What put a frown on your face today?

Talk about anything and everything.

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 31 January 2020, 00:26

As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:
Please remember to cast your votes for the 2019 GFO awardspost206393/#p206393
You'll even get this shiny badge. ;)

Image
Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3481
+1s received: 2231
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 31 January 2020, 00:41

Capt._Trips wrote:As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:

That's awful. I complain about my job even though I'm watching youtube cooking channels on my second monitor most of the time.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5757
+1s received: 1821
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 31 January 2020, 01:29

Derek wrote:
Capt._Trips wrote:As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:

That's awful. I complain about my job even though I'm watching youtube cooking channels on my second monitor most of the time.

What are your top three?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8325
+1s received: 1927
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Jzone » 31 January 2020, 01:55

Capt._Trips wrote:But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:


Damn! That's draconian. As an employer I can understand the frustration of watching employees spend about one of every ten minutes fussing with their audio gear. Maybe you and your coworkers will have to do what our forebears did and start singing together on the job.


Just an everyday boy — doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 997
+1s received: 1181
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 31 January 2020, 02:30

I was thinking more

I went and told the guy that told me they said no radios. And he looked at me like i was crazy. I told him nah theres a sign up saying no music after Monday of next week permanently. Im sure we'll adjust and more guys are gonna move to stealth earphones but this is gonna bring down production for a few weeks at least.
:finger:
I didn't even care what music BUT no music is gonna be interesting
Please remember to cast your votes for the 2019 GFO awardspost206393/#p206393
You'll even get this shiny badge. ;)

Image
Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3481
+1s received: 2231
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 31 January 2020, 02:53

poolerboy0077 wrote:
Derek wrote:
Capt._Trips wrote:As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:

That's awful. I complain about my job even though I'm watching youtube cooking channels on my second monitor most of the time.

What are your top three?

I feel like answering would just open me up to criticism. I'll just say I'm glad there's now a medium for cooking shows that's not the Food Network, because the Food Network is to food what the History Channel is to history.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5757
+1s received: 1821
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Capt._Trips » 31 January 2020, 03:33

Just accept pooler is obsessed with you.
Your the white twink he's always wanted.
Just leave him wanting more. :cool:
Please remember to cast your votes for the 2019 GFO awardspost206393/#p206393
You'll even get this shiny badge. ;)

Image
Edna St. Vincent Millay — 'My candle burns at both ends;It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!'
User avatar
Capt._Trips
 
Posts: 3481
+1s received: 2231
Joined: 30 September 2017, 16:43
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 31 January 2020, 03:53

Derek wrote:
poolerboy0077 wrote:
Derek wrote:
Capt._Trips wrote:As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:

That's awful. I complain about my job even though I'm watching youtube cooking channels on my second monitor most of the time.

What are your top three?

I feel like answering would just open me up to criticism. I'll just say I'm glad there's now a medium for cooking shows that's not the Food Network, because the Food Network is to food what the History Channel is to history.

You’re always flaunting how you make these fancy brioche rolls or whatever so I want to watch a channel that makes stuff like that. Give us one of your favorites.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8325
+1s received: 1927
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 31 January 2020, 03:53

Capt._Trips wrote:Your the white twink he's always wanted.

I'm tall, mean, over 25, financially independent, not especially cute, and not a bottom. I am far from the twink of his dreams.

poolerboy0077 wrote:You’re always flaunting how you make these fancy brioche rolls or whatever so I want to watch a channel that makes stuff like that. Give us one of your favorites.

My brioche rolls were adapted from a Julia Child recipe. I would love to find a channel that loves brioche as much as I do, but I don't think they exist.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5757
+1s received: 1821
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 31 January 2020, 03:59

Are you that insecure that you can’t name one channel?
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8325
+1s received: 1927
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Derek » 31 January 2020, 04:08

Uhhh...

