What are you reading right now?

Discuss movies, television, music, games, books, media, and culture (including pop culture) generally.

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Edward » 2 August 2013, 21:54

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling.

I was reminded of this by a question on University Challenge the other week in which a review described it as '500 pages of Socialist Manifesto' so I thought I'd give it a read. I tend to enjoy satirising of Middle-Class England and the conflict of class. Quite a good book so far and it screams JK Rowling all over it.
Formerly known as upthebracket
Edward
 
Posts: 868
+1s received: 6
Joined: 21 December 2012, 00:54
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Loop » 3 August 2013, 07:14

Hadrian wrote:
Now I'm reading A Path of Daggers. Jeez, no matter how poorly Jordan writes his female characters, no matter how annoying the braid-pulling and beard-scratching and scarf-tightening gets, I keep coming back to his world. Guess I'm just a sucker for fantasy.


Yes but there's so much fantasy actually worth reading. Actually that's not true at all - but there is some.

Finished The Stand. Don't regret reading it, but wouldn't recommend it. Confirmed that Stephen King isn't for me. Some part of his writing grates on me - like listening to a good song that has an barely perceivably but eventually aggravating whine in the background. And now while I attempt to actually finish the half dozen books I've got going, I just bought Gibson's Virtual Light. Shit.


Do you have any recommendations?
User avatar
Loop
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:01
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Hadrian » 4 August 2013, 07:11

Loop wrote:
Hadrian wrote:
Now I'm reading A Path of Daggers. Jeez, no matter how poorly Jordan writes his female characters, no matter how annoying the braid-pulling and beard-scratching and scarf-tightening gets, I keep coming back to his world. Guess I'm just a sucker for fantasy.


Yes but there's so much fantasy actually worth reading. Actually that's not true at all - but there is some.

Finished The Stand. Don't regret reading it, but wouldn't recommend it. Confirmed that Stephen King isn't for me. Some part of his writing grates on me - like listening to a good song that has an barely perceivably but eventually aggravating whine in the background. And now while I attempt to actually finish the half dozen books I've got going, I just bought Gibson's Virtual Light. Shit.


Do you have any recommendations?


Harder question than I thought it'd be, considering you're familiar with the two series that first come to mind when I think decent fantasy - A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle. And because I skew towards science fiction..

Okay. Two recs. Sabriel by Garth Nix. Haven't read a Nix book I didn't like. The first book in his Abhorsen trilogy, but works fine stand alone. Really enjoyed it when I read it as a kid. More young adult, but well worth reading.

Andrej Sapkowski is a Polish author who wrote a series back in the '90s that is slowly being translated to English. It gained prominence when it was adapted into a video game called "The Witcher". Read The Last Wish by Sapkowski. When you like it (not if), read Blood of Elves. Then hate your life as you wait agonizingly for the next book to be translated into English.

Oh shit. Wait. If you like massive tomes of high fantasy in the style of WoT, stop everything and read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. Do it now. This is the author that stepped in to finish the Wheel of Time, and while I don't usually go in for the giant sprawling decade-long fantasy epics..well, this one is different.

Happy reading.
For we ourselves the cubits warp, for fear to be a king.
User avatar
Hadrian
 
Posts: 207
+1s received: 3
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:24
Location: LA
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby SpaceOctopus » 4 August 2013, 19:43

Abendlichter wrote:He made fun of me because it was a book.


This must be the funniest sentence I've read this week :lol: I wonder what this guy's major was.

OT: I've almost finished "Blood and Gold" and thus will soon be able to start watching the third season of GoT :keke:
User avatar
SpaceOctopus
 
Posts: 267
Joined: 11 January 2013, 15:22
Country: Finland (fi)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby rxxli » 6 August 2013, 00:05

Well I decided and started reading Band Of Brothers. I am through the middle now and it's a really nice book. Ambrose did a great job of writing it because it's actually fun to read and a nice account of second world war through the eyes of a small group of people.

