What made you laugh today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 11 April 2020, 21:58

How? Because I pointed out that right now what’s in vogue for attention whores is this one thing? Please. That’s like saying I stigmatize all philanthropists if I were to express annoyance at those YouTube “white saviors” who go to Africa to save the little black children for what’s clearly a desire for more subscribers and clout rather than give actual help.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 11 April 2020, 22:01

poolerboy0077 wrote:How? Because I pointed out that right now what’s in vogue for attention whores is this one thing? Please. That’s like saying I stigmatize all philanthropists if I were to express annoyance at those YouTube “white saviors” who go to Africa to save the little black children for what’s clearly a desire for more subscribers and clout rather than give actual help.

No, the point you made was;

poolerboy0077 wrote:Not to make light of people’s mental health but why has it become fashionable to wear it on one’s sleeve?


That’s the point you made.

Your point wasn’t that attention whores have taken on mental health issues as “in vogue”. That was my point.

Don’t be so “alt-right reddit” about it, it’s beneath you.
Last edited by Marmaduke on 11 April 2020, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Brenden » 11 April 2020, 22:02

poolerboy0077 wrote:[…] those YouTube “white saviors” who go to Africa to save the little black children for what’s clearly a desire for more subscribers and clout rather than give actual help.

This made me think of him. :lol:
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 7952
+1s received: 2699
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 11 April 2020, 22:22

Marmaduke wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:Not to make light of people’s mental health but why has it become fashionable to wear it on one’s sleeve?


That’s the point you made.

Damn. You got me. My rightwing plot has been foiled by your muckraking. All attempts to clarify what I meant was just backpedaling and Derek is my skinhead accomplice. You’re like Saul Berenson from Homeland only sassier and faggier. I surrender!!! :cry:
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 11 April 2020, 22:24

poolerboy0077 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:Not to make light of people’s mental health but why has it become fashionable to wear it on one’s sleeve?


That’s the point you made.

Damn. You got me. My rightwing plot has been foiled by your muckraking. All attempts to clarify what I meant was just backpedaling and Derek is my skinhead accomplice. You’re like Saul Berenson from Homeland only sassier and faggier. I surrender!!! :cry:

You made no attempt to clarify, you just adopted the point I made and hit me with it. Because you’re all reddity.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 11 April 2020, 22:39

Pointing out obnoxious trends that tend of be subscribed to by the left doesn’t make me a “reddity” person who mindlessly dismisses systemic racism, privilege or the validity of mental health. Nor does it make me a right winger either. But you can believe what you want. I’m not going to prove my street cred.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 11 April 2020, 22:42

I would never call you right wing. That crosses a line. I simply suggested you were taking a tone and tactic that would be more usually found coming from an alt-right antagoniser on reddit. But thank you for your leave, I will accept your kind offer. You Reddity fuck, you.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 11 April 2020, 23:07

Not a problem, cuck!
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 11 April 2020, 23:10

I’m not letting the last words be all Reddity, Pooler.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 11 April 2020, 23:30

In all seriousness though, I fail to see how that’s reddity. I mean, I’m not “antagonizing” for its own sake. It’s really unhelpful to argue in this way and only vindicates real Reddit blowhards. There needs to be a way for people to point out silly proclivities while finding the good sense to see them as separate and apart from their more adult iterations. Does it make one reddity for observing the objective fact that, for instance, mainstream gays films tend to be sappy and without any nuance, featuring a gay character that is always some misunderstood indigo child? Or bemoaning the lazy progressive takes about “born this way”? Does that constitute homophobia erasure?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Derek » 11 April 2020, 23:32

poolerboy0077 wrote:my skinhead accomplice

That's what I call my penis.

