment, but the weather is cold. I feel this wont work for me in the summer, when I'll be more tempted to drink cold coffee. I must kick the caffeine.

Tea and coffee are very healthy (if you don't add sugar). In a study of 10,000+ retired women in the US, those who drank the most black coffee a day had significantly lower all-cause mortality. Tea also contains a compound which counteracts caffeine in a way analogous to how CBD counteracts THC in cannabis. You can actually buy this compound, called theanine, on its own and add it to coffee, so as to counteract the negative effects of the caffeine (like jitteriness) while still getting the health benefits and alertness.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7269
+1s received: 2138
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby René » 18 February 2020, 20:59

Brenden wrote:
PopTart wrote:I've given up coffee and tea, so I'm now drinking hot chocolate as a substitute,. Its working for me for the moment, but the weather is cold. I feel this wont work for me in the summer, when I'll be more tempted to drink cold coffee. I must kick the caffeine.

Tea and coffee are very healthy (if you don't add sugar). In a study of 10,000+ retired women in the US, those who drank the most black coffee a day had significantly lower all-cause mortality. Tea also contains a compound which counteracts caffeine in a way analogous to how CBD counteracts THC in cannabis. You can actually buy this compound, called theanine, on its own and add it to coffee, so as to counteract the negative effects of the caffeine (like jitteriness) while still getting the health benefits and alertness.

Also note hot chocolate typically has a ridiculous amount of sugar, which is probably hurting your long-term health a lot more than the caffeine. Having said that, there is a pretty easy way to make delicious hot chocolate without any sugar. Brenden can give you his recipe :D
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby PopTart » 18 February 2020, 21:28

But I like sugar :D
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2601
+1s received: 2168
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby René » 18 February 2020, 21:30

PopTart wrote:But I like sugar :D

That's just it! It'll taste like it's full of sugar even though it won't be :D
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby PopTart » 18 February 2020, 21:43

René wrote:
PopTart wrote:But I like sugar :D

That's just it! It'll taste like it's full of sugar even though it won't be :D

You speak of some manner of black magic? :squint:

Or some substitute perhaps?
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2601
+1s received: 2168
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby René » 18 February 2020, 21:55

PopTart wrote:
René wrote:
PopTart wrote:But I like sugar :D

That's just it! It'll taste like it's full of sugar even though it won't be :D

You speak of some manner of black magic? :squint:

Or some substitute perhaps?

Yep, there are some fantastic ones available nowadays. :awesome:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby PopTart » 18 February 2020, 21:58

René wrote:
PopTart wrote:
René wrote:
PopTart wrote:But I like sugar :D

That's just it! It'll taste like it's full of sugar even though it won't be :D

You speak of some manner of black magic? :squint:

Or some substitute perhaps?

Yep, there are some fantastic ones available nowadays. :awesome:

Agave syrup?

I'll stick with the evil white gold!
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2601
+1s received: 2168
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you drinking?

Unread postby Brenden » 18 February 2020, 22:01

PopTart wrote:
René wrote:
PopTart wrote:But I like sugar :D

That's just it! It'll taste like it's full of sugar even though it won't be :D

You speak of some manner of black magic? :squint:

Or some substitute perhaps?

I make hot chocolate thusly:

150 ml whole milk
30 g cacao powder, preferably raw but Bournville will do
sweetener powder (e.g.) to taste, usually 1 tablespoon for myself and 2 for René

Mix the cacao powder with the sweetener powder until well blended, heat the milk in the microwave until it's lukewarm, add the powder mixture and stir well, heat in the microwave until just above desired drinking temperature, stir some more until all the cacao has dissolved, enjoy!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7269
+1s received: 2138
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: acpro, Baidu [Spider], CommonCrawl [Bot], Courage, ExaleadThumbnails [Bot], Facebook [Bot], Jayf, John27, Jzone, Magic J, MSN [Bot], Severelius, Yandex [Bot] and 83 guests