New and Upcoming Films

Discuss movies, television, music, games, books, media, and culture (including pop culture) generally.

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby Mod » 30 March 2017, 02:26

Severelius wrote:Still looks amazing.
Still want to do unspeakably dirty things with Tom Holland.




I love that Michael Keaton has actually become a Birdman villain.

Also lol did they actually re-use footage within the same trailer holy shit. Also fuck am I tired of people using inception style dubstep music at 'chilling' moments of trailers.

Anyway I am really keen to go see this and IT, they look really good.

Just think Spidey's trailer has some dumb tropey bull going on.

The thing about superhero movies is that they are just meant to be pandered comfort food where you know if you spend the US$8 on a ticket then you'll have a good time. I think that's where Marvel almost always gets it right. It might end up being too much popcorn fluff and forgettable for me (like Guardians was) or it might be super awesome like the Captain America movies but it's almost never straight up boring like Avengers 2 was.
DC on the other hand, choosing to see every movie feels like a weighted struggle where you say well I'm going to probably waste my movie ticket on this or choose to see it at home and waste 2.5 hours on grim tryhard bullshit. Or I could just not see it at all.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby KrisCross » 30 March 2017, 07:59

My issue with Marvel films is that they pretty much all have the same tone and I guess that somehow helped the DC films hit some weird nostalgic spot for me. I never regretted paying a ticket to go see them. All their other flaws aside, DC get criticized a little too harshly for relying on a basic plot line, while Marvel relies so heavily on them and gets away with it.

Marvel almost sucked the soul out of the genre for me at one point. While Captain America 2 & 3 are really good, they also lack the most personality since they're basically the Avengers Lite. Guardians of the Galaxy was a really welcome change of pace though and Homecoming looks like it might be as well, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Not saying that DC isn't flopping quality wise, but Marvel just gets away with a little too much for me.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby Mod » 30 March 2017, 09:22

My praise Marvel-Disney comes from the way they've by design promised a film people will always enjoy to some extent, they're the default good time for people that don't care as much and they're a must see for all the continuity nerds. I do think their basic plots are usually re-used and the enemies are often just super forgettable.

Guardians is a little too popcorn for me (but I loved it when I first saw it) and really the only Marvel movies I'll get behind are Cap movies because I think Spy/War thriller just works for the super hero genre (Civil War is the avengers 2 we deserved but I don't see where the other movies fall under the comparison, I think they have more personality than say Ant-Man or the Hulk Movies just because they're about Jason Bourne in spandex) and probably Spider-man, and hopefully Taika Waititi's Thor movie that's coming soon.

DC fails for me because it doesn't understand the tone of the movie audiences want any more. They're permanently stuck in the gritty 90's comic book era where everything is grim and shitty, or 'realistic'. It worked really well during the 90's, it carried every Frank Miller movie and 2 out of three Christopher Nolan movies were great because of it but since then it's just endless re-hashing of Nolan's original success. They brought on Zack Snyder but honestly I don't think he's done anything good since Watchmen.


Anyway I'm reeeeally excited for this movie because despite this dumb title I fucking loved the Fifth Element and will go apeshit for anything going near that style of sci-fi world building (also one of the reasons why I liked parts of Jupiter Ascending).

It's based on a comic book but it's directed by and feels really close to the Fifth Element's vibe.


Other things I want: a movie based on Transmetropolitan or one of the many real stories of grand betrayal and war from Eve Online.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby rxxli » 30 March 2017, 20:35

Mod wrote:Anyway I'm reeeeally excited for this movie because despite this dumb title I fucking loved the Fifth Element and will go apeshit for anything going near that style of sci-fi world building (also one of the reasons why I liked parts of Jupiter Ascending).

It's based on a comic book but it's directed by and feels really close to the Fifth Element's vibe.

