What are you thinking at the moment?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Sullivan » 20 June 2020, 01:26

My mom just told me that my brother's fancy Manhattan communications firm gives him Juneteenth off, and now I'm wondering if they actually have any African American employees.
User avatar
Sullivan
 
Posts: 653
+1s received: 195
Joined: 25 July 2013, 02:12
Location: Chicago
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby josheTR » 20 June 2020, 09:42

Wondering if the phenomenon of my getting an erection when I need a pee real bad is just me?
josheTR
 
Posts: 30
+1s received: 9
Joined: 18 June 2020, 08:37

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Brenden » 22 June 2020, 15:58

I have a bunch of puffed amaranth that I don't know what to do with. It's okay with honey, but I don't want to consume that much sugar. Otherwise I don't particularly like the flavour. But it's healthy and I bought it so I should eat it.

Erick, besides alegría do you have any ideas for using it up?
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7942
+1s received: 2695
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 22 June 2020, 18:20

Brenden wrote:Erick, besides alegría do you have any ideas for using it up?

Maybe a chocolate and raspberry bar? Or a sweet gordita? As you can tell, these ere ancient, pre-Hispanic recipes.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8896
+1s received: 2284
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby René » 22 June 2020, 19:26

Brenden wrote:I have a bunch of puffed amaranth that I don't know what to do with. It's okay with honey, but I don't want to consume that much sugar. Otherwise I don't particularly like the flavour. But it's healthy and I bought it so I should eat it.

What about one of the things you can find on Amazon (at least Amazon UK) if you search "honey substitute"? One of them is some kind of "fibre syrup" with honey flavour apparently.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6012
+1s received: 1870
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Severelius » 22 June 2020, 21:41

Why the fuck did I have the music from my nan's funeral on my Spotify playlist?

I was heading home from work with it on shuffle and that song came on and I was not prepared for it and nearly started crying in the middle of Sainsbury's.

Fucking hell.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3551
+1s received: 618
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby ThatNomad » 22 June 2020, 22:02

Dreading my first day on the phones on Friday, but also realizing that if the role play we did today in training is any indication I'm easily at the top of my class... Oddly enough, that's not helping the nerves in the slightest.
User avatar
ThatNomad
 
Posts: 130
+1s received: 68
Joined: 22 June 2020, 18:54
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby ceez » 22 June 2020, 22:59

Severelius wrote:Why the fuck did I have the music from my nan's funeral on my Spotify playlist?

I was heading home from work with it on shuffle and that song came on and I was not prepared for it and nearly started crying in the middle of Sainsbury's.

Fucking hell.

That happened to me whenever I heard the song from my mothers fineral :hug:
Thankfully when my grandmother died the only song played was butchered by my trashy aunt in an attempt to sing it, at the funeral, with a short skirt that would barely stay down.
User avatar
ceez
 
Posts: 168
+1s received: 81
Joined: 8 April 2018, 14:24
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Derek » 23 June 2020, 01:39

Reading about the alt-right, almost retrospectively, puts a few things in context. The right wing's alliance with evangelicals and cultural conservatives, along with the left's abandonment of socialism, left a huge void in political discourse. Most people fundamentally don't give a shit about politics and the perception among young people was basically that conservatives were stodgy farts and liberals were cooler and maybe black. The founding fathers of the alt-right were mostly all millennials who discovered a conceptual space for politics that broke this paradigm. All they had to do to gain an audience was point out all the ways liberals were vacuous, hypocritical, strident, and humorless, and the liberal mainstream media, lacking any ideology except devotion to the status quo, failed to muster a response.

But maybe it's good that happened because I feel like there's now a similar process happening on the left. Most committed leftists today are people who couldn't even have imagined a valid critique of, say, Obama in 2008. Now the ways he fell short are obvious - the failure to mount any meaningful criticism of capitalism, the complete lack of anti-imperialist ideology, the humiliating exaltation of process and civility - and it's hard to imagine having that sort of clarity today if Hillary had won in 2016 and the neoliberal project continued unabated.

