GFO Film Club, film 3: THE BIG SHORT (until 13 March)

Discuss movies, television, music, games, books, media, and culture (including pop culture) generally.

What should be the next film for the GFO film club?

Poll ended at 12 March 2017, 14:51

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
0
No votes
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2
50%
Interstellar
2
50%
Kubo and the Two Strings
0
No votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
0
No votes
Prayers for Bobby
1
25%
Schindler's List
0
No votes
Spotlight
2
50%
Stoker
1
25%
The Handmaiden
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 8

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby c1ask0 » 20 January 2017, 23:10

Ah, Spirited Away is a very weird film. I watched it on my first year at uni whilst drunk after a night out. Somehow that felt appropriate.

I would probably appreciate it more if I rewatched it some time.
Don't think about doing it tomorrow. You won't do it tomorrow. Do it today.
User avatar
c1ask0
Moderator
 
Posts: 4168
+1s received: 66
Joined: 17 December 2013, 19:48
Location: Preston
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Tony » 22 January 2017, 13:08

Thanks for the positive response and all the film suggestions. To get the film club started, I have picked 10 films that were suggested and put them in a poll. Just wanted to let you know that you can pick up to two choice, have the ability to change your choices and that the poll ends next Sunday.

The film with the highest number of votes will be picked, and having the poll end on Sunday will allow the first week of the film club to start next Monday and members have the full week (and weekend) to see the film, if the first club is weekly.
Tony
 
Posts: 3292
+1s received: 194
Joined: 24 October 2014, 20:30
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby rxxli » 22 January 2017, 22:08

The only movie on that list is Closet Monster. Mostly because I've already seen it and I know it's great. I could see myself seeing Spotlight or potentially Schindler's List. I know that I have a bit weird taste in movies but there is no way in hell that I am going to watch any of the other ones.

And that is the problem with these things. You will never going to please everyone and somebody will always feel left out. So I will participate if I like the movie, but not for the others. Hopefully that's okay.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 January 2017, 22:14

rxxli wrote:The only movie on that list is Closet Monster. Mostly because I've already seen it and I know it's great. I could see myself seeing Spotlight or potentially Schindler's List. I know that I have a bit weird taste in movies but there is no way in hell that I am going to watch any of the other ones.

And that is the problem with these things. You will never going to please everyone and somebody will always feel left out. So I will participate if I like the movie, but not for the others. Hopefully that's okay.

But why would you refuse to watch a film with such vehemence? I mean, there are a couple on the list that I can't imagine myself choosing to watch left to my own devices, but if they're chosen then I'll watch them, because that's the point. This isn't the Rxxli Film Appreciation Society. It's a film club, one is chosen and we all watch it, it exposes you to new things and makes you think about them. It's about experiencing new things by it's very nature, it's artistic appreciation. Saying things like "There's no way in hell" that I'll watch a film I can't imagine myself having chosen does strike as moronic in the extreme, don't you think?
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8735
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 January 2017, 22:24

There will be films that come up that people don't like, but they'll watch them and form points about what they didn't like and put them out there so that people can think about them and reflect on their own opinions. So people can converse and debate. This isn't about all watching a film, all having the same opinions and then all agreeing that it was lovely and doing the same next week. That's a waste of fucking time. If you're not willing to contribute, don't worry about contributing. Watch films you've already seen in your own time. That's not what we're doing here.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8735
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby rxxli » 22 January 2017, 22:43

Marmaduke wrote:But why would you refuse to watch a film with such vehemence? I mean, there are a couple on the list that I can't imagine myself choosing to watch left to my own devices, but if they're chosen then I'll watch them, because that's the point. This isn't the Rxxli Film Appreciation Society. It's a film club, one is chosen and we all watch it, it exposes you to new things and makes you think about them. It's about experiencing new things by it's very nature, it's artistic appreciation. Saying things like "There's no way in hell" that I'll watch a film I can't imagine myself having chosen does strike as moronic in the extreme, don't you think?

I really don't know how to explain this. I probably can't. It's a thing that I have with movies and TV shows (or possibly all art)... I just don't want to willingly watch a movie that I don't think is going to interest me.

The last time I watched a movie that I absolutely hated was 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a university coursework project. We had to watch the movie and write a review about it. I don't think anyone has ever invented so many passive-aggressive ways to say that something is an absolute garbage. I literally felt rage when I was writing that review. I wasted two hours of my life on something that I was sure I am going to hate.

I don't think I would ever watch Schindler's List on my own. Because it doesn't look that good to me. But I would watch it anyway if it came up here. Because even though I don't think that I would like it, it still doesn't look that bad. The others do. It's not like I always like a movie after I am done watching it. I can find a movie interesting, but still hate it after I've watched it, but the initial interest must be there.

