What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 8 May 2022, 22:41

McTaggartfan wrote:
rogonandi wrote:Someone stole my large soda out of the break room fridge. :angry:

Well, I mean thieves do tend to steal. So that much isn't terribly surprising.

The surprise is that one of his colleagues is a thief. It wouldn't be surprising if he knew there was a thief in his midst.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 8 May 2022, 22:50

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
rogonandi wrote:Someone stole my large soda out of the break room fridge. :angry:

Well, I mean thieves do tend to steal. So that much isn't terribly surprising.

The surprise is that one of his colleagues is a thief. It wouldn't be surprising if he knew there was a thief in his midst.


I fail to see how he could be surprised that a thief is in his midst. Many workplaces suffer from such problems, so it's to be expected.

And I realized he didn't know.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 8 May 2022, 23:24

McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
rogonandi wrote:Someone stole my large soda out of the break room fridge. :angry:

Well, I mean thieves do tend to steal. So that much isn't terribly surprising.

The surprise is that one of his colleagues is a thief. It wouldn't be surprising if he knew there was a thief in his midst.

I fail to see how he could be surprised that a thief is in his midst. Many workplaces suffer from such problems, so it's to be expected.

And I realized he didn't know.

The probability of a colleague being a thief increases as the number of colleagues increases, so therefore I'd imagine surprise at thievery to be inversely correlated with size of workplace.

Let's say 1 in 10 people are petty thieves. Then the likelihood of at least 1 colleague being a petty thief follows a geometric distribution with p = 0.1. The average number of colleagues one has before there is a thief in one's midst is 9, and even at 9 colleagues the probability of one of them being a thief is just 69%! You need 6 colleagues before it becomes a coin toss whether any of them are thieves.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9158
+1s received: 3525
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 9 May 2022, 00:53

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
rogonandi wrote:Someone stole my large soda out of the break room fridge. :angry:

Well, I mean thieves do tend to steal. So that much isn't terribly surprising.

The surprise is that one of his colleagues is a thief. It wouldn't be surprising if he knew there was a thief in his midst.

I fail to see how he could be surprised that a thief is in his midst. Many workplaces suffer from such problems, so it's to be expected.

And I realized he didn't know.

The probability of a colleague being a thief increases as the number of colleagues increases, so therefore I'd imagine surprise at thievery to be inversely correlated with size of workplace.

Let's say 1 in 10 people are petty thieves. Then the likelihood of at least 1 colleague being a petty thief follows a geometric distribution with p = 0.1. The average number of colleagues one has before there is a thief in one's midst is 9, and even at 9 colleagues the probability of one of them being a thief is just 69%! You need 6 colleagues before it becomes a coin toss whether any of them are thieves.


Yes, and there are more employees in the hotel than before because the tourist season has started.

Next time I will open up my bottle of Coke Zero and French kiss the opening. Perhaps a little bit of my backwash will discourage future thieves.
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2371
+1s received: 1546
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 9 May 2022, 01:52

Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Brenden wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
rogonandi wrote:Someone stole my large soda out of the break room fridge. :angry:

Well, I mean thieves do tend to steal. So that much isn't terribly surprising.

The surprise is that one of his colleagues is a thief. It wouldn't be surprising if he knew there was a thief in his midst.

I fail to see how he could be surprised that a thief is in his midst. Many workplaces suffer from such problems, so it's to be expected.

And I realized he didn't know.

The probability of a colleague being a thief increases as the number of colleagues increases, so therefore I'd imagine surprise at thievery to be inversely correlated with size of workplace.

Let's say 1 in 10 people are petty thieves. Then the likelihood of at least 1 colleague being a petty thief follows a geometric distribution with p = 0.1. The average number of colleagues one has before there is a thief in one's midst is 9, and even at 9 colleagues the probability of one of them being a thief is just 69%! You need 6 colleagues before it becomes a coin toss whether any of them are thieves.


