What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 12 July 2022, 01:50

I’ve had Covid for several days now. First time, and definitely symptomatic. :(
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9980
+1s received: 2778
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 12 July 2022, 02:33

poolerboy0077 wrote:I’ve had Covid for several days now. First time, and definitely symptomatic. :(


Are you doing okay? What sorts of symptoms?
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 13 July 2022, 04:56

McTaggartfan wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:I’ve had Covid for several days now. First time, and definitely symptomatic. :(


Are you doing okay? What sorts of symptoms?

Now I am. I still have nasal congestion, (mild) sore throat and the occasional cough, but days ago I had chills, body aches, chest pressure and a headache.

Oh and this morning I noticed my tastebuds are affected a bit. Like I can still taste stuff but everything seems mild. I’m so over it. :pfft:
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9980
+1s received: 2778
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 13 July 2022, 06:42

poolerboy0077 wrote:Now I am. I still have nasal congestion, (mild) sore throat and the occasional cough, but days ago I had chills, body aches, chest pressure and a headache.

Oh and this morning I noticed my tastebuds are affected a bit. Like I can still taste stuff but everything seems mild. I’m so over it. :pfft:


Ah well, to be honest, I'm pretty much just relieved in hearing this. I knew it couldn't be that bad, since you were obviously well enough to post on the forum, but you know, anxiety disorder and all that...

I'd much rather have you "so over it" and unable to taste things, than have you bedridden or what's worse, in the hospital. Hopefully the problem with your sense of taste will resolve itself sooner or later.

Damn, I've given away the great secret that I care as to your well-being. Oh well, I suppose there's no helping it!

Out of sheer curiosity, by the way, have your tried eating anything spicy? Is your sense of a food's heat or pungency affected, or is it strictly restricted to your more gustatory sensations? Just the ever present, though oft silent, philosopher of mind in me rearing his ugly head in an indulgent display of curiosity...
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 13 July 2022, 10:40

I've just sent an email to my advisor, in which I apologized for being more than a little curt in a few emails I exchanged with him a couple weeks ago. I'm really, really worried, nervous, and perhaps even scared in thinking of his possible response, or worse yet, a lack of any response. A part of me feels as though I'm not even deserving of a response from him at this point, and anything I do receive, no matter what it says, will be a miracle. Maybe I'm just blowing things way out of proportion in my anxious imagination—I sure hope so. Man, I fucked up hugely here.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby colby100 » 17 July 2022, 21:47

I've been dealing with depression the past few weeks. I missed out on a lot of things that I wanted to be a part of. Usually, I'm pretty good at making it through without missing out on things but this time, I couldn't get myself to leave my apartment. I think I'm doing better now.
colby100
 
Posts: 66
+1s received: 34
Joined: 16 March 2022, 01:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 18 July 2022, 00:08

poolerboy0077 wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:I’ve had Covid for several days now. First time, and definitely symptomatic. :(


Are you doing okay? What sorts of symptoms?

Now I am. I still have nasal congestion, (mild) sore throat and the occasional cough, but days ago I had chills, body aches, chest pressure and a headache.

Oh and this morning I noticed my tastebuds are affected a bit. Like I can still taste stuff but everything seems mild. I’m so over it. :pfft:

Hope you've been taking LOTS of vitamin C throughout the day (a couple 1,000 mg tablets with food) and extra zinc (3-5x the RDV).
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9167
+1s received: 3548
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 18 July 2022, 00:28

poolerboy0077 wrote:I’ve had Covid for several days now. First time, and definitely symptomatic. :(

Aww, sorry to hear :( :hug:
I hope you're feeling better by now!

colby100 wrote:I've been dealing with depression the past few weeks. I missed out on a lot of things that I wanted to be a part of. Usually, I'm pretty good at making it through without missing out on things but this time, I couldn't get myself to leave my apartment. I think I'm doing better now.

:hug: Glad you're not feeling so bad anymore!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7945
+1s received: 2954
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 19 July 2022, 16:12

This heat wave. It's not supposed to be 31 degrees in Scotland, let alone 2 days in a row :runaway:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7945
+1s received: 2954
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Bluefish » 19 July 2022, 16:38

I seem to have an inability to flirt with people
User avatar
Bluefish
 
Posts: 53
+1s received: 38
Joined: 15 March 2022, 02:59
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 19 July 2022, 18:02

René wrote:This heat wave. It's not supposed to be 31 degrees in Scotland, let alone 2 days in a row :runaway:

It was 30 degrees in London at 10pm last night! It’s 7pm now and it’s still 37!
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8610
+1s received: 3316
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 19 July 2022, 21:35

René wrote:This heat wave. It's not supposed to be 31 degrees in Scotland, let alone 2 days in a row :runaway:


Mary was telling me about this earlier when we went to pick up meds for the dog. Sounds unpleasant, to say the least. Also why don't people in the UK have air-conditioning or fans? I think I'd die without both of those.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 19 July 2022, 21:36

Bluefish wrote:I seem to have an inability to flirt with people


Join the club lol
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Bluefish » 19 July 2022, 21:56

McTaggartfan wrote:Join the club lol


Good to know I'm not alone :P
User avatar
Bluefish
 
Posts: 53
+1s received: 38
Joined: 15 March 2022, 02:59
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 20 July 2022, 10:13

McTaggartfan wrote:
René wrote:This heat wave. It's not supposed to be 31 degrees in Scotland, let alone 2 days in a row :runaway:

Mary was telling me about this earlier when we went to pick up meds for the dog. Sounds unpleasant, to say the least. Also why don't people in the UK have air-conditioning or fans? I think I'd die without both of those.

