Doctor Who

Discuss movies, television, music, games, books, media, and culture (including pop culture) generally.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Josh » 26 February 2017, 01:47

New S10 teaser

I like how they're aiming for a much newer feel than before, and then we'll get the same again with Series 11 given Moffat will be out of the way. I could still personally do with 100% less Matt Lucas... nothing against him at all but I really dislike his character so far.

They've also given a number of episode titles out (after sneaking them into the teaser in the background) so joining some already known that all could change before airing anyway...

01 The Pilot - Steven Moffat
02 Smile - Frank Cottrell Boyce
03 Thin Ice - Sarah Dollard
04 Knock Knock - Mike Bartlett
05 Oxygen - Jamie Mathieson
06 Extremis - Steven Moffat
07 ?? - Peter Harness
08 Truth & Lies - Toby Whithouse
09 ?? - Mark Gatiss
10 Eaters of Light - Rona Munro
11 ?? - Steven Moffat
12 ?? - Steven Moffat

X - Steven Moffat

Also for the people who like Class they're apparently waiting for the US broadcast to decide whether or not to bring it back. It doesn't air there until Series 10 of DW starts so it'll likely be a couple more months before they make a decision. As it stands they're not impressed with how it's done in the UK but that's bound to happen when you're too incompetent to promote it properly, stick it on an online-only channel and then give it a repeat several months later on a main channel - but put it on near midnight. Reality is they never really cared if it worked or not... they just needed to prove they would spend money on 'young adult programming' and on BBC3 after it moved online.
Josh
 
Posts: 3469
+1s received: 60
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:55
Location: 23 Piss Off Ave, London W F*ck

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby KrisCross » 27 February 2017, 07:31

Yeah this season is looking quite good so far, let's hope it actually is.

Seeing DW news on Facebook is often depressing though. The comments are so much worse than with other shows, I kinda started to dislike the fandom. For every actor or writer that has worked on the show recently, there are 10 people claiming they're the reason it's all shit now, not to mention Moffat getting a lot of hatred. Season 9 was actually pretty good and the reviews were great, but if I'd have to believe the comment sections, it was the worst thing ever. For a show that is all about change, it seems to have the fans that can handle it the least.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby rxxli » 5 March 2017, 17:43

Josh wrote:Also for the people who like Class they're apparently waiting for the US broadcast to decide whether or not to bring it back. It doesn't air there until Series 10 of DW starts so it'll likely be a couple more months before they make a decision. As it stands they're not impressed with how it's done in the UK but that's bound to happen when you're too incompetent to promote it properly, stick it on an online-only channel and then give it a repeat several months later on a main channel - but put it on near midnight. Reality is they never really cared if it worked or not... they just needed to prove they would spend money on 'young adult programming' and on BBC3 after it moved online.

Stupid cunts. I guess I kind of expected something like that.

I loved the show - much more than the Doctor Who itself (at least recently) and it will be a shame if it gets cancelled because of stupid management. Sometimes I think that the show would be better off if it wasn't marketed as a Doctor Who spinoff.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Josh » 6 March 2017, 15:10

KrisCross wrote:Yeah this season is looking quite good so far, let's hope it actually is.

Seeing DW news on Facebook is often depressing though. The comments are so much worse than with other shows, I kinda started to dislike the fandom. For every actor or writer that has worked on the show recently, there are 10 people claiming they're the reason it's all shit now, not to mention Moffat getting a lot of hatred. Season 9 was actually pretty good and the reviews were great, but if I'd have to believe the comment sections, it was the worst thing ever. For a show that is all about change, it seems to have the fans that can handle it the least.

The fandom is a very temperamental one I think... but that seems inevitable given the show has been around so long and has been so many different things to people.

The hate Moffat gets is ridiculous and it's an unenviable job for sure. I think some of his episodes are superb, some of them really aren't. I didn't like what he did with the 50th anniversary but that amounts to just one episode (and the BBC made his life difficult - they didn't even have a lead actor contracted in the role when he was writing it!). But that's about as far as it goes. I think it's time for someone new, but that's what we're getting - he has simply offered to do one more series to plug the gap. It feels tired around the edges, but so too did RTD's Doctor Who - David Tennant's final year was poor, and his final story was abysmal in my opinion.