My grievance is that mental issues are often a cover for always just talking about yourself, in the exact same way, over and over. It's fine to dump out once in a while, but I think many people would rather hear empty words of reassurance than take any kind of actual step to improve their own health. At that point it's enabling, not helping.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6223
+1s received: 2260
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 11 April 2020, 23:52

poolerboy0077 wrote:In all seriousness though, I fail to see how that’s reddity. I mean, I’m not “antagonizing” for its own sake. It’s really unhelpful to argue in this way and only vindicates real Reddit blowhards. There needs to be a way for people to point out silly proclivities while finding the good sense to see them as separate and apart from their more adult iterations. Does it make one reddity for observing the objective fact that, for instance, mainstream gays films tend to be sappy and without any nuance, featuring a gay character that is always some misunderstood indigo child? Or bemoaning the lazy progressive takes about “born this way”? Does that constitute homophobia erasure?

You can't just open with "in all seriousness" and expect me to just take that at face value. I said I didn't call you right wing, I conceded that was too far. You don't have to treat me like an idiot by suggesting that contesting your reddity bullshit only vindicates your reddity bullshit and thus I should stop because I'm supporting reddity bullshit.

Nobody has told you not to point out "silly proclivities" and you have not taken the time, nor exercised the good sense, to distinguish your crusade against them from their "more adult iterations". It doesn't matter how many gay films you'd care to label your reviews of as objective fact.

What's reddity is that you come into a room, you identify a prevailing trend in the room and state something inflamatory before circling the point, masturbating to nothing that comes out of the debate you caused and proceeded to take no firm standing in.

What's reddity is that you're all too quick to bemoan people for talking out about things, to ascribe them social justice warriors or attention seekers, and dismiss them for being too sensitive to simply keep their thoughts to themselves, or to ignore things that they're not invested in. And then when your turn comes to ignore something that you're not invested in, you get to talk about them, to insist you're not mirroring the behaviours you're railing against simply because the target is different, and insist everyone should accept your point simply because you made it. Because you've certainly offered nothing apart from similie and metaphor to substantiate it.
Last edited by Marmaduke on 12 April 2020, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 April 2020, 00:04

Derek wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:my skinhead accomplice

That's what I call my penis.

My grievance is that mental issues are often a cover for always just talking about yourself, in the exact same way, over and over. It's fine to dump out once in a while, but I think many people would rather hear empty words of reassurance than take any kind of actual step to improve their own health. At that point it's enabling, not helping.


Of all the things I’d ever thought about you, legitimately all the innumerable plethora of things I could possibly think about you, “concerned for the mental wellbeing of complete strangers on the internet” is right down at the bottom of that list. If you’re gonna say you have a grievance, be honest about it. You’re couldn’t give a fuck about the people, whether or not they’re being enabled or how helpful they find anything said in response to them. You just find them annoying and worry it’s distasteful to say so. It’s ok. This is a safe space.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Derek » 12 April 2020, 00:49

Marmaduke wrote:You just find them annoying and worry it’s distasteful to say so.

When was the last time I said so? I am GFO's most improved member, if you'll recall. I am exceptionally polite and considerate and I haven't insulted anyone in weeks. I think the burden is on you to prove that I haven't been incredibly compassionate this whole time.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6223
+1s received: 2260
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 12 April 2020, 01:02

I’m not sure if it’s worth listing the ways these are all straw men but I sincerely apologize if I have ruined any future masturbatory attempts at attention-seeking.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8902
+1s received: 2287
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 April 2020, 07:12

poolerboy0077 wrote:I’m not sure if it’s worth listing the ways these are all straw men but I sincerely apologize if I have ruined any future masturbatory attempts at attention-seeking.

Oh you’re not sure? Well, if I might offer a word of guidance?

I’d say do it. You’ve already played your “You can think what you want of me, I’m not going to dignify this” card and then dignified this and rebutted what I think of you. You even did it in all seriousness. I’d hate for you to be inconsistent in your reddity attempts to seem like you don’t want to defend yourself from the perception that you simply dislike the mentally ill.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 April 2020, 07:16

Derek wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:You just find them annoying and worry it’s distasteful to say so.

When was the last time I said so? I am GFO's most improved member, if you'll recall. I am exceptionally polite and considerate and I haven't insulted anyone in weeks. I think the burden is on you to prove that I haven't been incredibly compassionate this whole time.