In the end it's quite simple. I was asking if I can participate just for the movies that I find okay but not the others. I am not going to be angry or anything if I can't.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 January 2017, 23:08

Let me try and make my point another way.

Your right, on face value you request is quite simple. It's also childish and rude.

This thread is not just here to suggest films that people might like to watch and then to have them confirm or deny it afterwards. This is a rare and brilliant thing for this forum, a means by which we all have a shared experience from which we can form differing views and then have an informed and informative discussion. It's definitely something to be encouraged, but in order for it to work a certain social covenant must be entered into by the parties involved; all parties may make suggestions as to the next film but only one can be chosen, the format fails to work when the people within it start refusing to watch the films when the ones they nominated aren't chosen. It's also going to prove a source of great fucking annoyance when those same people can't even show the merest deference or courtesy to the group and even try to watch the film. Because if you came back one week and said "You know what, I could only get about 15 minutes in and I had to turn it off, I hated it so much and this is why...." then that's absolutely fine. Because you made an effort. You undertook to take part in a social activity and you tried it even though it wasn't all you expected it to be. You fulfilled your obligation to the group simply through doing them the courtesy of not point blank ignoring them when they bored you.

As case in point, The Handmaiden, looks nothing like a film that I would normally imagine myself watching. Do you know what I'll do if it's picked one week? I certainly won't just ignore everyone until a film I like is chosen again. I'll watch it. Do you know why? Because I might just be wrong about it, unlikely though it may seem to me, there might be something I really enjoy in it. I'm not so childish and arrogant to imagine I can't possibly be wrong about a thing without even trying it.

Imagine, for instance, that this wasn't an internet forum but rather a dining club. Every week, a member of the club hosts a dinner party and we all go round to their home and enjoy the food they've prepared for us because they think we might enjoy it and have delightful conversation. Now imagine that Tony has sent you an invite with a menu for his evening on it, there's no particular ingredient you've tried and don't like, and you know these are dishes he really enjoys, but you reply to him stating that you won't even try them because they aren't dishes you've ever imagined yourself enjoying, you tell him you won't come unless he cooks you chicken nuggets and chips. I'm sure in those circumstances, you could perhaps understand Tony not falling over himself to provide you a side menu. It's not really what he signed up for. It's a similar set of social graces at play here.

If you're looking for a place to tell people about films you've seen and liked, then film of the moment may well be more suited to you. This isn't that. Were it my decision, I'd tell you that no, it's not ok for you to rudely ignore us until it suits you to talk to us and invite you to discuss your film views with another club. Alas, it's Tony's thread and he's much more an idealist than I. I imagine in real life that he'd probably make you chicken nuggets and chips because I genuinely think he just likes to make people happy. Tony and I are quite different at heart.

That's my two cents, or five.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8735
+1s received: 3419
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby rxxli » 22 January 2017, 23:34

You are right. I knew it was a bad idea asking this and I pretty much expected such a response. That's one of the reasons why I haven't responded before. I guess loneliness just got to me and I wanted to participate in a conversation.

I will say this however... Your analogy is wrong. I would never demand nuggets and chips. I would just come up with an excuse and not come to the party.

I withdraw my request/question. I will think about it and either participate fully or not at all.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Brenden » 22 January 2017, 23:47

I, for one, hope you do participate.

I'm rather surprised by this degree of unabashed closed-mindedness on your part.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9193
+1s received: 3557
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Mod » 23 January 2017, 06:45

Were it my decision, I'd tell you that no, it's not ok for you to rudely ignore us until it suits you to talk to us and invite you to discuss your film views with another club. Alas, it's Tony's thread and he's much more an idealist than I. I imagine in real life that he'd probably make you chicken nuggets and chips because I genuinely think he just likes to make people happy. Tony and I are quite different at heart.


Unlike Marmaduke I am not a Sith and so do not deal in absolutes.
I think what Andre is saying makes a lot of sense but even if he watched a small amount of a film and said his reaction was "I hated this and here is why" I think that's a net good because that's how you're meant to participate in these discussions -this isn't and won't be a monolith of people cirlcejerking over a complete consensus.

On the other hand I have no idea of how much unchecked, consuming hatred Andre genuinely feels over watching movies on this list when he already doesn't expect to like them and don't wish him undue amounts of emotional distress.
I'm kind of amazed he can feel this way but there it is.

Curiously my boyfriend's Dad is a notoriously picky eater and recently tried Pizza after saying for decades that he didn't like it and therefore would not try it. We took him out for some pizza once a few months ago and heard that he now has regular business lunches there.
Still, good luck trying to get him to eat most things that aren't steak and mash.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby KrisCross » 23 January 2017, 12:00

I'd like to participate as well! I don't always have the time to be active on the forums, but if we're given 2 weeks to watch the movie, that should work! :)

And I hope you decide to join as well Andre, it's always fun discussing tv-shows or movies with you!