Yes.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5757
+1s received: 1821
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 31 January 2020, 07:02

star_trek_geek wrote:What put a frown on my face today? If I had a penny for every time something did this I think I'd be a multi billionaire by now. :) :D :P

Here's todays:

I bought an expensive train ticket but the e-ticket still hadn't arrived by the time of my train. Despite showing them my proof of purchase, the guards wouldn't let me board the train so I had to speak to 4 members of staff (each insisting I talk to someone else), a 10 minute queue & 20 minute phone call to india to rectify the situation. This wasn't helped by the fact they apparently wouldn't have given me a refund had I missed the train, didn't explain why the problem occurred, or how I can prevent it from happening in the future. Thankfully my train was delayed so I caught it just in time. :applause:

During the journey, the guard made an announcement that everyone can claim 50% refund off their tickets for the delay by going online or on the app. Apparently this is a national law. What he didn't say was that in order to get the 50%, the train company makes it so difficult you could probably earn more in the time it takes, with less stress. You have to register on their website that is so full of bugs it can take around an hour to do so, plus register again on the "delay repay" part of the website which has similar bugs resulting in at least another half hour, and when you finally reach the page with the button to claim the refund, it gives an error. After calling up their customer service in india again, they refuse to give you an email and instead give you another number to call which doesn't work. :flame:

I then spent another 10 minutes on the phone to customer support in india being told:
"the number definitely works sir, just try it again...[no it doesn't, I've tried 8 times over the past few hours]... I understand you've tried it 8 times already sir, but just try it again, it definitely works.....[ok you try it then].....I don't have authorisation to call it from here, sir.... [I knew you'd say that].... ok sir I'll call it and prove to you it work!!!!!...[I thought you said you don't have authorisation to?....[I will anyway sir to prove it to you!!!" :facepalm2:

I was then put on hold for 5 minutes.. then she came back on the phone and said "ok sir it doesn't work... [that's what I told you]... Yes I understand sir but there's nothing I can do from here, it's a different department... [so what can I do?]... I don't know sir." :squint:

Suffice it to say, I think it's ingenious- offer compensation for delayed trains but make it so hard to get that compensation that customers give up anyway. Inspired. :lol: :| :keke:

That's privatisation for you. Vote Labour!
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Magic J » 31 January 2020, 09:20

René wrote:
star_trek_geek wrote:...

That's privatisation for you. Vote Labour!

Pfft, no. The free market is the most efficient option in this area. Publicly owned rail would be beuracratic nightmare, and... um... cost a lot... er...

Sorry, we're a bit to busy selling off the rest to enlighten you at the moment. We're on track to get a great deal selling the army, if we throw in a few nuclear power plants on the side.

Sincerely,
The Tories
Last edited by Brenden on 31 January 2020, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix'd quote.
Heteronormative Bullshit
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 381
+1s received: 227
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby UndercoverLover » 31 January 2020, 14:07

Today just started so nothing (yet lol)
But last night I drove to a club. Wanted to get out of the house and meet some people.. But I get really bad anxiety in large groups when I don't know anybody so I just sat there in my truck and thought about it and left. :/
UndercoverLover
 
Posts: 46
+1s received: 20
Joined: 15 October 2017, 06:12
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Jzone » 1 February 2020, 04:48

Internet service options are few where I live. I just made the switch from DSL from a national phone company (which offers pathetic service to our small community) to fiber from a local telecom. Supposedly, I was moving from 20Mbps down/2 up to 75/75. You'd think I would see an improvement, but if anything my speed is worse! Watching a video tonight had so many freezes I had to quit. Even updating the forum has been painfully slow.

The local office is a short walk from my house, but the employees there go into a strange state of panic when a human customer actually walks in the door. It's better to call them, but I often get voicemail and wait days for a response. This should be embarrassing for a company with "communications" in its name!

I kept my old account active with the other company, just in case there were glitches with establishing the new service. I will be calling on Monday and threatening to cancel. They did the installation and started the new service with no contract or agreement signed by me.

Arrrgh!
Just an everyday boy — doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 997
+1s received: 1181
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby René » 1 February 2020, 08:04

Jzone wrote:Internet service options are few where I live. I just made the switch from DSL from a national phone company (which offers pathetic service to our small community) to fiber from a local telecom. Supposedly, I was moving from 20Mbps down/2 up to 75/75. You'd think I would see an improvement, but if anything my speed is worse! Watching a video tonight had so many freezes I had to quit. Even updating the forum has been painfully slow.

The local office is a short walk from my house, but the employees there go into a strange state of panic when a human customer actually walks in the door. It's better to call them, but I often get voicemail and wait days for a response. This should be embarrassing for a company with "communications" in its name!

I kept my old account active with the other company, just in case there were glitches with establishing the new service. I will be calling on Monday and threatening to cancel. They did the installation and started the new service with no contract or agreement signed by me.

Arrrgh!

