What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 July 2019, 20:30

I had an unexpected lobectomy today :cry:

I'm trying to be positive and reassure those around me, who have shown concern and worry for me, but I really have no idea how to feel about it.

It doesnt help I'm being heavily medicated with fentanyl, which I've heard bad things about. I'm beyond tired but cant sleep.

I honestly just want to go home, to my own bed and pretend none of this ever happened!

I'm totally for burying my head in the sand right now :applause:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Brenden » 1 July 2019, 20:48

Oh no, that sounds terrible! :hug:

What did they have to remove?
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 6840
+1s received: 1700
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 1 July 2019, 20:52

Sorry to hear PopTart, I hope you get to feeling better here soon. I'll be thinking about ya. :hug:
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 580
+1s received: 448
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 July 2019, 20:55

rogonandi wrote:
Iamjava wrote:it doesnt seem you are frowning.


The tongue emoticon is a bit smilier than most. I would prefer him not to lose his job, because that sucks and he’s not a bad guy outside of his work issues.

Anyway the thing I am frowning about now is that my husband is sick with a lung infection, ironically contracted at the doctor’s office last week. :facepalm2:

Just saw this, reading the thread backwards :P

Hope your hubby is doing okay Nandi, yourself too.

I can empathise, I was in an isolated ward room at the hospital three days ago, when my day nurse came to introduce herself at the start or her shift.
Her name was Ronke, she was this amazing, voluptuous and outgoing type withan infectious laugh. I loved her instantly, right upto the moment she told me she had the flu :wide-eyed:

Turns out her laugh could be infectious both figuratively and literally, my enthusiasm for her changed on the spot, it must have showed, I think I recoiled abit.

In my defence, this was an isolated respiratory ward, what nurse in their right mind, goes to work with something like the flu, with people with already existent chest conditions! Madness.

Everytime I saw here coming towards my room, I shuffled into the toilet and locked myself in, calling through the door that I was taking a huge dump and to come back later... I managed to avoid her most of the time.

Terrible when one of the places you go to get well, wind up making you more I'll! It kinda stings that little bit more.

I really hope he is on the mend.

:hug:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 July 2019, 20:59

Brenden wrote:Oh no, that sounds terrible! :hug:

What did they have to remove?

They removed the upper third of my right lung, I'm told it shouldnt have too.much impact on my quality of life, but I'm strange, I feel like someone has stolen some vital part of my, before now, fully intact self. I've had pneumothraces before, but other than that, nothing has ever had to be cut out of me before :D

Well, except my foreskin, but that wasnt cut out of me and I was too young to m9ss it!

I just feel weird about it. I'm gutted, literally :lol: (bit of a stretch, bit couldnt pass that one up. I'm gonna have to find some lung jokes)
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 July 2019, 21:01

erti wrote:Sorry to hear PopTart, I hope you get to feeling better here soon. I'll be thinking about ya. :hug:

Thanks Erti! Your a sweetheart :hug: :thumbsup:

Sorry about triple post, morphine has addled my mind... further :awesome:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 1 July 2019, 21:02

In my drugged fuelled stupor, I quoted myself.
Last edited by PopTart on 2 July 2019, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 1 July 2019, 21:12

Jeez, you’ve had a really shitty few days man. I’m sorry. I feel your pain on the hospital front, I’ve spent way more nights over way more years than I really care to remember. At least you seem to get along with morphine, it always used to make me so nauseous that pretty much the first thing I do when I wake up is asked to be taken off of it. Nights never really get any easier on the sleep front though, there’s always too much going on and too many people trying to be deliberately quiet and making themselves all the more conspicuous for it.

I hope your back home sooner rather than later. It sounds like you’ve got plenty of people around, but let me know if you need anything. I can’t think of a London-or-surrounding hospital I couldn’t arrange a delivery to if I needed to.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6283
+1s received: 1208
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby PopTart » 2 July 2019, 04:41

;) Your totally right about the activity. Even at night and the conspicuous attempts at silence, so very true.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm lucky with morphine, no real side effects, although I prefer codeine as a pain relief drug, it just doesnt come on tap!