Trump's stay in the White House has traumatized everyone not on the right, and I think they fall mostly into two camps - people who freak out every time Trump fires someone via Twitter because obviously Putin commanded him to, and people who became aware of the consequences of politics. Bernie losing the nomination was perhaps more demoralizing than I've yet come to terms with, but at least I can't imagine going back to the way things were.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6216
+1s received: 2254
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Magic J » 23 June 2020, 17:09

Derek wrote:All they had to do to gain an audience was point out all the ways liberals were vacuous, hypocritical, strident, and humorless, and the liberal mainstream media, lacking any ideology except devotion to the status quo, failed to muster a response.

I suppose that's the central conceit of Liberalism, in its current incarnation: that it's "non-ideological", or "post-ideological", and "just common sense". I'd say that one of the great achievements of the last decade or so has been the popular realisation that neoliberalism is just another ideological project. Once unmasked as such, alternatives have become much easier to articulate. All those other ideologically driven political stances become a lot less scary once you realise that you're already participating in one. Now it's a matter of attracting support for the better alternative, which is, of course, socialism. :P

Derek wrote:...it's hard to imagine having that sort of clarity today if Hillary had won in 2016 and the neoliberal project continued unabated.

Zizek had a similar line of thought. Got panned for it at the time, but I can now see where he was coming from. I was quite averse to the "we need to make things really terrible for people to support an alternative" kind of thinking, since I'm all nice and such, but Trump's election (and Borxit, to a lesser extent) seems to have concentrated minds on the left. On the ground, people are certainly more likely to give an ear to socialist agitators, in my experience. ;)

Derek wrote:...people who became aware of the consequences of politics.

I feel like people were quite shocked to realise that politics can actually still do things. The disillusionment, I'd think, came in part with the retreat of the state: abandoning some of its power to actually change things to private corporations and the profit motive.

As an example, in the UK, there was a terrible fire in a block of flats in London. The people killed in the fire were mostly black and asian, and all of them were poor (or "economically disadvantaged", if you prefer). Three years on, there are still thousands of similar buildings that have been deemed unsafe and a fire hazard. Why has nothing been done about this? How is it that governments who established the NHS, who built good social housing for all, and who constructed the welfare state, have been rendered unable to deal with this? You certainly don't need to be a socialist to see that impotence and a lack of vision has infected status quo politics. Just who this benefits is increasingly clear.
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby GaySpacePirateKing » 23 June 2020, 23:09

Derek wrote:Trump's stay in the White House has traumatized everyone not on the right, and I think they fall mostly into two camps - people who freak out every time Trump fires someone via Twitter because obviously Putin commanded him to, and people who became aware of the consequences of politics. Bernie losing the nomination was perhaps more demoralizing than I've yet come to terms with, but at least I can't imagine going back to the way things were.


I am not traumatized by Trump himself but at the display of statist power and authority.

Because even in a supposedly 'democratic' state the state can still kill you, its president can threaten to shoot and unleash vicious dogs on the people or give life sentences for pulling down statues.

Its got me thinking that there are a lot of people today who are critical of religion and why aren't they in the same way and for some of the same reasons also oppossed to the state?

A 'democratic' state is obviously far better than an outright tyrannical regime, but to me there doesn't seem any less reason why we shouldn't fear what it can do.

Just wondering if recent events in America have changed anyones views on the state or the police or power and authority in society?
GaySpacePirateKing
 
Posts: 223
+1s received: 84
Joined: 14 January 2019, 18:53

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Magic J » 24 June 2020, 00:33

GaySpacePirateKing wrote:Just wondering if recent events in America have changed anyones views on the state or the police or power and authority in society?

I've been thinking about this quite a lot. Stephen Bush at the New Statesman did a pretty good bit on how the situation in the US has translated over into the UK (I can't seem to find the podcast, though, soz). There's a lot a people who take the "well, at least we're not as bad as the US" kind of line, and it's not exactly an adequate take. Whilst it's objectively true that British policing is far less deadly than that in the US, it also has similar problems in terms of ad-hoc racial profiling and harm in custody and such, which the above sentiment does little to address.