So it sounds like the probability would be pretty high! I don't know why all that fancy-ness was needed to realize that lol
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 10 May 2022, 20:14

Went to the doctor and found out I got a tinea infection I have to use a cream on. It’s due to a combination of factors like working/sweating more and possibly not washing my laundry with hot enough water. :pfft:
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2371
+1s received: 1546
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 10 May 2022, 22:35

Also we have to do the laundry at the laundromat because all the washing machines are out of order in our building. :rolleyes:
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2371
+1s received: 1546
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 11 May 2022, 15:40

Apparently YouTube's Watch Later list can only hold 5,000 videos. How annoying.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7850
+1s received: 2899
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 11 May 2022, 16:30

My roommates oldest (10 year old), who was born with a cleft lip and palate, is autistic, and had a learning disability of some sort was attack by 6 kids at recesses yesterday because of his disabilities.

He had bruises on his body and on his butt because they pulled his pants down and hit him on the behind. Has scratches on his arm and hit him on the penis. We're pressing charges.
“Don't take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1826
+1s received: 1188
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Severelius » 11 May 2022, 17:30

René wrote:Apparently YouTube's Watch Later list can only hold 5,000 videos. How annoying.

Maybe... watch some videos?
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4964
+1s received: 1328
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 11 May 2022, 18:27

Severelius wrote:
René wrote:Apparently YouTube's Watch Later list can only hold 5,000 videos. How annoying.

Maybe... watch some videos?

I do. And I have the right to watch as many as I want. :pfft:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7850
+1s received: 2899
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 11 May 2022, 18:53

erti wrote:My roommates oldest (10 year old), who was born with a cleft lip and palate, is autistic, and had a learning disability of some sort was attack by 6 kids at recesses yesterday because of his disabilities.

He had bruises on his body and on his butt because they pulled his pants down and hit him on the behind. Has scratches on his arm and hit him on the penis. We're pressing charges.

Hate crime, hopefully. :(
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2371
+1s received: 1546
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 11 May 2022, 18:55

René wrote:
Severelius wrote:
René wrote:Apparently YouTube's Watch Later list can only hold 5,000 videos. How annoying.

Maybe... watch some videos?

I do. And I have the right to watch as many as I want. :pfft:

Maybe you could sort those into playlists such as “watch later 1” and “watch later 2.”
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 2371
+1s received: 1546
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Severelius » 11 May 2022, 19:07

René wrote:
Severelius wrote:
René wrote:Apparently YouTube's Watch Later list can only hold 5,000 videos. How annoying.

Maybe... watch some videos?

I do. And I have the right to watch as many as I want. :pfft:

This has reminded me I need to rip the audio from a bunch of YouTube videos I like watching and store them as audio files on my phone so I can listen to them on the go without needing YouTube constantly open. Ugh, hassle.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4964
+1s received: 1328
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 11 May 2022, 20:52

rogonandi wrote:
erti wrote:My roommates oldest (10 year old), who was born with a cleft lip and palate, is autistic, and had a learning disability of some sort was attack by 6 kids at recesses yesterday because of his disabilities.

He had bruises on his body and on his butt because they pulled his pants down and hit him on the behind. Has scratches on his arm and hit him on the penis. We're pressing charges.

Hate crime, hopefully. :(


Assault according to the police officer. The school isn't going to do anything.
“Don't take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1826
+1s received: 1188
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 May 2022, 17:54

erti wrote:
rogonandi wrote:
erti wrote:My roommates oldest (10 year old), who was born with a cleft lip and palate, is autistic, and had a learning disability of some sort was attack by 6 kids at recesses yesterday because of his disabilities.

He had bruises on his body and on his butt because they pulled his pants down and hit him on the behind. Has scratches on his arm and hit him on the penis. We're pressing charges.

Hate crime, hopefully. :(


Assault according to the police officer. The school isn't going to do anything.

What do you mean “pressing charges”? Against 10 year olds? To do what? Seek prison terms for children?

I mean, I get it, it’s America, everyone needs to go to prison eventually. Sometimes for consecutive life terms. But, like, children hit each other. That’s what they do. They’re tiny pricks. Is it really in the public interest to hold a trial? What is the consequence at stake? Is it proportionate? Isn’t subjecting a person who cannot intellectually grasp the gravity of the situation he’s in, or the severity of the process he’s subject to, inherently traumatising?