I was spoiled on the sleep front, I was transfered to Guys hospital, (technically a good hospital but it is it crowded) but I start in Maidstone hospital, in one of the new wings, I was moved to a side room, loads of space, light and air, all on my own for 8days! All with sleeping pills thrown into the mix.

Guys is much different!

Your a real angel Marmaduke, you gonna deliver yourself!?
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2580
+1s received: 2155
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 3 July 2019, 01:21

^^yeah codeine has a terrible histimine reaction when introduced into the blood stream. But every opiate becomes morphine in the body so hope your feeling good.

Just an update on my dad. He seen his cancer doctor today and they said they want to give him a month off of the chemo so he can rebuild his immune system. And from what my mom said is they will reassess his treatment then.

I have very little faith that there gonna resume the chemo. And i dont really blame them. He's had 2 hospital stays in the past month. at some point you have to include the quality of life into the equation. And his quality of life hasnt been good for awhile. He hasnt eaten in years. And now the doctors are telling him he cant drink either.

Just this morning he called me before work asking for a coffee. I said i was gonna get it but didn't. I called and lied and said .i got stuck behind a garbage truck. I know he knew i lied. But i also know the want to have a cup of coffee in the morning. Its a very fine line.

But he did live a very great and fulfilling life.

Idk. So many thoughts right now. But it doesn't seem good.

Im stuck in a hard place as his kid because i really wanted to get him his coffee. But I know it will hurt him. But who am i to tell him?
Formerly Victor_Lazslo
"We are stardust, we are golden." Joni Mitchell

"Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been."_____ the grateful dead.

Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3286
+1s received: 2116
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 3 July 2019, 01:41

Victor_Laszlo wrote:^^yeah codeine has a terrible histimine reaction when introduced into the blood stream. But every opiate becomes morphine in the body so hope your feeling good.

Just an update on my dad. He seen his cancer doctor today and they said they want to give him a month off of the chemo so he can rebuild his immune system. And from what my mom said is they will reassess his treatment then.

I have very little faith that there gonna resume the chemo. And i dont really blame them. He's had 2 hospital stays in the past month. at some point you have to include the quality of life into the equation. And his quality of life hasnt been good for awhile. He hasnt eaten in years. And now the doctors are telling him he cant drink either.

Just this morning he called me before work asking for a coffee. I said i was gonna get it but didn't. I called and lied and said .i got stuck behind a garbage truck. I know he knew i lied. But i also know the want to have a cup of coffee in the morning. Its a very fine line.

But he did live a very great and fulfilling life.

Idk. So many thoughts right now. But it doesn't seem good.

Im stuck in a hard place as his kid because i really wanted to get him his coffee. But I know it will hurt him. But who am i to tell him?


Was he given a life expectancy? It's hard to want to give something your father wants really bad only to put a damper on his health. Surely in is last days I assume a coffee would be ok. But it's hard to say what quality of life he has when he can't enjoy something he once love. I mean I wouldn't give it to him if it hurt him immediately and he needed to go to the hospital. however, if he's dying anyways might as well make him happy for his last days. It's hard thing to think about really. I'm probably not saying anything new. Sorry you're in a position like this with wanting to make him happy in risk of his health. :hug:
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 580
+1s received: 448
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 3 July 2019, 02:17

Thanks erti and everyone that has responded to this situatuon.
Nah no life expectancy. But my mom has a way with doctor's and they will tell her what she wants to hear. She also has a way of saying what she wants people to know.

So its always hard to judge. But he's had throat cancer 3 times now and now has lung cancer which moves it to stage 4. But he has 8 tumors in his lungs. Most seem to be getting smaller with the chemo but some are growing. It's hard for me to say because i can't join him on his appointments and my mom has very selective hearing. But even she seems to be on the negative side. Which to me seems bad because she will always take the smallest amount of "faith" and tell everyone god will help.
They've been married now for 49 years.
They raised 3 of my mom's sibilings. And then had there first kid when my mom was 27. I couldn't have asked for better parents. (Besides my mom being extremely religious)


I know a few appointments ago the doctor's said they just want to give him as much time as they can
His twin brother died about 4 years ago from stomach cancer. Cancer is very prevalent in both my mom's and dad's side.
Both my grandpa's died from cancer as well as one of my grandma'ss
Formerly Victor_Lazslo
"We are stardust, we are golden." Joni Mitchell

"Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been."_____ the grateful dead.

Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3286
+1s received: 2116
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby erti » 3 July 2019, 07:38

I hope you don't end up the same fate as your grandfathers and grandmother. It's scary. The only health thing I probably have to would be Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) because my maternal grandmother and two of my maternal uncles die from it before they even turned 60 years old. I think my mom's been tested for it and came back clean so it's likely I'll be the same. Not sure how PKD and genetics work. Who knows, you may of gotten the good genes and not get cancer but it doesn't hurt to get yourself check just in case.
User avatar
erti
 
Posts: 580
+1s received: 448
Joined: 30 November 2018, 09:58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Pigeon Valley » 3 July 2019, 07:59

I'm so sorry to hear about that, Lazslo. I really do hope for a recovery. You have all of us here to talk to if you need it.
Pigeon Valley
 
Posts: 23
+1s received: 9
Joined: 1 July 2019, 21:46
Location: Central Queensland
Country: Australia (au)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Catatonic » 3 July 2019, 11:26

I’m not dead yet.
Broken.
Rise above.
User avatar
Catatonic
 
Posts: 522
+1s received: 10
Joined: 29 December 2012, 02:55
Location: Underground.
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 4 July 2019, 02:02

Catatonic wrote:I’m not dead yet.

Its always nice to wake up and know your not dead. :)

Hope you stick around. We need some of you old school members.
Formerly Victor_Lazslo
"We are stardust, we are golden." Joni Mitchell

"Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been."_____ the grateful dead.

Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3286
+1s received: 2116
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby rogonandi » 4 July 2019, 07:32

PopTart wrote:Hope your hubby is doing okay Nandi, yourself too.

I can empathise, I was in an isolated ward room at the hospital three days ago, when my day nurse came to introduce herself at the start or her shift.
Her name was Ronke, she was this amazing, voluptuous and outgoing type withan infectious laugh. I loved her instantly, right upto the moment she told me she had the flu :wide-eyed:

Turns out her laugh could be infectious both figuratively and literally, my enthusiasm for her changed on the spot, it must have showed, I think I recoiled abit.

In my defence, this was an isolated respiratory ward, what nurse in their right mind, goes to work with something like the flu, with people with already existent chest conditions! Madness.

Everytime I saw here coming towards my room, I shuffled into the toilet and locked myself in, calling through the door that I was taking a huge dump and to come back later... I managed to avoid her most of the time.

Terrible when one of the places you go to get well, wind up making you more I'll! It kinda stings that little bit more.

I really hope he is on the mend.

:hug:


He’s pretty much okay now, it’s not like they had to remove a chunk of his lung. I’m very sorry about what happened to you. :wide-eyed:
People love to follow fools; they don't feel so alone then.

Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1368
+1s received: 873
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Catatonic » 4 July 2019, 09:53

Victor_Laszlo wrote:
Catatonic wrote:I’m not dead yet.

Its always nice to wake up and know your not dead. :)

Hope you stick around. We need some of you old school members.

*you're.
Broken.
Rise above.
User avatar
Catatonic
 
Posts: 522
+1s received: 10
Joined: 29 December 2012, 02:55
Location: Underground.
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Iamjava » 4 July 2019, 17:51

Fucking had no sleep last night, get to work in a hot kitchen with a fucking heat advisory on a stupid busy day and my head feels like shit. So why not just throw in breaking up a 2.5 year engagement? Fuck it all to hell.
Iamjava
 
Posts: 793
+1s received: 130
Joined: 27 May 2019, 21:42

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 7 July 2019, 07:32

“These look to be about your size, Joseph”

“And fuck you too, Mr Radiographer”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6283
+1s received: 1208
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot] and 911 guests