I am quite excited about Valerian as well. At least it isn't your typical superhero movie again.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 364
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby Severelius » 30 March 2017, 20:41

Mod wrote:Anyway I'm reeeeally excited for this movie because despite this dumb title I fucking loved the Fifth Element and will go apeshit for anything going near that style of sci-fi world building (also one of the reasons why I liked parts of Jupiter Ascending).

It's based on a comic book but it's directed by and feels really close to the Fifth Element's vibe.

Holy fuck that actually looks amazing. And not just as a film, though it looks like a hell of a fun ride and god knows I've got a hankering for grand sci-fi adventuring. I mean even just visually that looks fucking gorgeous. And anything with Dane DeHaan in it is worth my time.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 4938
+1s received: 1301
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby KrisCross » 30 March 2017, 21:16

Mod wrote:My praise Marvel-Disney comes from the way they've by design promised a film people will always enjoy to some extent, they're the default good time for people that don't care as much and they're a must see for all the continuity nerds. I do think their basic plots are usually re-used and the enemies are often just super forgettable.

Guardians is a little too popcorn for me (but I loved it when I first saw it) and really the only Marvel movies I'll get behind are Cap movies because I think Spy/War thriller just works for the super hero genre (Civil War is the avengers 2 we deserved but I don't see where the other movies fall under the comparison, I think they have more personality than say Ant-Man or the Hulk Movies just because they're about Jason Bourne in spandex) and probably Spider-man, and hopefully Taika Waititi's Thor movie that's coming soon.

DC fails for me because it doesn't understand the tone of the movie audiences want any more. They're permanently stuck in the gritty 90's comic book era where everything is grim and shitty, or 'realistic'. It worked really well during the 90's, it carried every Frank Miller movie and 2 out of three Christopher Nolan movies were great because of it but since then it's just endless re-hashing of Nolan's original success. They brought on Zack Snyder but honestly I don't think he's done anything good since Watchmen.
Tbh I don't really disagree with you, but I simply think BvS and Suicide Squad are more of a 'good time' than some of the bottom-of-the-barrel Marvel stuff. When you sat through 13 'light-hearted', tonally similar superhero movies, DC's desperate attempt at a darker tone isn't too bad. Though admittedly, I'm a bit biased towards their characters.

I wouldn't say Ant-man and Hulk have much personality either actually. I do think Cap 2 & 3 are among the best on the MCU slate, but maybe it's simply because I consider Captain America himself the blandest hero of the bunch. Even in his own movies, there's always another character stealing the spotlight.

And yes, Zack Snyder needs to go. That's why I'm kinda disappointed with the Justice League trailer; it reeks of everything that was wrong with BvS. I remain confident about Wonderwoman though.

Mod wrote:Anyway I'm reeeeally excited for this movie because despite this dumb title I fucking loved the Fifth Element and will go apeshit for anything going near that style of sci-fi world building (also one of the reasons why I liked parts of Jupiter Ascending).

It's based on a comic book but it's directed by and feels really close to the Fifth Element's vibe.


Other things I want: a movie based on Transmetropolitan or one of the many real stories of grand betrayal and war from Eve Online.

YES! I'm a sucker for bombastic space operas.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby lightnight » 10 April 2017, 19:06

In case anyone missed it

Filler
User avatar
lightnight
 
Posts: 1280
+1s received: 377
Joined: 18 May 2015, 02:39

PostThis post was deleted by lightnight on 10 April 2017, 19:09.
Reason: I decided I was being shallow and shouldn't judge a demigod by the length of his hair

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby KrisCross » 11 April 2017, 15:15

That actually looks really good considering how lackluster previous Thor films were. I have a feeling Cate Blanchet will give us one hell of a performance.

Can they please stop this trend of slapping classic rock hits on trailers tho? 9 out of 10 times it turns a trailer that could have wowed me into a trailer that is just good. It makes it seem as if all these movies have the exact same tone. If you don't wanna use stereotypical epic trailer music then fine, but at least be more inventive than diving into the same genre every time.
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby Mod » 11 April 2017, 22:07

Eh idunno. I mostly agree with you But I've heard this is basically a road trip movie and what road trip movie is good without classic rock. :p

My bugbear is everyone playing Queen or dubstep breaks in movies/trailers. So over that lazy shit.

