What made you laugh today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Derek » 19 March 2020, 23:10

I hope it becomes a big controversy so I have a reason to boycott Marvel. That way I don't have to tell people who try to talk to me about it that their taste is shit and that's why I haven't seen the movies.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5928
+1s received: 2021
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Magic J » 19 March 2020, 23:35

Derek wrote:I hope it becomes a big controversy so I have a reason to boycott Marvel. That way I don't have to tell people who try to talk to me about it that their taste is shit and that's why I haven't seen the movies.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the soundtrack. Other than that, I've not seen any of the Marvel films. I say I've seen Black Panther and the one with fat Thor, and that I think they were really good, as this seems to be the standard opinion. They usually just agree enthusiastically, then imitate what I presume is a character from the film, I smile and nod, then they high five me or something before I make my escape.

It just seems like such a commitment at this point. There's too many in jokes, and I really can't be bothered to get up to speed. I remember there was, like, some kind of duck man after the credits. Everyone found this fucking hilarious, and I still don't know why.

The rocket racoon thing was pretty baller, though.
Be Excellent to each other.
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 703
+1s received: 514
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 20 March 2020, 00:04


At least now I have a reason for restricting my comic book reading to just DC. Because Marvel is apparently run by morons.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Sullivan » 20 March 2020, 00:51

Derek wrote:I hope it becomes a big controversy so I have a reason to boycott Marvel. That way I don't have to tell people who try to talk to me about it that their taste is shit and that's why I haven't seen the movies.


That sounds fun, though. The few times I'm around people who expect knowledge of superhero movies, I chortle smugly and explain what hoi polloi means.
User avatar
Sullivan
 
Posts: 601
+1s received: 176
Joined: 25 July 2013, 02:12
Location: Chicago
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby GaySpacePirateKing » 20 March 2020, 21:08

Magic J wrote:I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the soundtrack. Other than that, I've not seen any of the Marvel films. I say I've seen Black Panther and the one with fat Thor, and that I think they were really good, as this seems to be the standard opinion. They usually just agree enthusiastically, then imitate what I presume is a character from the film, I smile and nod, then they high five me or something before I make my escape.


I had rejected the marvel films for ages because they were 'mainstream' and the idea of superheroes was dumb and kind of lame to me. I like them now though I just had to stop thinking about it and just watch them. I actually find them pretty exciting now, there fun and its interesting to me to see how they mix in new characters from vastly different settings to a universe that is already massive. Like it started of as very science based and then started to add in more mythological, magical and supernatural stuff. I am also keen to see how they eventually work in the fantastic 4, x-men and vampires. I was always a fan of Spiderman as well and looking forward to seeing what they do with him crossing over into Sony's universe. I am also hoping they bring deadpool into Marvel.
GaySpacePirateKing
 
Posts: 177
+1s received: 73
Joined: 14 January 2019, 18:53

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 20 March 2020, 21:13

If you want good superhero adaptations in a big shared universe, honestly I'd legitimately say that CW's Arrowverse is better than the MCU for that.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 21 March 2020, 18:22

Image
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8451
+1s received: 2027
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Jzone » 22 March 2020, 00:21

Keep it safe out there guys

sax.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just an everyday boy — doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 1075
+1s received: 1278
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Magic J » 24 March 2020, 13:57

Yet more relevance from Michel and Webb

Be Excellent to each other.
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 703
+1s received: 514
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 26 March 2020, 09:23

I got everything ready for the next week of work only to remember that I don’t start my work week until Friday. Even my husband forgot all about me being off today. :P
Gary was here!
Ash is a loser!


Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1535
+1s received: 1021
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 29 March 2020, 17:56

Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 29 March 2020, 18:29

Severelius wrote:Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.

I wouldn't consider mysellf a nerd and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Ben Affleck's Batman was a betrayal of the character.
ImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6811
+1s received: 1831
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 29 March 2020, 18:36

Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.

I wouldn't consider mysellf a nerd and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Ben Affleck's Batman was a betrayal of the character.

The only character portrayal in BvS I could even theoretically buy as a character betrayal is Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

And I still like that portrayal anyway.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Magic J » 29 March 2020, 18:41

Severelius wrote:Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.

Some friends and I managed to improve the film dramatically by sticking a fake moustache onto the screen. Every time the moustache lined up with Superman's upper lip, we'd take a drink.

10/10 with added moustache.
Be Excellent to each other.
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 703
+1s received: 514
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 29 March 2020, 18:44

Severelius wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.

I wouldn't consider mysellf a nerd and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Ben Affleck's Batman was a betrayal of the character.

The only character portrayal in BvS I could even theoretically buy as a character betrayal is Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

And I still like that portrayal anyway.

Batman doesn't kill people, it's his thing. It's one of his key character traits. He sees killing enemies as abhorent and unacceptable. The whole BvS movie is Batman attemtping to commit one murder and commiting a dozen really brutal murders in the meantime. He shoots people! With guns! It's bad enough that Superman threatens to kill him, that's a betrayal of that character, but the plot of this movie is basically "Batman, traumatised from the Kryptonian incident, has a paranoia-related mental breakdown and goes on a killing spree whilst attempting to kill an equally traumatised zombie Superman"
ImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6811
+1s received: 1831
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Derek » 29 March 2020, 18:46

The only character trait that matters in a Batman movie is how homoerotic it is. The rest is dumb nerd shit.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5928
+1s received: 2021
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 29 March 2020, 18:55

Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
Severelius wrote:Apparently 4 years after its release is still not enough of a time gap to be able to express a positive opinion about Batman v Superman without inspiring severe anger in some nerds.