Nah, I’m the shady lawyer in this legal drama. I know the court and jury I’m presenting to, this is me asking the question I know I’m not allowed to. The one where your defence objects and the judge sustains it, but it makes no real difference because the jury already heard it. This is the bit where I apologise to the bench and you’re left holding the bag.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2198
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby René » 12 April 2020, 08:25

^ I'm enjoying all this way too much. It feels like the lockdown version of going to see a play :P
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 6025
+1s received: 1875
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby PopTart » 12 April 2020, 10:09

I'm going to weigh in on this matter and likely come to regret it, but here goes :awesome:

I do understand what pooler is saying, I do think there is a propensity for those in our society that seek attention, to latch onto whatever cultural zeitgeist happens to be garnering wide spread attention and right now, victimhood is trending.

Now I don't draw a negative conclusion in regards to that fact. But I do believe it is a fact. I do, however, see both good and bad, in a society that is so heavily concerned with victimhood. On the one hand, it demonstrates an introspective society, that is willing to take a long hard look at itself and acknowledge and recognise the most disadvantaged within its community, are feeling ostracised. As gay people, how can we not relate on some level, even in places where we have become so mainstream? It is important to ask the questions of, Why? and How can we make this better?

But there are people, a small minority, to be sure, that seek out whatever is popular, in order to advance thier own social standing and sadly, mental health and being the victim of mental health issues has become a draw. These people use a faux shroud of suffering, to garner likes and offers of support and encouragement, to elevate their standing and their online profile, to draw upon the attention of others to bolster their own ego and take that boosted confidence out into the world around them. We might say, fair enough, if thats what they need to do, to feel confident... :shrug: But I honestly don't feel it's healthy, it comes from a very negative way of thinking and it cheapens the hardship experienced by those who are genuinely dealing with mental health issues.

It draws away attention from constructive and meaningful means of combating and overcoming mental health problems and instead, focuses solely on that aspect of bearing all, that feeds into their needs. It's parasitical and like many parasitic behaviours, it hurts "the host organism" in this instance, the plight of genuine sufferers of mentla health problems.

My concern, is that the propensity for bearing our hearts in this fashion, while being cathartic and a potentiallygreat source of comfort for many, is being used in a more narcissistic fashion by others, which ultimately undermines the the quest for constructive and meaningful solutions, so that those in the deep, dark, remote isolation of their own depression, might lift themselves out.

Now when it comes time, to identify who is who, I think it can be very hard to discern, who is genuine and who is not. As such, we have to approach everyone, as if they are genuine. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

But we must also do our utmost, to encourage positive change and not to endorse wallowing in such a state. Because this tiny comfort, this incremental boost to ego, can actually be harmful in the long run, it can dissuade those, that in order to live full and happy lives, from making positive changes, because there is a propensity within our soceity, fuelled by those that use this form of victimhood, for their wn advantage and by depressions own self defeating nature, to take the little comfort over the hard road back to sometimes happiness. It creates a whole ecosystem, not around healing, progress and reconstruction, but around veneration of the suffering itself.

Thats what those that use this particular form of victimhood, for their own ends, are doing. Perpetuating that suffering, because, not being subject to it, they instead benefit from it.

It's a conundrum, precisely because we all recognise that mental health is important and there are no easy solutions, either for those that suffer from it, or for those that seek to help those that do.

I stand ready to have my arguements dissected and state quite clearly, that I am no expert and my opinion, is just that.
Last edited by PopTart on 12 April 2020, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2825
+1s received: 2332
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you laugh today?

Unread postby PopTart » 12 April 2020, 10:16

I should also add, incase anyone feels attacked, as I know there are people here, who do indeed suffer from mental health issues, who do use the forum as a means of releasing some of the pressure of their emotional and mental hardships. I'm not suggesting that those of you who do, are "fake" I hope you would know me well enough to know that isn't who I am and I also hope that this particular conversation, doesn't make you feel, like you can no longer express yourself in that fashion here.

I don't think that has been the intention of any participant in this discussion.

:hug:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2825
+1s received: 2332
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ceez, CommonCrawl [Bot], Eos, Yandex [Bot] and 105 guests