If only there was actual competition in the land of capitalism... here in socialist UK, there are no geographic monopolies and there are dozens if not hundreds of providers in actual competition with each other via fibre, cable, phone lines and 4G, which is why we're able to get actual reliable ~60 Mbps fibre to the cabinet + phone service for $25/month (not to mention cellular costing about $5/month between the two of us).
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 5173
+1s received: 1418
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby LostGuy94 » 1 February 2020, 14:18

Capt._Trips wrote:As of Monday next week radio's ( and earbuds but they never were) are no longer allowed anywhere at my job.
That really sucks. :(
The thought of working 10 hours with no music and just the sound of banging hammers all day. :facepalm2:
They say its for safety reasons but i think its because the time guys played around with them. Connecting bluetooth, changing songs, everytime they move they take there there giant PA speakers with them, and playing them super loud ( almost in competition)

But as of monday we are music free and im not looking forward to that. :cry:


College wouldn't allow us to listen to music on my painting & decorating course either due to health and saefty, much less time but was still enough to make afternoons tedious... still did whack my headphones in and never got caught which is about as rebellious as I got in college :lol:
Image
User avatar
LostGuy94
 
Posts: 229
+1s received: 241
Joined: 19 January 2019, 18:30
Location: North East, England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby LostGuy94 » 1 February 2020, 14:27

star_trek_geek wrote:What put a frown on my face today? If I had a penny for every time something did this I think I'd be a multi billionaire by now. :) :D :P

Here's todays:

I bought an expensive train ticket but the e-ticket still hadn't arrived by the time of my train. Despite showing them my proof of purchase, the guards wouldn't let me board the train so I had to speak to 4 members of staff (each insisting I talk to someone else), a 10 minute queue & 20 minute phone call to india to rectify the situation. This wasn't helped by the fact they apparently wouldn't have given me a refund had I missed the train, didn't explain why the problem occurred, or how I can prevent it from happening in the future. Thankfully my train was delayed so I caught it just in time. :applause:

During the journey, the guard made an announcement that everyone can claim 50% refund off their tickets for the delay by going online or on the app. Apparently this is a national law. What he didn't say was that in order to get the 50%, the train company makes it so difficult you could probably earn more in the time it takes, with less stress. You have to register on their website that is so full of bugs it can take around an hour to do so, plus register again on the "delay repay" part of the website which has similar bugs resulting in at least another half hour, and when you finally reach the page with the button to claim the refund, it gives an error. After calling up their customer service in india again, they refuse to give you an email and instead give you another number to call which doesn't work. :flame:

I then spent another 10 minutes on the phone to customer support in india being told:
"the number definitely works sir, just try it again...[no it doesn't, I've tried 8 times over the past few hours]... I understand you've tried it 8 times already sir, but just try it again, it definitely works.....[ok you try it then].....I don't have authorisation to call it from here, sir.... [I knew you'd say that].... ok sir I'll call it and prove to you it work!!!!!...[I thought you said you don't have authorisation to?....[I will anyway sir to prove it to you!!!" :facepalm2:

I was then put on hold for 5 minutes.. then she came back on the phone and said "ok sir it doesn't work... [that's what I told you]... Yes I understand sir but there's nothing I can do from here, it's a different department... [so what can I do?]... I don't know sir." :squint:

Suffice it to say, I think it's ingenious- offer compensation for delayed trains but make it so hard to get that compensation that customers give up anyway. Inspired. :lol: :| :keke:


I got to a stage a few months back where every single trip I made by train wound up in Delay Repay claims or them providing me with a taxi when I inevitably missed the last train of the night through tight connection times.
Image
User avatar
LostGuy94
 
Posts: 229
+1s received: 241
Joined: 19 January 2019, 18:30
Location: North East, England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 1 February 2020, 15:27

You can claim taxi fares for missing the last train due to connection delays?!

As a man who has spent the night sleeping on a station bench, I am more than somewhat irked to only be learning about this now. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 6488
+1s received: 1486
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What put a frown on your face today?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 1 February 2020, 15:46



She should’ve been put to rest by assisted suicide. This is one of those cases where continuing her life is just cruel.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 8325
+1s received: 1927
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: acpro, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], Courage, ExaleadThumbnails [Bot], Facebook [Bot], Jayf, John27, Jzone, Magic J, MSN [Bot], Severelius, Yandex [Bot] and 80 guests