I'm certainly very interested to see where they go with the proposals for re-building a "public safety" organisation from the ground up in Minneapolis. Not exactly clued up, but I would hope for a more democratic independent watchdog, the essential decriminalisation of many "petty" matters currently pursued by the police, and greater funding for the social services that, at their best, help to alleviate some of the root causes of crime.
Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1085
+1s received: 763
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Derek » 24 June 2020, 05:05

Magic J wrote:
Derek wrote:...it's hard to imagine having that sort of clarity today if Hillary had won in 2016 and the neoliberal project continued unabated.

Zizek had a similar line of thought. Got panned for it at the time, but I can now see where he was coming from. I was quite averse to the "we need to make things really terrible for people to support an alternative" kind of thinking, since I'm all nice and such, but Trump's election (and Borxit, to a lesser extent) seems to have concentrated minds on the left. On the ground, people are certainly more likely to give an ear to socialist agitators, in my experience. ;)

What stand out for me about the last five years is that Trump is someone who, on paper, shouldn't have precipitated a crisis of conscience on the left. In terms of almost everything that really matters - imperial warfare, civil equalities, the surveillance state, concentration of executive powers, pillaging of the welfare state, the conquest of the financial class - he hasn't done as much damage as Bush, and it's not even close. It's challenging parsing these issues from the cultural ones that occupy a larger share of public consciousness, but I think it's fair to say that most people weren't prepared to shape them into a cogent ideology before Trump burst onto the scene and started a new chapter in our political history.

That's sort of the point I wanted to make before the rambling took me - the alt-right identified fault lines in our politics that the left had ignored. Before, the conflict was benevolent neoliberalism vs. malicious neoliberalism. Now... it's left vs. right. I think there's a legitimate case to make that we have Pepe to thank for that.

And that's why I mentioned Biden. I was reading the argument I had with Johnny where I was essentially advocating accelerationism by saying I hope Trump wins reelection. I was kind of joking, but I might have convinced myself. That might be a valid insight or it might be an indication of the sort of soul-sickness that causes 2020 to make more sense to people than 2016.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6216
+1s received: 2254
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby josheTR » 24 June 2020, 07:01

Have been fairly careful recently regarding COVID, but I am worried I may have some symptoms.. I only go to the store when I need essentials but have got a progressively worse chest pain and cough, feel burning up all the time (although told I am cold/warm to the touch), and tired almost all day.. it’s probably nothing, but the worry is real
josheTR
 
Posts: 30
+1s received: 9
Joined: 18 June 2020, 08:37

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Brenden » 24 June 2020, 12:04

josheTR wrote:Have been fairly careful recently regarding COVID, but I am worried I may have some symptoms.. I only go to the store when I need essentials but have got a progressively worse chest pain and cough, feel burning up all the time (although told I am cold/warm to the touch), and tired almost all day.. it’s probably nothing, but the worry is real

Take a large amount of vitamin D (10,000 IU with a fatty meal daily for a few days), a moderate amount of vitamin K (like 2-3x the recommended dose daily as long as you’re taking the D), and keep taking a large amount of vitamin C (3,000 mg) throughout the day.

There is mounting research that vitamin D insufficiency is causally related to bad COVID-19 outcomes, vitamin K interacts with vitamin D3 to prevent complications from taking so much at once, and vitamin C has shown lots of efficacy in treating all sorts of infections but especially respiratory infections (in one study I recently read specifically about COVID-19, there was a significant reduction in the hospital patients who needed oxygen or mechanical ventilation amongst the group who was given large doses of vitamin C orally immediately on admission to the hospital compared to the group who wasn’t).

Also, relax. You’re 26. Probably in good shape. The odds that you’ll have a bad case are extremely low.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7942
+1s received: 2695
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 24 June 2020, 13:27

Derek wrote:Before, the conflict was benevolent neoliberalism vs. malicious neoliberalism. Now... it's left vs. right. I think there's a legitimate case to make that we have Pepe to thank for that.

Isn’t Richard Spencer’s alt-right fine with socialism? What about the alt-right caused a shift in thinking about “neo-liberalism” (however we’re defining that)?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8896
+1s received: 2284
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Sullivan » 25 June 2020, 16:46

Derek wrote:And that's why I mentioned Biden. I was reading the argument I had with Johnny where I was essentially advocating accelerationism by saying I hope Trump wins reelection. I was kind of joking, but I might have convinced myself. That might be a valid insight or it might be an indication of the sort of soul-sickness that causes 2020 to make more sense to people than 2016.

