What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby acpro » 13 December 2020, 22:28

◼What movies are you watching? - Bad Santa is my fav christmas movie
◼What songs are you listening to? Mariah Carey Christmas songs loll
◼What food are you eating? chocolate chip cookies
◼What are your Christmas traditions? making chocolate chip cookies
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2277
+1s received: 417
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby René » 14 December 2020, 03:51

poolerboy0077 wrote:

Zwarte Piet? :awesome: I get so much joy bringing him up every year. :lol:

Tell us the status of the holiday. I’m sure the controversy has been raised again by activists this year. Any protests? Any further defensiveness by your family?

That's the one! Hahahaha :P

Oh, I couldn't tell you. I'm too outside of it all. We haven't been back in NL in almost 2 years I think! And we were very far away this time (4000-5500 miles). I don't often read Dutch news. There's some chance Brenden's kept up with what's happening with Piet :D
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7633
+1s received: 2775
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Brenden » 14 December 2020, 04:27

Derek wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Derek wrote:I'm not doing shit. I'm making my preferred holiday cocktail of eggnog, rum, and cinnamon liqueur, but that's it.

Shouldn’t eggnog already have rum in it?

I mean, it doesn't come from the store that way.

Oh. You buy that sort of eggnog.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8899
+1s received: 3375
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 14 December 2020, 06:17

Brenden wrote:
Derek wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Derek wrote:I'm not doing shit. I'm making my preferred holiday cocktail of eggnog, rum, and cinnamon liqueur, but that's it.

Shouldn’t eggnog already have rum in it?

I mean, it doesn't come from the store that way.

Oh. You buy that sort of eggnog.

So, maybe I’ve bought really terrible eggnog but...is it supposed to taste eggy?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9666
+1s received: 2670
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Derek » 14 December 2020, 07:05

Brenden wrote:
Derek wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Derek wrote:I'm not doing shit. I'm making my preferred holiday cocktail of eggnog, rum, and cinnamon liqueur, but that's it.

Shouldn’t eggnog already have rum in it?

I mean, it doesn't come from the store that way.

Oh. You buy that sort of eggnog.

It's what I grew up on. You can't shame my culture or traditions.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6839
+1s received: 2653
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Brenden » 14 December 2020, 14:50

poolerboy0077 wrote:So, maybe I’ve bought really terrible eggnog but...is it supposed to taste eggy?

Well, it’s not supposed to have cooked egg, so it shouldn’t taste like scrambled eggs or custard.

It’s also supposed to be like >20% alcohol.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8899
+1s received: 3375
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Severelius » 14 December 2020, 15:42

This just made me realise I have legit never had eggnog in my life. I don't even know what it really is in terms of contents/ingredients, I've just avoided it because 99% of the time I don't like eggs.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4799
+1s received: 1255
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Marmaduke » 14 December 2020, 15:58

Severelius wrote:This just made me realise I have legit never had eggnog in my life. I don't even know what it really is in terms of contents/ingredients, I've just avoided it because 99% of the time I don't like eggs.

It’s just a very thin custard with nutmeg in it. Have you ever had those custard tarts from M&S with the nutmeg grated on top? Those, but as a liquid.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby René » 14 December 2020, 15:59

René wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:

Zwarte Piet? :awesome: I get so much joy bringing him up every year. :lol:

Tell us the status of the holiday. I’m sure the controversy has been raised again by activists this year. Any protests? Any further defensiveness by your family?

That's the one! Hahahaha :P

Oh, I couldn't tell you. I'm too outside of it all. We haven't been back in NL in almost 2 years I think! And we were very far away this time (4000-5500 miles). I don't often read Dutch news. There's some chance Brenden's kept up with what's happening with Piet :D

Apparently depictions of Zwarte Piet are now banned on Facebook and Instagram. And Google no longer allows depictions in ads, even if they don't use blackface and instead have a person appearing simply with soot on their skin from going down the chimneys. :wtf:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7633
+1s received: 2775
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 14 December 2020, 16:19

Brenden wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:So, maybe I’ve bought really terrible eggnog but...is it supposed to taste eggy?

Well, it’s not supposed to have cooked egg, so it shouldn’t taste like scrambled eggs or custard.

It’s also supposed to be like >20% alcohol.

I’ll chalk it up to having bought a shitty one at the store. Any brands you recommend (that are sold in the US)? I want to know what good eggnog tastes like.