As for the list of options, The Godfather is the only movie I ever watched that I just couldn't finish because it was so awfully boring, but I'll give it a second chance if it ever gets chosen. Spirited Away I already saw, but I'd gladly watch it again. The Handmaiden also looks really interesting.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby rxxli » 23 January 2017, 19:33

Brenden wrote:I, for one, hope you do participate.

I'm rather surprised by this degree of unabashed closed-mindedness on your part.

That's not really closed-mindedness is it? These days I have about 4 hours per week to watch some movies/tv-shows. So spending 2 hours on something that I don't think I will enjoy (I could be wrong of course) is not closed-minded. Just practical. And even if I had a lot more time... this argument still stands.

[quote="Mod"
Unlike Marmaduke I am not a Sith and so do not deal in absolutes.
I think what Andre is saying makes a lot of sense but even if he watched a small amount of a film and said his reaction was "I hated this and here is why" I think that's a net good because that's how you're meant to participate in these discussions -this isn't and won't be a monolith of people cirlcejerking over a complete consensus.
[/quote]
One thing that is also worth noting here is the fact that I am very stubborn. So if I start a movie then I am not stopping until I reach the end. Even if it is a total crap.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Mod » 24 January 2017, 00:40

rxxli wrote:One thing that is also worth noting here is the fact that I am very stubborn. So if I start a movie then I am not stopping until I reach the end. Even if it is a total crap.


Sounds like you have a scripting error in your while loop.
Have you considered updating your firmware or moving to a new version of your OS?
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Brenden » 24 January 2017, 11:19

rxxli wrote:
Brenden wrote:I, for one, hope you do participate.

I'm rather surprised by this degree of unabashed closed-mindedness on your part.

That's not really closed-mindedness is it? These days I have about 4 hours per week to watch some movies/tv-shows. So spending 2 hours on something that I don't think I will enjoy (I could be wrong of course) is not closed-minded. Just practical.

Yes, it is the very definition of closed-minded: stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas or information.

rxxli wrote:And even if I had a lot more time... this argument still stands.

How on earth does your argument about the amount of free time still stand if its very premise is no longer true? :squint:
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9193
+1s received: 3557
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby rxxli » 24 January 2017, 22:05

Brenden wrote:...

Except I am not unreceptive to new ideas or information. Me being unreceptive would be not even looking at the trailer/reading the synopsis. I've seen a lot of movies to know what style/genre and what kind of stories suit me.

"Did you try sex with a woman? If not then how can you say that you don't like it." You are pretty much using the equivalent of that.

Seriously... if that makes me unreceptive then I am joining the conservative party and voting for Trump.

As for the time argument... The amount of time that I have for movies is always finite. Having more of it just makes it less valuable. So the amount spent on watching bad movies will hurt less. But it will still hurt.




Anyways... I've decided. I'll join this thing. I'll even watch potentially crap movies and probably regret that decision later. Or maybe not... we will see.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 365
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby Tony » 25 January 2017, 19:08

rxxli wrote:Anyways... I've decided. I'll join this thing. I'll even watch potentially crap movies and probably regret that decision later. Or maybe not... we will see.

Andrej, I am really glad you decided to join the GFO film club. :)
KrisCross wrote:I'd like to participate as well! I don't always have the time to be active on the forums, but if we're given 2 weeks to watch the movie, that should work! :)

I'm really happy for it to be two week, I think it gives all participants enough time to see the film, before we have a week to discuss the film and pick the next film. TBH as it's quite new (to me), I'm happy to play it by the ear :)
Tony
 
Posts: 3292
+1s received: 194
Joined: 24 October 2014, 20:30
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PostThis post was deleted by René on 25 January 2017, 22:02.
Reason: Spam

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby OprahWindFury » 26 January 2017, 02:04

Sounds like a lot of fun! I really enjoy seeing how what I feel/experience with a film differs with how other people felt/experienced.
A leash can be pulled from either end.

Image
User avatar
OprahWindFury
 
Posts: 442
+1s received: 94
Joined: 22 November 2016, 07:48
Location: Somewhere
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: 2017 GFO film club

Unread postby acpro » 27 January 2017, 20:15

I'm impartial to which movie we watch--let's get this going!
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2297
+1s received: 431
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2017 GFO film club, Film 1: Closet Monster (until 12/02/17 23:59 P

Unread postby Tony » 29 January 2017, 15:10

Thank you to all members who voted. The first film picked for the GFO film club is Closet Monster, which was picked by 7/13 of the total voters.



Members have two weeks to see the film, before the closing date/time on 12/02/17 23:59 PST. Discussion commence anytime between now and the closing date. On the 13th we will have a new film ready to watch. Feel free to add any film suggestions before the 5th, for the next vote.
Tony
 
Posts: 3292
+1s received: 194
Joined: 24 October 2014, 20:30
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 76 guests