What are you thinking at the moment?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 17 November 2020, 22:55

Had a therapist appointment. I heard the word "interesting." Now, I'm wondering what she was thinking. Perhaps its: "He's screwed up he'll be in therapy here a lonnnnngggg time. I can get that BMW!"

:lol:
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby rogonandi » 18 November 2020, 16:57

When I stretched just now, at least three of my joints snapped. My husband says I’m the joint-snappiest person he’s ever been around. :awesome:
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1784
+1s received: 1239
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby erti » 18 November 2020, 17:42

rogonandi wrote:When I stretched just now, at least three of my joints snapped. My husband says I’m the joint-snappiest person he’s ever been around. :awesome:


lol you're 36.. about ready to be middle age. joints are gonna snap crackle and pop. At 30 I'm getting some of that as well. Especially my knees.
“Don't take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1413
+1s received: 913
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 18 November 2020, 22:04

Yesterday, I saw a video about the new MacBook Air. I started fantasizing about getting one... I could have a new toy! The latest thing, even! I could have my first-ever laptop! (Well, first laptop that's usable in the modern world--I've had several ancient PowerBooks that were obsolete when I got them, but were fun toys.) And it has practical advantages, like long battery life. And--from what the video said--more than enough power to be my one and only computer.

Then, later, I saw a couple of videos done by Louis Rossmann, a repair tech who can be quite critical of Apple. After watching those, I lost my enthusiasm for the new, glittery Apple toy...

Possibly a good thing, given my financial position, and the cost of that shiny new toy...
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby stuff » 19 November 2020, 03:45

John27 wrote:Yesterday, I saw a video about the new MacBook Air. I started fantasizing about getting one... I could have a new toy! The latest thing, even! I could have my first-ever laptop! (Well, first laptop that's usable in the modern world--I've had several ancient PowerBooks that were obsolete when I got them, but were fun toys.) And it has practical advantages, like long battery life. And--from what the video said--more than enough power to be my one and only computer.

Then, later, I saw a couple of videos done by Louis Rossmann, a repair tech who can be quite critical of Apple. After watching those, I lost my enthusiasm for the new, glittery Apple toy...

Possibly a good thing, given my financial position, and the cost of that shiny new toy...


I ordered the new mac mini yesterday. I have seen some of his videos too, and yes he is extremely critical of Apple. I've somehow become fully in with Apple over the last several years, while still recognizing their faults. Every so often you might get screwed over by them, but that's probably true of a lot of products. I don't know if you should let his intense focus on the things that go wrong stop you from getting one. However, you should definitely pay attention to your financial situation.
stuff
 
Posts: 40
+1s received: 40
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby René » 19 November 2020, 04:59

I will say, John27 doesn't strike me as an Apple person. More Android over iOS, Linux or Windows over macOS. Like me, haha. I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6820
+1s received: 2348
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 05:25

stuff wrote:I ordered the new mac mini yesterday.


Let us know how you like it!

I have seen some of his videos too, and yes he is extremely critical of Apple. I've somehow become fully in with Apple over the last several years, while still recognizing their faults. Every so often you might get screwed over by them, but that's probably true of a lot of products.


And being fair about it, Rossmann sees Apple products at their worst: when they are broken and on his work bench...

And every company does some things well, and could, er, do other things better.

I also hope that Apple will address some of the issues that have mentioned in those videos. It's one hopeful sign, for example, that they've moved away from the butterfly keyboard that was problematic by all accounts.


However, you should definitely pay attention to your financial situation.


Yes, and that's the thing that make the MacBook Air unlikely for me, regardless of those Rossmann videos. Particularly in light of the difficulty of justifying the expenditure, given my actual needs. I used to be an Apple loyalist--even during the dark times of the 1990s when it seemed like they were about to go under. But drifted away in the 2000s because the cost was more than I could afford (at times) or ever justify, given my actual needs.

Still, it was fun to think if only for a short time of getting a hot, new product. And the first brand new computer I've had in 30 years (before many people here were even born!). But...a $50 used Dell is more practical...
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 05:58

René wrote:I will say, John27 doesn't strike me as an Apple person. More Android over iOS, Linux or Windows over macOS.


Actually, I'd probably take anything over Windows. But that might be partly influenced by horrible past experiences with Windows.

Otherwise, you may be right. It's hard to say for sure, since I have little iOS or modern macOS experience. My most relevant Apple experience is the Macintosh of the late 1980s and 1990s. Which is ancient history, and totally different software from what Apple has now. (OS X basically scrapped the old Macintosh OS. Many things were similar--like putting the menu bar on top of the screen--but a lot changed, and internally OS X is completely different.)

I've used Linux for years now. It was initially a choice influenced heavily by cost. My only need for upgrading was to move to having home Internet, and Linux was free, and ran on cheap, used hardware. I kept the Mac I'd been using to do everything else. But as application software improved, it eventually reached a point where Linux took over.
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 05:59

René wrote:I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.


What do you find annoying, René?
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Brenden » 19 November 2020, 06:31

John27 wrote:
René wrote:I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.

What do you find annoying, René?

I think he finds the consistency, reliability, and overall quality strange. To him, it’s not a proper operating system unless it’s having trouble with memory management, or preventing him from turning off his monitor.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8380
+1s received: 3044
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby René » 19 November 2020, 06:33

Har har har.

John27 wrote:
René wrote:I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.

What do you find annoying, René?

