What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 1 December 2018, 01:46

Not rape vibes. Gropey vibes. Egotistical with an air of "you can't tell me what behavior is appropriate or inappropriate."
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 4965
+1s received: 1274
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 December 2018, 01:58

Nah, i honestly never got that vibe either, that said, i only ever saw him in documentaries and the like, i guess he isn't as big a name over here as he might be in the states. But i stand by my point.

You approach a celebrity, asking for a photo at and after party event, people are drinking and the guy take perhaps a little too much interest in the ladies tattoo, honestly, that's something id find fun and amusing in her place, but then, I'm comfortable and cofident enough enough to say, excuse me, take you hands off me, if someone is going further than I'm comfortable with.
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2257
+1s received: 1774
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Jzone » 1 December 2018, 02:05

PopTart wrote:No, he never gave me rape vibes.

But that won't matter, because now he'll be convicted in the court or public opinion and the imminent backlash will make getting to the truth of the matter both impossible and pointless.

Exactly. A public accusation is all it takes. Most people don't have patience for the truth (which is rarely as simple as good/evil). I doubt Tyson will even respond. He has had friends and colleagues taken down by similar accusations. I expect he will simply vanish from the public sphere.
Just an everyday boy Image doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 615
+1s received: 773
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 December 2018, 02:36

Jzone wrote:
PopTart wrote:No, he never gave me rape vibes.

But that won't matter, because now he'll be convicted in the court or public opinion and the imminent backlash will make getting to the truth of the matter both impossible and pointless.

Exactly. A public accusation is all it takes. Most people don't have patience for the truth (which is rarely as simple as good/evil). I doubt Tyson will even respond. He has had friends and colleagues taken down by similar accusations. I expect he will simply vanish from the public sphere.

Precisely. It does a massive disservice to real justice, it does the same to victims of real abuse and it leaves people everywhere, afraid to behave in anyway that might be misconstrued or taken offensively.
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2257
+1s received: 1774
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby acpro » 1 December 2018, 03:10

Well I don't know anything about this incident but I know Neil DeGrasse is an arrogant, arrogant-face There are memes about his arrogance. He really hurt my feelings and a lot of other peoples.
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2035
+1s received: 279
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 1 December 2018, 03:13

PopTart wrote:
Jzone wrote:
PopTart wrote:No, he never gave me rape vibes.

But that won't matter, because now he'll be convicted in the court or public opinion and the imminent backlash will make getting to the truth of the matter both impossible and pointless.

Exactly. A public accusation is all it takes. Most people don't have patience for the truth (which is rarely as simple as good/evil). I doubt Tyson will even respond. He has had friends and colleagues taken down by similar accusations. I expect he will simply vanish from the public sphere.

Precisely. It does a massive disservice to real justice, it does the same to victims of real abuse and it leaves people everywhere, afraid to behave in anyway that might be misconstrued or taken offensively.

Is it the women's fault for interpreting these incidents as a form of assault or is it their fault for speaking out about them?
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 4965
+1s received: 1274
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Jzone » 1 December 2018, 03:26

Derek wrote:
PopTart wrote:
Jzone wrote:
PopTart wrote:No, he never gave me rape vibes.

But that won't matter, because now he'll be convicted in the court or public opinion and the imminent backlash will make getting to the truth of the matter both impossible and pointless.

Exactly. A public accusation is all it takes. Most people don't have patience for the truth (which is rarely as simple as good/evil). I doubt Tyson will even respond. He has had friends and colleagues taken down by similar accusations. I expect he will simply vanish from the public sphere.

Precisely. It does a massive disservice to real justice, it does the same to victims of real abuse and it leaves people everywhere, afraid to behave in anyway that might be misconstrued or taken offensively.

Is it the women's fault for interpreting these incidents as a form of assault or is it their fault for speaking out about them?

There is no way for us to determine fault at this point. Everyone involved may have been drunk, excited, and flirty. I'm not defending Tyson. I just feel sad that the accusation is all it takes to ruin a career. Perhaps we all need to follow the example of our U.S. president, and behave so far below social standards that any accusation of wrongdoing is irrelevant.
Just an everyday boy Image doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 615
+1s received: 773
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 1 December 2018, 03:43

I can't say I'm all that bothered. Don't act creepy and people won't have a chance to overreact, if they are indeed overreacting. The court of public opinion only has the power to take away what it gave in the first place.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 4965
+1s received: 1274
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby BlackBoi666 » 1 December 2018, 06:39

sleeping alone
User avatar
BlackBoi666
 
Posts: 80
+1s received: 23
Joined: 15 November 2018, 04:34
Location: Mississippi
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 1 December 2018, 09:33

Husband lied to me about going to the bank to deposit money for the rent. He did have the money on him so I put more from my account into his online and pocketed the physical money from him so I didn’t ‘lose’ the money I had.