René wrote:Apparently depictions of Zwarte Piet are now banned on Facebook and Instagram. And Google no longer allows depictions in ads, even if they don't use blackface and instead have a person appearing simply with soot on their skin from going down the chimneys. :wtf:

You know what you guys need? Those open forums I see on YouTube sometimes where you all discuss issues of import. Something like this but with Zwarte Piet as the subject:



And invite old white grannies and black activists. :awesome:
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9666
+1s received: 2670
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Severelius » 14 December 2020, 16:34

Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:This just made me realise I have legit never had eggnog in my life. I don't even know what it really is in terms of contents/ingredients, I've just avoided it because 99% of the time I don't like eggs.

It’s just a very thin custard with nutmeg in it. Have you ever had those custard tarts from M&S with the nutmeg grated on top? Those, but as a liquid.

That honestly sounds pretty grim, to be honest.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4799
+1s received: 1255
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Jasper1 » 14 December 2020, 17:26

So London now goes into Tier 3 from Wednesday!

Fuck! Change of Christmas plans for me then! :(
User avatar
Jasper1
 
Posts: 147
+1s received: 94
Joined: 12 July 2020, 11:44
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Marmaduke » 14 December 2020, 17:38

Severelius wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:This just made me realise I have legit never had eggnog in my life. I don't even know what it really is in terms of contents/ingredients, I've just avoided it because 99% of the time I don't like eggs.

It’s just a very thin custard with nutmeg in it. Have you ever had those custard tarts from M&S with the nutmeg grated on top? Those, but as a liquid.

That honestly sounds pretty grim, to be honest.

Yes, but, on the obverse of that point, I’m me. And you’re you. And I’m always right. Which means you must always be wrong.

But no, I don’t drink it. It’s just not something I associate with Christmas. It’s more of an American thing to me than a Christmas thing. I also wouldn’t drink it ‘hard’, I’m quite firmly minded that the world will manage quite well enough without further alcoholic dairy products. We’ve got too many already.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby OutsideIn » 14 December 2020, 18:23

poolerboy0077 wrote:I’ll chalk it up to having bought a shitty one at the store. Any brands you recommend (that are sold in the US)? I want to know what good eggnog tastes like.

I haven't tried a store brand that has been good. I am lactose intolerant now and can only have the Lactaid kind. It tastes the same. The store bought ones are always very thick and don't have much of a spiced flavor.

My family has a non-alcoholic recipe that is decent. It tastes more like warm spiced milk. It takes a little while to make, and I think heating it without cooking the milk or eggs can be tricky.

I associate egg nog more with New Years than with Christmas. Maybe that is just my family's tradition.
OutsideIn
 
Posts: 416
+1s received: 247
Joined: 25 November 2020, 18:58
Location: Earth
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Brenden » 14 December 2020, 18:55

poolerboy0077 wrote:
Brenden wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:So, maybe I’ve bought really terrible eggnog but...is it supposed to taste eggy?

Well, it’s not supposed to have cooked egg, so it shouldn’t taste like scrambled eggs or custard.

It’s also supposed to be like >20% alcohol.

I’ll chalk it up to having bought a shitty one at the store. Any brands you recommend (that are sold in the US)? I want to know what good eggnog tastes like.

To know what good eggnog tastes like, you’d have to make it yourself and age it for at least a month, ideally 6 months. :nod:

My mom gets Evan Williams, which I thought was pretty good, so you could try that.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8899
+1s received: 3375
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby acpro » 14 December 2020, 20:46

Erick, any eggnog from a grocery store! Or if you want alcoholic just get one of the ones in a handle. I've had the old new england and the PA Dutch - they were both fine. It's super rich though. It's not something you're going to want to drink a lot of probably.

Also, you can make the entire thing from scratch. I've got friends who do that each year.
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2277
+1s received: 417
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Graham » 15 December 2020, 16:53

I've been listening to this a lot recently :)
Do you say yay or nay to it?
User avatar
Graham
 
Posts: 51
+1s received: 13
Joined: 7 January 2013, 01:37
Location: Ireland
Country: Ireland (ie)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Aladdin » 15 December 2020, 17:43

Well I bought some presents. I might just watch a couple of movies.
Aladdin
 
Posts: 95
+1s received: 16
Joined: 15 December 2020, 05:11
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby Marmaduke » 15 December 2020, 17:47

Aladdin wrote:Well I bought some presents....

Pour moi? :3
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8199
+1s received: 3035
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What Christmassy Things Are You Doing? 🎄☃️🎁

Unread postby René » 15 December 2020, 18:16

There comes the sleigh with our present for Brenden's stepmom :D

20201215_131239.jpg

We won't be here for Christmas, but at least we'll get to wrap it and put it under the tree I guess :3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7633
+1s received: 2775
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], CommonCrawl [Bot], erti, Jzone, Keepit_smooth, Magic J, OutsideIn, you&&&i and 146 guests