When I see the comments I'm just glad it's not the fans that are in charge of it. It'd be some ludicrous soap opera with David Tennant and Billie Piper fawning over eachother every week, with the Daleks/Cybermen/Master on even more of a cycle than they're already on (funnily enough they even budgeted for a Rose Tyler spin-off back in 2006 and it nearly went ahead. Some of the ideas that the show nearly did but never quite managed are just crazy... the Doctor creating himself the 'perfect companion', The Doctor and JK Rowling played by an actress having to stop evil 'wizards').

rxxli wrote:
Josh wrote:Also for the people who like Class they're apparently waiting for the US broadcast to decide whether or not to bring it back. It doesn't air there until Series 10 of DW starts so it'll likely be a couple more months before they make a decision. As it stands they're not impressed with how it's done in the UK but that's bound to happen when you're too incompetent to promote it properly, stick it on an online-only channel and then give it a repeat several months later on a main channel - but put it on near midnight. Reality is they never really cared if it worked or not... they just needed to prove they would spend money on 'young adult programming' and on BBC3 after it moved online.

Stupid cunts. I guess I kind of expected something like that.

I loved the show - much more than the Doctor Who itself (at least recently) and it will be a shame if it gets cancelled because of stupid management. Sometimes I think that the show would be better off if it wasn't marketed as a Doctor Who spinoff.
This is the argument the critics of the show tend to use - that the show just wasn't tied enough to Doctor Who. Take out Capaldi's appearance in the pilot and the Weeping Angels appearance at the very end and there's very little reference to the main show. Personally I liked that, and thought it was a sign it was trying to do its own thing rather than be overly derivative. But people seem to like 'derivative' these days, and fanwank is all the rage. More is more these days, rather than less and unless Capaldi appeared in every episode or unless they were fighting Daleks every week it's just not worth watching. Of course if they did that then people would complain it was uninspired and why not just make more Doctor Who...so the show was doomed to fail. And that's without even considering how it only existed because the BBC had something to try and prove (which they haven't).

It's a shame, because Doctor Who pulled off a shared universe before it was the done-thing. Before Marvel and DC all started doing these big cinematic universes, Doctor Who had already kind of done that and finished with it. Torchwood tied in with the main show a lot across three series (Martha crossed over into it, for example) and The Sarah Jane Adventures went from strength to strength across five series (the Doctor appeared in two of them, two classic era characters turn up in it, and several Doctor Who enemies too) and only finished because Elisabeth Sladen died. But the three shows shared a continuity and then all successfully crossed over in one go during Series 4 of Doctor Who. That was the TV equivalent of the Avengers movies really, only Doctor Who got there nearly half a decade earlier.

These days it just wouldn't work, because as Class shows they're not interested in committing to all new drama. It needs to be instantly and obviously a spin-off of the main show with constant references. I thought the Angels appearance at the end worked precisely because the rest of the series had gone in a largely new direction. I still hope it gets a second series (I need more Miss Quill, and more Charlie/Matteusz tbh :P ) but am not getting my hopes up... the people in charge just don't care, and many of the viewers are too superficial.
Josh
 
Posts: 3469
+1s received: 60
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:55
Location: 23 Piss Off Ave, London W F*ck

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby rxxli » 6 March 2017, 16:39

Josh wrote:I still hope it gets a second series (I need more Miss Quill, and more Charlie/Matteusz tbh :P ) but am not getting my hopes up... the people in charge just don't care, and many of the viewers are too superficial.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. If it gets cancelled I at least did the best that I could to support the show - I followed their social media accounts and I bought the blu-ray release. I can't do much more.

As for how tied in with Who universe it was... I was totally fine with that. I like the fact that it was its own show (like the old spinoffs were). Problem is as you said - the viewers don't know what they want. The who universe fans complained that the show didn't have enough doctor in it, and treated the show as a gap filler for doctor who instead of a new spinoff. That's why I would simply throw that doctor appearance in the first episode out (replace it with something else) and remove all references to Doctor Who universe from it. The show is strong enough to stand on its own and I think that the Doctor Who fans are dragging it down.

I think that Patrick Ness said that he is going to write season 2 even if the show gets cancelled. If it gets cancelled he could probably approach Netflix/Amazon and try to get a second season made. Provided that the BBC would be willing to sell the rights to it. As far as I know Netflix currently doesn't have much young adult TV shows in their portfolio and Class stripped of the Doctor Who references could very well work for them. Though this is a really far fetched idea.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Josh » 6 March 2017, 18:00

rxxli wrote:I think that Patrick Ness said that he is going to write season 2 even if the show gets cancelled. If it gets cancelled he could probably approach Netflix/Amazon and try to get a second season made. Provided that the BBC would be willing to sell the rights to it. As far as I know Netflix currently doesn't have much young adult TV shows in their portfolio and Class stripped of the Doctor Who references could very well work for them. Though this is a really far fetched idea.