I get being angry about a thing. Frown all you need to. But what outcome are you looking for in “pressing charges” against children?
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8564
+1s received: 3277
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 12 May 2022, 19:05

Marmaduke wrote:
erti wrote:
rogonandi wrote:
erti wrote:My roommates oldest (10 year old), who was born with a cleft lip and palate, is autistic, and had a learning disability of some sort was attack by 6 kids at recesses yesterday because of his disabilities.

He had bruises on his body and on his butt because they pulled his pants down and hit him on the behind. Has scratches on his arm and hit him on the penis. We're pressing charges.

Hate crime, hopefully. :(


Assault according to the police officer. The school isn't going to do anything.

What do you mean “pressing charges”? Against 10 year olds? To do what? Seek prison terms for children?

I mean, I get it, it’s America, everyone needs to go to prison eventually. Sometimes for consecutive life terms. But, like, children hit each other. That’s what they do. They’re tiny pricks. Is it really in the public interest to hold a trial? What is the consequence at stake? Is it proportionate? Isn’t subjecting a person who cannot intellectually grasp the9o gravity of the situation he’s in, or the severity of the process he’s subject to, inherently traumatising?

I get being angry about a thing. Frown all you need to. But what outcome are you looking for in “pressing charges” against children?


Juvenile hall. Because talkig to the parents didnt do anything. They told Roommates kid that theyre going to kill him. There was 6 kids attacking him all at once. Told him they're gonna a break his jaw. They all beat on him. We have pictures of the bruises. They bully him because of his disabilities. This isn't just "bullying"... they are the reason my roommates son is scared to going to school. If we don't do something than those 6 kids will do what they did to my roommates son. As a matter of fact they HAVE done it before to another child.
“Don't take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1826
+1s received: 1188
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 12 May 2022, 21:17

Ok, but what have you done? I use the royal ‘you’, because you used the royal ‘we’, but what is it you’ve done? Tell me you’ve done something yourselves rather than constantly shifting the onus onto others despite constantly seeing no positive result.

If I had a 10 year old having these sorts of problems, and the school weren’t resolving it themselves, I’d be there. Every day. I’d be asking to schedule meetings with the school staff and the other parents, I’d be approaching the department of education and social services, I’d be looking into school transfers. I wouldn’t be chasing the ludicrous pipe dream of thinking a group of 10 year olds are going to face criminal convictions and secure detention for being bullies. It does not happen. It will not happen. You’re wasting your time pursuing it. Your priority is not protecting other children, it’s dealing with the situation your child is facing.

What proactively are you doing to resolve the issue? Because this seems like another in a long line of tragic stories about your roommate’s children falling victim of their own parent’s inadequacy and their unsuitable living situation, whilst you try and frame them as nominees for Parents of the Year.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8564
+1s received: 3277
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 12 May 2022, 21:58

Marmaduke wrote:Ok, but what have you done? I use the royal ‘you’, because you used the royal ‘we’, but what is it you’ve done? Tell me you’ve done something yourselves rather than constantly shifting the onus onto others despite constantly seeing no positive result.

If I had a 10 year old having these sorts of problems, and the school weren’t resolving it themselves, I’d be there. Every day. I’d be asking to schedule meetings with the school staff and the other parents, I’d be approaching the department of education and social services, I’d be looking into school transfers. I wouldn’t be chasing the ludicrous pipe dream of thinking a group of 10 year olds are going to face criminal convictions and secure detention for being bullies. It does not happen. It will not happen. You’re wasting your time pursuing it. Your priority is not protecting other children, it’s dealing with the situation your child is facing.

What proactively are you doing to resolve the issue? Because this seems like another in a long line of tragic stories about your roommate’s children falling victim of their own parent’s inadequacy and their unsuitable living situation, whilst you try and frame them as nominees for Parents of the Year.


The kids will be going to a different school and in no way I think my roommates are prefect parents. They went to the school. They talked to cops. It's not like we went straight to the cops. They've talked to their parents.
“Don't take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 1826
+1s received: 1188
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 13 May 2022, 07:49

I think I got a red pepper flake in my eye and it isn't particularly pleasurable.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 784
+1s received: 247
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Mojeek [Bot], rogonandi, StraightGuy95, Yandex [Bot] and 89 guests