Ugh, I hate it when people lie to me. I’m not nearly as stupid as I appear, people. :facepalm2:
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1019
+1s received: 617
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 December 2018, 13:43

Derek wrote:I can't say I'm all that bothered. Don't act creepy and people won't have a chance to overreact, if they are indeed overreacting. The court of public opinion only has the power to take away what it gave in the first place.

The court of public opinion is the real problem. There has been a massive resurgence in what can only be considered Mob mentality in the last decade and it's getting worse.

We sometimes forget, that many of the liberties and freedoms we enjoy as a community are at the will of the "court of public opinion"

That opinion, turns on a knifes edge. Right now, the moral outrage and prevailing opinions are of a more liberal bent, but it doesn't take much for it to flip sides and suddenly, mob mentality, doesn't look so pretty or beneficial for us.
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2257
+1s received: 1774
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Eryx » 1 December 2018, 15:21

Today I took the driver's test to finally get my license. But here in Brazil it's a fucking nightmare. You first have to parallel park (they give you five minutes, you can't touch any cones, you have to park parallel to the sidewalk) which I did. Then you get on the road. You have to make exaggerated motions to show them you're actually looking at the mirrors and do things no one really does. Also without making any mistakes. Which I did.

Then right at the end, all I had to do was stop at a Stop sign, turn left and park the car.

I didn't see the fucking Stop sign because of a god damned tree in front of it and I lost my whole test. Now I have to pay another R$ 150 fee and at least a couple classes (R$ 110) to try again and go through the fucking stress and agony that is this fucking test.

I'm so pissed at myself right now. It's been a long time since I haven't been able to deal properly with my feelings like what's happening right now. I felt like crying at least a couple times, I can't look at my sister or my family and I get incredibly angry when they start asking what happened and saying empty shit like "You'll make it next time." Yeah I know I'll fucking make it, out of anger and frustration, but whatever you're saying doesn't really help. Fuck.

Also my sister is a fucking perfect princess and everything goes right in her life, including passing on her first attempt and getting a new job and basically every single aspect of her life, meanwhile here I am, not sure if my college entrance test will be accepted due to a technicality and having to take this fucking test from hell all over again.

Today is a bad day for me. I'd shoot something if I was American.
Image

Image. Image
User avatar
Eryx
 
Posts: 1072
+1s received: 243
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:48
Location: Belo Horizonte, MG
Country: Brazil (br)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 December 2018, 15:44

Eryx wrote:Today I took the driver's test to finally get my license. But here in Brazil it's a fucking nightmare. You first have to parallel park (they give you five minutes, you can't touch any cones, you have to park parallel to the sidewalk) which I did. Then you get on the road. You have to make exaggerated motions to show them you're actually looking at the mirrors and do things no one really does. Also without making any mistakes. Which I did.

I hated the whole exaggerated mirror checks thing, I was doing it out of the corner of my too, because, you know, thats how people drive! The only time I do otherwise is checking my blind spots and shit. Hate that you have to be seen to be looking like that.

Eryx wrote:Then right at the end, all I had to do was stop at a Stop sign, turn left and park the car.

I didn't see the fucking Stop sign because of a god damned tree in front of it and I lost my whole test. Now I have to pay another R$ 150 fee and at least a couple classes (R$ 110) to try again and go through the fucking stress and agony that is this fucking test.

I was the same on my first test, well, kinda. Did all the stuff perfectly, the examiner was a real moody, cold fish. He so didn't want to be at work that day. Traffic was horrendous, it was raining so hard, I could barely see, it was autumn and all the leaves where in the road and around the curb, which is when, he directs me down this side street. It's a pretty steep hill, with a side turning, he then proceeds to tel me I have to perform a reverse around a corner :wide-eyed: Here, you have to reverse around the corner, not clip the curb and come to a parked stop position about a car length inside the junction.

It's raining hard, I can't even see the curb for the mound of soggy orange leaves around the edge of the road and I'm rolling, backward, down a steep incline, with heavy traffic (for a side street) with this stony faced douche bag sat next to me with his clipboard and air of annoyance.