I wouldn't consider mysellf a nerd and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Ben Affleck's Batman was a betrayal of the character.

The only character portrayal in BvS I could even theoretically buy as a character betrayal is Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

And I still like that portrayal anyway.

Batman doesn't kill people, it's his thing. It's one of his key character traits. He sees killing enemies as abhorent and unacceptable. The whole BvS movie is Batman attemtping to commit one murder and commiting a dozen really brutal murders in the meantime. He shoots people! With guns! It's bad enough that Superman threatens to kill him, that's a betrayal of that character, but the plot of this movie is basically "Batman, traumatised from the Kryptonian incident, has a paranoia-related mental breakdown and goes on a killing spree whilst attempting to kill an equally traumatised zombie Superman"

And sometimes it's nice to see something comic book related that doesn't rigidly stick to the exact way things 'should be' in terms of the characters. Though I do openly admit despite being a fan of superhero comics I've never had any particularly strong fondness for Batman so his character in Batman v Superman being a divergence from the established comic book norm wasn't some great horrific betrayal but just a different way to tell a story that worked with the kind of film they were trying to make.

Because in that universe nobody's perfect. Not even Batman, he's a deeply flawed human being who is utterly fallible and has previously been through a lot of dark shit (dead Robin, for example) and trauma of his own. He's not a typical comic book superhero in that movie, for lack of a better way to put it.

It's like how in the CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths they have a brief cameo by Kevin Conroy as an old, broken and thoroughly nihilistic Bruce Wayne who in his universe totally did totally kill Superman. And the character still totally works.

Not every interpretation or portrayal of the character has to line up with the gold-standard of the comics. Adaptations can be flexible.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 29 March 2020, 19:10

This isn't just a comic book character though. Batman is a TV and film character. Across all of those mediums, certain cornerstones have been retained. This isn't simply a matter of testing nerd patience by cheekily ignoring of a minor canon keystone to tell an interesting story. (Don't even get me started on the story. It was the most disjointed and unecessary rubbish put to screen in a long time). If you're going to sell me on a film based on a character being in it, you have to include that character. You don't get to take artistic license with that character. That character is known and very well established. It's why people continue to engage with it through several actors, because they all play the character differently, but at the heart of the portrayal it's the same character with the same back story and the same core values. You can show me trauma, you can show me disregard, I'd love to see a cynical and detached Batman that has lost his faith in Gotham. But he can't pick up a gun and just go around blowing people up. That's not Batman. That's not the hero. Batman can't be portrayed as the villian without expecting the audience to be upset.

As an example, you yourself are a well known Doctor Who fan. The Doctor is not perfect. He is a fallible character who has been through a lot of dark shit and is struggling to deal with it. However, what writers cannot do is have him deal with it by putting down his sonic screwdriver, picking up an AK47 and just start indiscriminately unleashing automatic gunfire on anyone he deems to be in the wrong. Why? Not because The Doctor doesn't kill. He does. But The Doctor doesn't use guns. It's a cornerstone of his character.

Ignore the cornerstones, ignore the character. Ignore the character you're supposed to be portraying and in the eyes of the fans, you've betrayed that character.
ImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6811
+1s received: 1831
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby erti » 29 March 2020, 19:17

Speaking of DC comics and movies and tv shows for some odd reason a lot of females see joker and Harley Quinn as an ideal relationship but really that was an abusive and toxic relationship. What they should focus on is when Harley and Poison Ivy relationship.
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 780
+1s received: 523
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Severelius » 29 March 2020, 19:24

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong in any way. This is all, after all, personal preference. A story about a nihilistic and jaded Batman who has unfortunately resorted to killing people then being redeemed back to his old ways by Superman, a character who's whole deal is being a total paragon of honour and justice and hope, is not as much of a "oh my god how dare you" thing for me as it would be for others who are more attached to the character than I am.

I just personally find that story to be actually pretty interesting to explore, even if the way they did it was admittedly cack-handed. My original post was only purely about how it's funny to me that it's still fundamentally impossible to ever express any opinion other than "everything about this film is terrible in every way" without being pounced on.

It happens without fail, every time.

Marmaduke wrote:As an example, you yourself are a well known Doctor Who fan. The Doctor is not perfect. He is a fallible character who has been through a lot of dark shit and is struggling to deal with it. However, what writers cannot do is have him deal with it by putting down his sonic screwdriver, picking up an AK47 and just start indiscriminately unleashing automatic gunfire on anyone he deems to be in the wrong. Why? Not because The Doctor doesn't kill. He does. But The Doctor doesn't use guns. It's a cornerstone of his character.

Okay this is just to be pedantic for shits and giggles because I can't not be a nerd about Doctor Who. But there are numerous occasions where the Doctor has used guns (the 12th Doctor shooting a Time Lord general in season 9, 6th Doctor killing Cybermen with a laser gun, 3rd Doctor obliterating an Ogron with a laser gun, just to name 3 off the top of my head) and it's canon that the character literally stopped calling themself 'the Doctor' to fight on the front lines of the Time War.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3096
+1s received: 379
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: Virgin Islands (British) (vg)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Lolwink, Magic J, OhHeyItsZach, rogonandi, rxxli, SexySnowflake, Sogou [Spider] and 141 guests