What are you eating?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 8 April 2022, 08:53

McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby BraxtonBoiToi » 11 April 2022, 00:27

Lasagna and homemade bread.
User avatar
BraxtonBoiToi
 
Posts: 79
+1s received: 28
Joined: 14 December 2021, 22:30
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 April 2022, 09:48

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.


:rolleyes: :argh: :rolleyes:
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2022, 10:30

McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.


:rolleyes: :argh: :rolleyes:

You'll be happy to hear that the last several days I've eaten vegetarian bacon.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 April 2022, 11:03

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.


:rolleyes: :argh: :rolleyes:

You'll be happy to hear that the last several days I've eaten vegetarian bacon.


I am happy to hear it! :applause:
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2022, 11:08

McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.


:rolleyes: :argh: :rolleyes:

You'll be happy to hear that the last several days I've eaten vegetarian bacon.

I am happy to hear it! :applause:

We also recently had an amazing vegetarian Peking duck meal kit, and I had a vegetarian gyros pack the other day that was pretty good (we have another pack to eat today, and this time I made sure to get red onion and tzatziki for it).
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 April 2022, 11:10

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:Aldi has a cheese and onion hot cross bun this year. I think that'd be very nice as a bacon roll.

Vegetarian bacon?

The pig may or may not have had a vegetarian diet.


:rolleyes: :argh: :rolleyes:

You'll be happy to hear that the last several days I've eaten vegetarian bacon.

I am happy to hear it! :applause:

We also recently had an amazing vegetarian Peking duck meal kit, and I had a vegetarian gyros pack the other day that was pretty good (we have another pack to eat today, and this time I made sure to get red onion and tzatziki for it).


Oh, so maybe you'll go fully vegetarian sometime soon? Or am I being profoundly, excessively over-optimistic?
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2022, 11:20

McTaggartfan wrote:Oh, so maybe you'll go fully vegetarian sometime soon? Or am I being profoundly, excessively over-optimistic?

The latter.

Unfortunately, besides the duck, all these things are woefully protein deficient. It's laughable that they advertise on the front of the package "15% protein!"
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 April 2022, 12:43

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:Oh, so maybe you'll go fully vegetarian sometime soon? Or am I being profoundly, excessively over-optimistic?

The latter.

Unfortunately, besides the duck, all these things are woefully protein deficient. It's laughable that they advertise on the front of the package "15% protein!"


Better that one should be nutrient deficient, in my mind.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Derek » 11 April 2022, 21:37

Brenden thinks his precious macros are more important than the lives of innocent animals. Blocked and canceled.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7151
+1s received: 2822
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2022, 22:52

That reminds me of a podcast I recently came across called Blocked and Reported.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2022, 22:55

Derek wrote:Brenden thinks his precious macros are more important than the lives of innocent animals. Blocked and canceled.

Ideally, I would love a synthetic meat, or at the very least an artificial meat product that contains a similar amount of protein — they exist, but the market seems to be moving more in the direction of junk food built from carbs and emulsifiers.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Derek » 11 April 2022, 23:05

I pretty much gave up on the idea of solid protein. Milk and whey is the lazy vegetarian solution.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7151
+1s received: 2822
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Brenden » 12 April 2022, 09:00

Derek wrote:I pretty much gave up on the idea of solid protein. Milk and whey is the lazy vegetarian solution.

Whey is probably one of the most healthy sources of protein, which shows some potential for being protective against colorectal cancer (unlike its counterpart casein, which seems to act as a growth hormone). Human milk's protein content is 70% whey proteins.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 April 2022, 16:44

Hear that, Derek? Human milk = ultimate vegetarian choice. Dunno if they sell it at Walmart though.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8564
+1s received: 3277
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Derek » 12 April 2022, 20:44

That's only a problem if your mom doesn't care about your gainz as much as she should.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7151
+1s received: 2822
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 14 April 2022, 03:07

Derek wrote:I assume she's still a highly successful restaurateur. Although the butter, cream, and bacon-heavy trend in cooking has largely passed.

What’s trendy in cooking now?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9969
+1s received: 2766
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Derek » 14 April 2022, 03:30

Hard to say, I don't look at the blogs as much I used to. I've noticed a lot of interest in authentic (sorta) foreign cuisine lately, especially Asian stuff that suits or can be adapted to suit a vegetarian or vegan diet. "Plant-based" is a phrase you hear thrown around a lot.

I'm trying to think of what the foods trends of yesteryear were. The one I remember best is the one I think was caused by the Food Network becoming super popular, and that was a sort of homecooked fast-fashion that relied heavily on the aforementioned bacon, cream, and butter to make everything taste good. That was the era of fancy mac and cheese served in the skillet, which was great, but it was also the era of bacon-wrapped melon, which fucking sucked.

There were a few years where everything had to be organic and locally sourced, but capitalism ate the soul out of that one pretty fast. I remember back in the 90s when people still thought fat was bad but carbs were fine, and then Atkins came onto the scene and people turned viciously on carbs. Also I think sun-dried tomatoes were super popular for some reason.

In the past couple years I remember certain things being super popular, like poke bowls or drinking bone broth. I remember pumpkin spice had a big moment, but then there was a big backlash against it and it ended up being associated with Christian girls with curly blond hair who have aesthetic instagrams and pro-life twitter accounts. I think it deserved better.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7151
+1s received: 2822
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby René » 14 April 2022, 03:49

Derek wrote:Also I think sun-dried tomatoes were super popular for some reason.

Oh, I can't stand those.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7850
+1s received: 2899
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you eating?

Unread postby Derek » 14 April 2022, 04:48

They're not great. I understand the principle of dehydrating tomatoes to use in, like, sauce, but people were using them as crackers.

This topic is making me nostalgic for my Food Network era. I'm thinking about these prosciutto-wrapped scallops I made topped with chunky romesco sauce. It was very trendy and one of the best things I've eaten. I made that sauce with sundried tomatoes and pickled pepperoncinis.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7151
+1s received: 2822
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], Mojeek [Bot], rogonandi, StraightGuy95 and 90 guests