What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 16 February 2021, 13:09

OutsideIn wrote:
René wrote:
OutsideIn wrote:This vaccine rollout is such a cluster fuck. They have had a year to prepare. This makes me very concerned about any government related healthcare efforts in the U.S.

You weren't already? :P

Under Trump, nothing was going to happen since universal healthcare is half a step away from full blown communism. Now that the Democrats are in full control, who knows.

Doesn't full control involve having at least 3/5 (or ideally 2/3) of the senate?
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7330
+1s received: 2562
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 16 February 2021, 13:14

OutsideIn wrote:universal healthcare is half a step away from full blown communism. Now that the Democrats are in full control, who knows.

The UK has had a fully socialised healthcare service for over 70 years and is still one of the most capitalist countries on the planet and 10 places higher than the United States on the Index of Economic Freedom.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby OutsideIn » 16 February 2021, 13:15

René wrote:Doesn't full control involve having at least 3/5 (or ideally 2/3) of the senate?

Depends on what they are voting on. A simple majority is enough a lot of items. They have 50% plus the VP as a tie breaker.
OutsideIn
 
Posts: 333
+1s received: 193
Joined: 25 November 2020, 18:58
Location: Earth
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby OutsideIn » 16 February 2021, 13:20

Brenden wrote:The UK has had a fully socialised healthcare service for over 70 years and is still one of the most capitalist countries on the planet and 10 places higher than the United States on the Index of Economic Freedom.

Please do not attempt to inject reason and logical thinking into American politics. There is no place for that here.

(And, to be fair, it is very different trying to accomplish that in a nation as large and diverse as ours. Add to that the unusual way we divide the responsibilities between the federal and state governments, and it is no wonder we can’t do anything right. Some states did very well with the vaccine, but most did not.)
OutsideIn
 
Posts: 333
+1s received: 193
Joined: 25 November 2020, 18:58
Location: Earth
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 16 February 2021, 14:23

OutsideIn wrote:
Brenden wrote:The UK has had a fully socialised healthcare service for over 70 years and is still one of the most capitalist countries on the planet and 10 places higher than the United States on the Index of Economic Freedom.

Please do not attempt to inject reason and logical thinking into American politics. There is no place for that here.

(And, to be fair, it is very different trying to accomplish that in a nation as large and diverse as ours. Add to that the unusual way we divide the responsibilities between the federal and state governments, and it is no wonder we can’t do anything right. Some states did very well with the vaccine, but most did not.)

Government-run health programs in the United States, including those that are administered by the States, consistently rank highest in consumer satisfaction and popularity.

You know that even many European countries are having difficulties with the vaccine rollout. The US is even ahead of many. It is a massive undertaking which is faced with many challenges not least of all production and supply shortages.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby OutsideIn » 16 February 2021, 16:55

Brenden wrote:Government-run health programs in the United States, including those that are administered by the States, consistently rank highest in consumer satisfaction and popularity.

You know that even many European countries are having difficulties with the vaccine rollout. The US is even ahead of many. It is a massive undertaking which is faced with many challenges not least of all production and supply shortages.

I didn't say anything about consumer satisfaction. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing again?

The programs listed in the survey aren't really about government-run health programs. They are about health insurance to cover the costs. The actual healthcare is still mostly privately run. The one truly government-run health program that occurs to me would be the Veterans Administration, and given their scandals in recent years, you probably don't want to cite them as an example. These aren't comparable to the type of healthcare run by the government in the UK or other countries.

At the risk of sound arrogant, I have spent years working in both private and government healthcare. I have also been a private citizen struggling with serious health issues while being denied coverage by my insurance for the treatment I needed. I have seen it from all sides, and I have inside information that you won't see online or in any news report. Despite my experience that is more extensive than the average person, I do not have much to offer in the way of solutions because it is such a massively complex problem. One of the few things I can say for certain is that the U.S. is very different from countries that have government healthcare, both in terms of its population and its geography. Making comparisons without factoring those into the equation is completely pointless.

I am well aware that most places are having challenges with the vaccine rollout. While I am not directly involved, I am a lot closer to the frontlines of this epidemic than most people. You don't actually think that a single line I wrote out of personal frustration represents my entire view on the subject? It's the Internet. Calm down and take it with a huge grain of salt. I posted that after receiving yet another confusing communication about my eligibility as I was repeatedly bounced back and forth between two different agencies. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get an appointment for a senior citizen or for someone at high risk. And I hold the U.S. to a much higher standard than I do other countries. We are supposedly the richest, most powerful nation on earth, but we don't always act like it.
OutsideIn
 
Posts: 333
+1s received: 193
Joined: 25 November 2020, 18:58
Location: Earth
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby mastmck » 18 February 2021, 22:39

OutsideIn wrote:
Brenden wrote:Government-run health programs in the United States, including those that are administered by the States, consistently rank highest in consumer satisfaction and popularity.

You know that even many European countries are having difficulties with the vaccine rollout. The US is even ahead of many. It is a massive undertaking which is faced with many challenges not least of all production and supply shortages.

I didn't say anything about consumer satisfaction. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing again?

The programs listed in the survey aren't really about government-run health programs. They are about health insurance to cover the costs. The actual healthcare is still mostly privately run. The one truly government-run health program that occurs to me would be the Veterans Administration, and given their scandals in recent years, you probably don't want to cite them as an example. These aren't comparable to the type of healthcare run by the government in the UK or other countries.