Things like being hard or impossible to use using a keyboard rather than a mouse and limiting user freedom over their own device. For example, on Android you can install a file explorer (if your device doesn't come with one already) and explore the file system like you can on any normal operating system. On iOS, I'm told, the real file system is completely hidden from the user, as though it doesn't exist. It treats you like a baby.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6820
+1s received: 2348
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby stuff » 19 November 2020, 06:41

When I was a kid in elementary school in the 90s, we had Macs only in our classrooms. And I actually we also had older Apple computers that took those big floppy disks. Maybe they were something from the Apple II family. Then our first computer we got in our house was a Mac in 1995, when people weren't getting Macs anymore and it was hard to get software for it. Then I was on Windows from 2000-2013, when I got the Macbook Pro that I'm currently still using. So they kind of instilled some affinity for them at a young age I guess. At work I use Windows, though, and I generally hate it.

Unfortunately, the Mac Mini won't be coming for 3-4 weeks.
stuff
 
Posts: 40
+1s received: 40
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Derek » 19 November 2020, 06:42

I haven't used an Apple device since iTunes went off the rails fifteen years ago. I truly hate macOS software, and how vertically integrated it all is.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6610
+1s received: 2520
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby Severelius » 19 November 2020, 06:43

I only ever use PCs nowadays when I'm at work cause that's what they are. I've been using Macbooks for my personal use for so long now I doubt I'll ever go back to a Windows laptop again.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4088
+1s received: 894
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 06:44

I've also been interested in ChromeBooks off and on. I like the small, light models--something one use as a portable device without thinking of it....

But...they are limited, and I can't see having one as a one and only computer. Which is about the only way I could see spending the money. And I don't think I'd want my one and only computer so tied to Google.
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby stuff » 19 November 2020, 06:46

René wrote:Har har har.

John27 wrote:
René wrote:I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.

What do you find annoying, René?

Things like being hard or impossible to use using a keyboard rather than a mouse and limiting user freedom over their own device. For example, on Android you can install a file explorer (if your device doesn't come with one already) and explore the file system like you can on any normal operating system. On iOS, I'm told, the real file system is completely hidden from the user, as though it doesn't exist. It treats you like a baby.


MacOS has tons of keyboard shortcuts that I use constantly. I can do a lot of things without using a mouse.

And you're talking about how iOS limits you, but macOS is completely different. You can get pretty deep into the system and do a lot with it. Although they do seem to keep adding more and more security features every year that makes some of that harder. To me, Windows feels like a clunky disjointed nonsensical operating system.
stuff
 
Posts: 40
+1s received: 40
Joined: 23 September 2020, 22:38
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 06:54

stuff wrote:When I was a kid in elementary school in the 90s, we had Macs only in our classrooms. And I actually we also had older Apple computers that took those big floppy disks. Maybe they were something from the Apple II family


I wouldn't be surprised if Apple IIs lingered well into the 1990s. Schools had a lot of software. Indeed, one option for some Macs of the early 1990s was a board that would allow the Mac to run Apple II software. This was seen as good for schools--they could redo a computer lab, and still run all the software they had lying around.
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby John27 » 19 November 2020, 06:57

stuff wrote:Unfortunately, the Mac Mini won't be coming for 3-4 weeks.


Well, I hope the weeks pass quickly! Although I guess it's 2020, a year that seems to be lasting forever!
John27
 
Posts: 402
+1s received: 175
Joined: 16 January 2020, 23:22
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby René » 19 November 2020, 07:14

stuff wrote:
René wrote:Har har har.

John27 wrote:
René wrote:I can't stand Apple operating systems. They always annoy me so much.

What do you find annoying, René?

Things like being hard or impossible to use using a keyboard rather than a mouse and limiting user freedom over their own device. For example, on Android you can install a file explorer (if your device doesn't come with one already) and explore the file system like you can on any normal operating system. On iOS, I'm told, the real file system is completely hidden from the user, as though it doesn't exist. It treats you like a baby.

MacOS has tons of keyboard shortcuts that I use constantly. I can do a lot of things without using a mouse.

And you're talking about how iOS limits you, but macOS is completely different. You can get pretty deep into the system and do a lot with it. Although they do seem to keep adding more and more security features every year that makes some of that harder. To me, Windows feels like a clunky disjointed nonsensical operating system.

All I remember is one time on Brenden's MacBook "Pro", there was a dialogue box on the screen with 2 or 3 buttons, and I tried to use Tab and Enter to choose an option, but it didn't do anything. It's like, come on. This is basic stuff. Maybe it's gotten better since then? :shrug:

I hate Windows too, just not as much. I'm chiefly a Linux/KDE user. I do like macOS insofar as its UNIX foundations make it similar to Linux under the hood, but as far as the GUI goes, it always bugs me in one way or another.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6820
+1s received: 2348
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you thinking at the moment?

Unread postby PopTart » 19 November 2020, 10:41

Apple software, just works. I think it's most satisfied users, are those that don't want to go rooting around in the directories, pick apart the guts of the thing and just want to be able to go with it, with minimal fuss.

Windows on the other hand is almost the opposite of that. Before Windows 10 and to a lesser extent android, Windows you could alter most things, upto breaking the OS if you aren't careful and as a result it suffers from a less streamlined, modularity. But you get control and customisability. I favour Windows for reason, I like that I can dig around and make things to my liking and not how Apple feels I should like things.

As to Linux, I have never used it. Much to my shame. I heard about it when I was a kid in the 90's but I was busy learning Windows back then and it had been a nightmare convincing my parents to buy me a cheap second hand pc, I wasn't about to get a second one because of a different operating system, they wouldn't have understood what that meant or its significance :lol:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 3195
+1s received: 2598
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: acpro, CommonCrawl [Bot], René, wooAntak and 87 guests