Imma mail you out a pot and some antacid in case all that soul-sickness makes you queasy.
User avatar
Sullivan
 
Posts: 653
+1s received: 195
Joined: 25 July 2013, 02:12
Location: Chicago
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby josheTR » 25 June 2020, 17:43

Brenden wrote:
josheTR wrote:Have been fairly careful recently regarding COVID, but I am worried I may have some symptoms.. I only go to the store when I need essentials but have got a progressively worse chest pain and cough, feel burning up all the time (although told I am cold/warm to the touch), and tired almost all day.. it’s probably nothing, but the worry is real

Take a large amount of vitamin D (10,000 IU with a fatty meal daily for a few days), a moderate amount of vitamin K (like 2-3x the recommended dose daily as long as you’re taking the D), and keep taking a large amount of vitamin C (3,000 mg) throughout the day.

There is mounting research that vitamin D insufficiency is causally related to bad COVID-19 outcomes, vitamin K interacts with vitamin D3 to prevent complications from taking so much at once, and vitamin C has shown lots of efficacy in treating all sorts of infections but especially respiratory infections (in one study I recently read specifically about COVID-19, there was a significant reduction in the hospital patients who needed oxygen or mechanical ventilation amongst the group who was given large doses of vitamin C orally immediately on admission to the hospital compared to the group who wasn’t).

Also, relax. You’re 26. Probably in good shape. The odds that you’ll have a bad case are extremely low.

I already take daily supplements anyway, it’s 25UG of Vitamin D, started taking it for pain at the start of the year - admittedly it can’t be COVID as I’ve been quite careful not travelling unless necessary - I think the heat and stress of this year is getting to me!
josheTR
 
Posts: 30
+1s received: 9
Joined: 18 June 2020, 08:37

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby ThatNomad » 25 June 2020, 17:45

It is quite astonishing what both heat and stress can do to a human body. But still, please be careful.
User avatar
ThatNomad
 
Posts: 130
+1s received: 68
Joined: 22 June 2020, 18:54
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Brenden » 25 June 2020, 19:17

josheTR wrote:
Brenden wrote:
josheTR wrote:Have been fairly careful recently regarding COVID, but I am worried I may have some symptoms.. I only go to the store when I need essentials but have got a progressively worse chest pain and cough, feel burning up all the time (although told I am cold/warm to the touch), and tired almost all day.. it’s probably nothing, but the worry is real

Take a large amount of vitamin D (10,000 IU with a fatty meal daily for a few days), a moderate amount of vitamin K (like 2-3x the recommended dose daily as long as you’re taking the D), and keep taking a large amount of vitamin C (3,000 mg) throughout the day.

There is mounting research that vitamin D insufficiency is causally related to bad COVID-19 outcomes, vitamin K interacts with vitamin D3 to prevent complications from taking so much at once, and vitamin C has shown lots of efficacy in treating all sorts of infections but especially respiratory infections (in one study I recently read specifically about COVID-19, there was a significant reduction in the hospital patients who needed oxygen or mechanical ventilation amongst the group who was given large doses of vitamin C orally immediately on admission to the hospital compared to the group who wasn’t).

Also, relax. You’re 26. Probably in good shape. The odds that you’ll have a bad case are extremely low.

I already take daily supplements anyway, it’s 25UG of Vitamin D, started taking it for pain at the start of the year - admittedly it can’t be COVID as I’ve been quite careful not travelling unless necessary - I think the heat and stress of this year is getting to me!

Well you can always book a test! I just today received a pamphlet from NHS Scotland about their Test & Protect scheme. I'm sure England has similar.

In fact, if you suspect any symptoms you really ought to get a test as a matter of course. Knowing whether you're positive means you can protect others by being extra sure to stay away from them.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7942
+1s received: 2695
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Brenden, ceez, CommonCrawl [Bot], Eryx, Google [Bot], Jacobumills, Magic J, Mojeek [Bot], Molech, René and 80 guests