At the risk of sound arrogant, I have spent years working in both private and government healthcare. I have also been a private citizen struggling with serious health issues while being denied coverage by my insurance for the treatment I needed. I have seen it from all sides, and I have inside information that you won't see online or in any news report. Despite my experience that is more extensive than the average person, I do not have much to offer in the way of solutions because it is such a massively complex problem. One of the few things I can say for certain is that the U.S. is very different from countries that have government healthcare, both in terms of its population and its geography. Making comparisons without factoring those into the equation is completely pointless.

I am well aware that most places are having challenges with the vaccine rollout. While I am not directly involved, I am a lot closer to the frontlines of this epidemic than most people. You don't actually think that a single line I wrote out of personal frustration represents my entire view on the subject? It's the Internet. Calm down and take it with a huge grain of salt. I posted that after receiving yet another confusing communication about my eligibility as I was repeatedly bounced back and forth between two different agencies. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get an appointment for a senior citizen or for someone at high risk. And I hold the U.S. to a much higher standard than I do other countries. We are supposedly the richest, most powerful nation on earth, but we don't always act like it.


This conversation looks like it belongs in the news, politics & current events thread
Image
mastmck
 
Posts: 107
+1s received: 47
Joined: 16 July 2018, 21:37

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby mastmck » 18 February 2021, 22:46

My niece was woken up late this morning so she was fed her breakfast and her, her parents and I immediately left for an hour and a half long drive for a meeting.
Half an hour into the journey as she didn't have time to digest her breakfast before leaving, she was sick in the back of my car. So the last hour of the journey there seemed very long
Image
mastmck
 
Posts: 107
+1s received: 47
Joined: 16 July 2018, 21:37

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Severelius » 20 February 2021, 14:37

Watched my brother play through Little Nightmares 2 and there was a character in it that eerily reminds me of something I used to have recurring nightmares about as a kid and that's kinda freaked me out.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4506
+1s received: 1094
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 23 February 2021, 03:15

I scalded myself cooking tonight. I accidentally splashed boiling water on my shirt and belly. It’s not serious but it’s bad enough that I can still feel it now. :(
Image
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1913
+1s received: 1295
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 23 February 2021, 13:01

Instead of the 200 g of fennel seed extract I ordered from India and have been waiting a month to receive, I've just received 200 g of fenugreek extract.

It smells lovely (like maple syrup), but it can't be more directly opposite what I ordered: fenugreek is known to cause the digestive problems that fennel helps with.

So now I'll have to wait another month before a replacement arrives, but that may be too late.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PostThis post was deleted by Brenden on 23 February 2021, 13:51.
Reason: virtual panhandling spam

PostThis post was deleted by Brenden on 23 February 2021, 13:51.
Reason: virtual panhandling spam

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby jamessemaj » 23 February 2021, 22:08

Brenden wrote:Instead of the 200 g of fennel seed extract I ordered from India and have been waiting a month to receive, I've just received 200 g of fenugreek extract.

It smells lovely (like maple syrup), but it can't be more directly opposite what I ordered: fenugreek is known to cause the digestive problems that fennel helps with.

So now I'll have to wait another month before a replacement arrives, but that may be too late.


On the plus side, you can make yourself a curry!
James
x
User avatar
jamessemaj
 
Posts: 24
+1s received: 5
Joined: 31 December 2016, 15:23
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 23 February 2021, 22:10

jamessemaj wrote:On the plus side, you can make yourself a curry!

Haha, this is a 4:1 extract, so you’d need only a pinch of it in any food preparation. I could make 200+ curries!
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Severelius » 23 February 2021, 22:12

Brenden wrote:
jamessemaj wrote:On the plus side, you can make yourself a curry!

Haha, this is a 4:1 extract, so you’d need only a pinch of it in any food preparation. I could make 200+ curries!

This sounds like the exact opposite of a problem. :lol:
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4506
+1s received: 1094
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 23 February 2021, 22:16

Severelius wrote:
Brenden wrote:
jamessemaj wrote:On the plus side, you can make yourself a curry!

Haha, this is a 4:1 extract, so you’d need only a pinch of it in any food preparation. I could make 200+ curries!

This sounds like the exact opposite of a problem. :lol:

As I said in my original post, it unfortunately causes digestive problems.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 23 February 2021, 22:18

Brenden wrote:Instead of the 200 g of fennel seed extract I ordered from India and have been waiting a month to receive, I've just received 200 g of fenugreek extract.

It smells lovely (like maple syrup), but it can't be more directly opposite what I ordered: fenugreek is known to cause the digestive problems that fennel helps with.

So now I'll have to wait another month before a replacement arrives, but that may be too late.

I’m to assume, with the ominous threat of it perhaps being too late in a months time, that you fear you will soon explode from constipation?
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7968
+1s received: 2858
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 23 February 2021, 22:21

Marmaduke wrote:I’m to assume, with the ominous threat of it perhaps being too late in a months time, that you fear you will soon explode from constipation?

No, lol, I’m not constipated, and it doesn’t treat that.

It treats IBS, bloating, gas, and allows for the consumption of spicy food without consequences, and I’ll run out soon.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8640
+1s received: 3173
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 23 February 2021, 22:24

Ahhhhh, so you’re looking to slow the oncoming tide. I was gonna remark that I didn’t know you had IBS, then I thought that was an odd thing to make conversation about. Perhaps just massively increase your egg intake, I find eggs rather slow the system.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7968
+1s received: 2858
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], erti, Frigid, Raynethemagi, rogonandi and 82 guests