This could be easier said than done - selling Doctor Who-related content has made things very difficult for the BBC in the past. As an example they don't own the Daleks, and they were nearly banned from appearing in the show when it came back in 2005 (even when Series 1 was being written, they had a new enemt in their place... the design of which was eventually worked into being the Toclafane in Series 3). It's pretty much assumed and accepted now that the Daleks have to appear at least once in every televised series to some extent in order for the BBC to retain the rights to use them. It's a similar deal with using K9, which they don't own either. They wanted to use him in The Sarah Jane Adventures regularly from its third series, but the only way they could do so was to agree to make him appear in every episode at least once (which he did).

There's also a hell of a lot of BBC bureaucracy in the way as well... they're not allowed to sell off certain assets for profit regardless of whether people actually want them to. It's all very backwards and outdated, and the kind of thing that's been holding Doctor Who back in recent years - Series 6 and 7 had additional funding from BBC America, whilst Series 7, 8, 9 and 10 have had agreements with Spanish broadcasters to susbidise the costs of filming episodes in the country. Without these things the show budget would be much lower. It's kinda sad enough that the show makes a fortune in merchandising, but it doesn't see that success reflected in more money being spent on the actual show.

Long story short, it's stupid. But hey, Capaldi's bound to be happy right now as his dream-idea for a story is happening in Series 10...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Series 10 finale will see the return of Missy and the Mondasian Cybermen. It will be the final story before Capaldi's final Christmas special.
Image Image: Image


Series 10 trailer...
Last edited by Josh on 14 March 2017, 22:58, edited 3 times in total.
Josh
 
Posts: 3469
+1s received: 60
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:55
Location: 23 Piss Off Ave, London W F*ck

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Severelius » 6 March 2017, 19:00

Josh wrote:But hey, Capaldi's bound to be happy right now as his dream-idea for a story is happening in Series 10...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Series 10 finale will see the return of Missy and the Mondasian Cybermen. It will be the final story before Capaldi's final Christmas special.
Image


Damn, you beat me to it.

I never expected this development but I am so damn happy.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5014
+1s received: 1356
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby SS91 » 16 May 2017, 14:50

Anyone else been watching the new season? Pearl Mackie's Bill has breathed new life into Peter Capaldi and the entire show, I really like her but not a fan of Nardole. :-(

Loved this twist at the end of the latest episode!! :noes:
User avatar
SS91
 
Posts: 256
+1s received: 63
Joined: 15 August 2016, 15:14

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Mr. Fox » 17 May 2017, 01:47

SS91 wrote:Anyone else been watching the new season? Pearl Mackie's Bill has breathed new life into Peter Capaldi and the entire show, I really like her but not a fan of Nardole. :-(

Loved this twist at the end of the latest episode!! :noes:


Not liking this season so far. I'll be glad to see Stephen Moffat go. I love Matt Lucas, but his Nardole is so annoying.
User avatar
Mr. Fox
 
Posts: 282
+1s received: 11
Joined: 25 January 2015, 15:29
Country: United States (us)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Severelius » 17 May 2017, 08:08

Nardole is tolerable when he's being a standard companion-type character.

He's utterly intolerable when he's bitching and moaning at the Doctor like a patronising wanker.

Unfortunately the show seems incapable of figuring out what his character actually is so he comes off like an indecisive or schizophrenic annoyance. Happy to angrily rant at the Doctor about leaving Earth one minute but all in on wacky space adventures the next, then right back again afterwards.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5014
+1s received: 1356
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby KrisCross » 20 May 2017, 21:08

Anyone seen Extremis? I am so excited by how this season is developing. They're really shaking things up and raising the stakes for Moffat and Capaldi's exit. I loved how this episode set up something very big.

Yes, Nardole playing the Doctor's nanny was a bit annoying, but that might just be over now and he has given us plenty of funny moments, so I'll tolerate it.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Frigid » 23 May 2017, 15:43

I really don't like it at the moment.

I can't tell what kind of characters the actors for the Dr and Pearl are trying to portray. And wtf is Nardole all about?
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1614
+1s received: 295
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby alehizzle » 24 May 2017, 16:43

I still have no idea what Nardole's role actually is.

I still don't have a particular fondness for Bill.
Image
User avatar
alehizzle
 
Posts: 455
+1s received: 6
Joined: 30 January 2013, 21:52
Country: United States (us)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby Frigid » 17 July 2017, 16:49

13 is a woman!

Though I was hoping for an old woman with lots of cats.

And why aren't the Whovians the first ones updating this topic? Hmm?
User avatar
Frigid
 
Posts: 1614
+1s received: 295
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:23
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby René » 17 July 2017, 17:56

Frigid wrote:13 is a woman!

Ooh, this reminds me of Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death. :keke:

For those who haven't seen it:

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
+1s received: 2983
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Previous

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 77 guests