Because it's rarely this hot. :P

You have to realise we're at the latitude of southern Alaska, the southern extent of the Hudson Bay and southern Siberia. The only reason it's not incredibly cold all year long is the Gulf Stream, but regardless, average temperatures in e.g. central England range from roughly 5 °C (41 °F) in Dec-Feb to 17 °C (63 °F) in Jul-Aug.

British houses are built to keep warmth in, not to get rid of it, since that's typically not what you want. Air conditioning wouldn't get enough use to justify it for most people. Ceiling fans would be useful but haven't caught on. Most people have some standalone tower fans, desk fans and/or circulator fans, though.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7945
+1s received: 2954
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Severelius » 20 July 2022, 10:32

The Farnborough Air Show happening, with planes flying around right over my head, and the accompanying insane volume of loud traffic happening beneath me.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4984
+1s received: 1338
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 21 July 2022, 04:11

René wrote:Because it's rarely this hot. :P

You have to realise we're at the latitude of southern Alaska, the southern extent of the Hudson Bay and southern Siberia. The only reason it's not incredibly cold all year long is the Gulf Stream, but regardless, average temperatures in e.g. central England range from roughly 5 °C (41 °F) in Dec-Feb to 17 °C (63 °F) in Jul-Aug.

British houses are built to keep warmth in, not to get rid of it, since that's typically not what you want. Air conditioning wouldn't get enough use to justify it for most people. Ceiling fans would be useful but haven't caught on. Most people have some standalone tower fans, desk fans and/or circulator fans, though.

For the record, I was already aware of how cold and warm it usually gets in the UK, and especially in your part of the UK. I mean, I really haven't the slightest excuse not to be aware, Rene. After all—though perhaps you've forgotten this—, when I find myself looking at the weather forecasts for my area, I do sometimes happen to check up on yours, too!

I guess I wasn't so much expressing in my post a genuine question as to why people in the UK tend to lack central AC, but was instead almost posing something of a rhetorical question, proffered in jest and in a feeble attempt to feign an exaggerated sense of astonishment. I didn't express that fact very well in my writing, obviously. I was tired and generally apathetic about things when I wrote my post, which probably had quite a bit to do with the result.

Also, I do seem to recall having once had a conversation over the phone with Brenden about the UK's general lack of ceiling fans. So I did know that part too, even if it was rather tucked away in the deep storage of my memory.

Anyway, thanks for thinking to explain things to little old me. Your trying to help my understanding was admirable and I appreciate it. :heart:

If the heat thing is still going on for you by the way, then let me say that if it's any consolation, it's going to be in the mid-to-high 90s the rest of the week here. Perhaps you knew that already, I suppose—that is, if you guys sometimes check on Shawn's weather forecast.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 21 July 2022, 04:26

Marmaduke wrote:
René wrote:This heat wave. It's not supposed to be 31 degrees in Scotland, let alone 2 days in a row :runaway:

It was 30 degrees in London at 10pm last night! It’s 7pm now and it’s still 37!

Yeah, in my opinion that does seem just a bit excessive on Nature's part. Perhaps she doesn't like you British folks?

Still, I feel I must assume here that, even if Nature doesn't like the British overall or in general, she's nonetheless quite fond of the Queen, the monarchy, etc. Because, in all honesty, what sane person could feel anything about these aside from a certain degree of tenderness and nostalgic affection?
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 976
+1s received: 300
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 21 July 2022, 10:51

McTaggartfan wrote:For the record, I was already aware of how cold and warm it usually gets in the UK, and especially in your part of the UK. I mean, I really haven't the slightest excuse not to be aware, Rene. After all—though perhaps you've forgotten this—, when I find myself looking at the weather forecasts for my area, I do sometimes happen to check up on yours, too!

I guess I wasn't so much expressing in my post a genuine question as to why people in the UK tend to lack central AC, but was instead almost posing something of a rhetorical question, proffered in jest and in a feeble attempt to feign an exaggerated sense of astonishment. I didn't express that fact very well in my writing, obviously. I was tired and generally apathetic about things when I wrote my post, which probably had quite a bit to do with the result.

Also, I do seem to recall having once had a conversation over the phone with Brenden about the UK's general lack of ceiling fans. So I did know that part too, even if it was rather tucked away in the deep storage of my memory.

Anyway, thanks for thinking to explain things to little old me. Your trying to help my understanding was admirable and I appreciate it. :heart:

I see :P :D

McTaggartfan wrote:If the heat thing is still going on for you by the way, then let me say that if it's any consolation, it's going to be in the mid-to-high 90s the rest of the week here. Perhaps you knew that already, I suppose—that is, if you guys sometimes check on Shawn's weather forecast.

It's gone now, all back to normal. But yes, I actually have his time and weather on my phone's home screen rather than my own; feels a little closer that way. :3
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 7945
+1s received: 2954
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland / Maryland, USA
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby anshrana » 22 July 2022, 10:16

My phone
anshrana
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 6 July 2021, 12:03

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Arjun_Thakur, CommonCrawl [Bot], poolerboy0077, Seznam [Bot] and 79 guests