Anyway I'm rooting super hard for this on behalf of Taika Waititi. Really hope we get a lot of Jeff Goldblum and they didn't just shove all his content in tgen for star power. Hoping the movie ends up funnier than just Joss Whedon clever quip funny.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: Film of the Moment

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 15 April 2017, 08:12

Just saw Logan. Damn that was good.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9870
+1s received: 2733
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby Mod » 16 April 2017, 10:15

T2 Trainspotting was fantastic. Definitely a well made sequel.
Money can't buy happiness; but we'll sell it to you anyway.
Mod
 
Posts: 3174
+1s received: 161
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:26
Country: New Zealand (nz)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby KrisCross » 18 April 2017, 23:38

Japanese but Elizabeth is back as well!!!!


Even more hyped now!
Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby KrisCross » 25 April 2017, 12:04

YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS! The first movie was unexpectedly the most fun film I had seen that year, I love how over the top this trailer looks.

Image
KrisCross
 
Posts: 288
+1s received: 47
Joined: 25 October 2015, 23:26
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby rxxli » 28 April 2017, 20:32

KrisCross wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS! The first movie was unexpectedly the most fun film I had seen that year, I love how over the top this trailer looks.



This looks totally fun. Definitely watching it ASAP. I already downloaded the first one and I am going to watch it later in the evening.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 364
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby acpro » 9 May 2017, 14:20

It's not new but King Cobra, the movie based on Brent Corrigan's life is on Netflix! I'm about to watch that bitch now. I used to be so fascinated by his life. I was never attracted to him sexually though. I thought his dick looked like it was going to explode--too much vitamin V or penis pump orrr both.
User avatar
acpro
 
Posts: 2285
+1s received: 427
Joined: 23 December 2012, 05:18
Country: United States (us)

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby SS91 » 16 May 2017, 14:50

no more monkey business; the film looks intense :D
User avatar
SS91
 
Posts: 256
+1s received: 63
Joined: 15 August 2016, 15:14

Re: New and Upcoming Films

Unread postby SS91 » 20 May 2017, 09:59

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the best movie i have seen all year so far, as it improves with the characters, plot, action sequences, and comedy. The dialogue is funny and very creative. As always the CGI is very good and the movie just looked so beautiful <3

:awesome:
User avatar
SS91
 
Posts: 256
+1s received: 63
Joined: 15 August 2016, 15:14

Re: Film of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 21 May 2017, 21:43

Just saw Manchester By The Sea. To be honest... I don't really see all the fuss about this movie. And I can totally understand the quite low rating on IMDB.

The whole thing is bland. The use of flashbacks to tell the story wasn't the best choice in my opinion, but that is only the beginning. The whole story is one big misery. It just comes off totally unbelievable and unrealistic. The overuse of sad music gets really annoying as well. The movie introduces nice plot points but never really resolves any of them and there is no real ending either. And that's one of the worst things that you can do.

While it isn't a really bad movie, it isn't a good one either. It felt like the creators wanted to get the viewers very emotional, but used way too much "sad content" which in turn made the viewers bored instead of emotional.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 364
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: Film of the Moment

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 22 May 2017, 05:04

Can we talk about how annoying Alien: Covenant is?

Spoiler:

It completely undoes everything they set up in Prometheus which was intended to give a context, mystery and lore to the franchise. In that film, it was about a woman who has her faith questioned by having humans be creations of these Engineers who were preparing to destroy Earth but failed to do so. In Alien: Covenant, they killed off that woman, Elizabeth Shaw, and they killed off the Engineers, with only a brief mention of either and made it completely about a robot gone mad. What a letdown.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9870
+1s received: 2733
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], ebloo937pam, jpjzao028pam and 63 guests