Suffice to say, I clipped the curb and it was all over. What was worse, was that I knew it was over, I watched him mark the fail check box next to me right there. yet still had another ten minutes of exam left, that felt utterly and horribly pointless. All I wanted to do was cry. :cry:

Eryx wrote:I'm so pissed at myself right now. It's been a long time since I haven't been able to deal properly with my feelings like what's happening right now. I felt like crying at least a couple times, I can't look at my sister or my family and I get incredibly angry when they start asking what happened and saying empty shit like "You'll make it next time." Yeah I know I'll fucking make it, out of anger and frustration, but whatever you're saying doesn't really help. Fuck.

Also my sister is a fucking perfect princess and everything goes right in her life, including passing on her first attempt and getting a new job and basically every single aspect of her life, meanwhile here I am, not sure if my college entrance test will be accepted due to a technicality and having to take this fucking test from hell all over again.

Today is a bad day for me. I'd shoot something if I was American.

They mean well, but it can come across as inane and empty platitudes. Don't get discouraged Eryx. It's alright to feel pissed and disappointed. :hug:
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2257
+1s received: 1774
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 1 December 2018, 16:33

Imagine if they made people who have been driving for years (have bad habits totally ingrained at that point) re-take the drives test. I would fail so miserably.

I fully support a persons right to do the "California rolling stop"!

I hope you can cheer up a bit over this Eryx.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3246
+1s received: 1455
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Satsuma » 1 December 2018, 18:12

It hurts when people I thought of as friends suddenly more-or-less ghost me and don't tell me anything about the reason why. It's like they have zero respect for my feelings. I've tried to make peace and that offer still stands, but if they don't give a damn about my feelings then I don't give a damn about theirs.

That feels so good to type by the way :P

Never let anyone take advantage of your friendliness. You can only do so much, the rest is in their hands.
Formerly Zoop C=^-^=
User avatar
Satsuma
 
Posts: 385
+1s received: 476
Joined: 19 September 2018, 22:57
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 December 2018, 18:40

Zoop wrote:It hurts when people I thought of as friends suddenly more-or-less ghost me and don't tell me anything about the reason why. It's like they have zero respect for my feelings. I've tried to make peace and that offer still stands, but if they don't give a damn about my feelings then I don't give a damn about theirs.

That feels so good to type by the way :P

Never let anyone take advantage of your friendliness. You can only do so much, the rest is in their hands.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2257
+1s received: 1774
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 2 December 2018, 02:30

I’m breaking in my new work shoes and my feet are killing me. :pfft:
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1019
+1s received: 617
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Felice » 2 December 2018, 04:57

Zoop wrote:It hurts when people I thought of as friends suddenly more-or-less ghost me and don't tell me anything about the reason why. It's like they have zero respect for my feelings. I've tried to make peace and that offer still stands, but if they don't give a damn about my feelings then I don't give a damn about theirs.

That feels so good to type by the way :P

Never let anyone take advantage of your friendliness. You can only do so much, the rest is in their hands.


Story of my life ! .
Splashy you are amazing and nice, it's their loss really .
User avatar
Felice
 
Posts: 317
+1s received: 344
Joined: 13 September 2018, 20:01

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Eryx » 2 December 2018, 13:05

PopTart wrote:[...] Traffic was horrendous, it was raining so hard [...]
Ugh, it was raining on mine too! I'm going to take it again soon and just go through the motions. Yesterday I was just so annoyed. It happens, I know. Thanks for the encouragement!
mxguy01 wrote:Imagine if they made people who have been driving for years (have bad habits totally ingrained at that point) re-take the drives test. I would fail so miserably.

I fully support a persons right to do the "California rolling stop"!

I hope you can cheer up a bit over this Eryx.
Thanks bud. Yeah, during the classes I had to deal with some really bad drivers. I suspect there's a whole category of Brazilians who just get used cars and never really get licenses, because that could be the only explanation. hahaha
Zoop wrote:[...] Never let anyone take advantage of your friendliness. You can only do so much, the rest is in their hands.
Yeah, most of it is out of our control. We just have to learn when to say "Fuck off."
Image

Image. Image
User avatar
Eryx
 
Posts: 1072
+1s received: 243
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:48
Location: Belo Horizonte, MG
Country: Brazil (br)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Satsuma » 2 December 2018, 13:54

Eryx wrote:Yeah, most of it is out of our control. We just have to learn when to say "Fuck off."


:hug:
Formerly Zoop C=^-^=
User avatar
Satsuma
 
Posts: 385
+1s received: 476
Joined: 19 September 2018, 22:57
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Adrian, Baidu [Spider], Brenden, CommonCrawl [Bot], erti, Google [Bot], HardRockSteph, rogonandi, Satsuma, Severelius, Sogou [Spider] and 64 guests