I've read the With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge (which was a theme for the HBO miniseries The Pacific) and I like Band of Brothers much more. Pacific was a better TV show, but Band of Brothers is a better book. It sounds like fiction when you are reading it, but it's actually not and I find that amazing.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4467
+1s received: 364
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 13 August 2013, 05:31

Reading more on NSA and Snowden’s "Wiretap Anyone" Claim:

(Excerpt) wrote:Greenwald does not substantiate any claim to systemic abuse of XKeyscore. He does not provide a single instance where it was used — illegally — to collect information on a U.S. citizen. In fact, the discussion about potential abuse of NSA programs remains theoretical. There are no credible allegations of widespread, illegal abuse of the programs in place to identify and track suspected terrorists. (Even Senator Ron Wyden, in noting that the intelligence community “misled Congress about the usefulness” of mass collection programs, is not identifying systemic abuses or failure of oversight audits within the system.) The potential for abuse is real and not to be discounted, but it is misleading to present it as actual abuse.

Source: https://medium.com/state-of-play/f49beeaf6a9c
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9868
+1s received: 2733
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby wizid » 14 August 2013, 02:05

Biko - by Donald Woods
Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare. - Guy de Maupassant
User avatar
wizid
 
Posts: 1761
+1s received: 192
Joined: 8 March 2013, 03:06
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Loop » 18 August 2013, 23:53

Hadrian wrote:
Loop wrote:
Hadrian wrote:
Now I'm reading A Path of Daggers. Jeez, no matter how poorly Jordan writes his female characters, no matter how annoying the braid-pulling and beard-scratching and scarf-tightening gets, I keep coming back to his world. Guess I'm just a sucker for fantasy.


Yes but there's so much fantasy actually worth reading. Actually that's not true at all - but there is some.

Finished The Stand. Don't regret reading it, but wouldn't recommend it. Confirmed that Stephen King isn't for me. Some part of his writing grates on me - like listening to a good song that has an barely perceivably but eventually aggravating whine in the background. And now while I attempt to actually finish the half dozen books I've got going, I just bought Gibson's Virtual Light. Shit.


Do you have any recommendations?


Harder question than I thought it'd be, considering you're familiar with the two series that first come to mind when I think decent fantasy - A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle. And because I skew towards science fiction..

Okay. Two recs. Sabriel by Garth Nix. Haven't read a Nix book I didn't like. The first book in his Abhorsen trilogy, but works fine stand alone. Really enjoyed it when I read it as a kid. More young adult, but well worth reading.

Andrej Sapkowski is a Polish author who wrote a series back in the '90s that is slowly being translated to English. It gained prominence when it was adapted into a video game called "The Witcher". Read The Last Wish by Sapkowski. When you like it (not if), read Blood of Elves. Then hate your life as you wait agonizingly for the next book to be translated into English.

Oh shit. Wait. If you like massive tomes of high fantasy in the style of WoT, stop everything and read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. Do it now. This is the author that stepped in to finish the Wheel of Time, and while I don't usually go in for the giant sprawling decade-long fantasy epics..well, this one is different.

Happy reading.


Thanks for the recommendations, brosef. I've added them all to my list. :)
User avatar
Loop
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:01
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Daniel the Lion » 19 August 2013, 00:33

Mephisto wrote:
lou21 wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I read Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind yesterday and am currently "reading" Ovid's Metamorphoses.


I love the Sword of Truth series! I think Soul of the Fire isn't my favourite book there but the rest are just fantastic. I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings from the Game of Thrones series :D


I love the series too! I've been reading it piecemeal over the years since it's hard to find a bookstore that stocks them all, and I didn't want to fork over a bunch of money to buy them all initially, so now I just go from when I find them. Soul of the Fire was my least favourite by far; no epic climax and everyone's a horrid bitch or dies.


Ovids Metamorphoses! I love it! I might reread it sometime soon.

I quite liked the Sword of Truth series, but only the first few. After the 4th one I couldn't help but find it predictable. Neil Gaiman will always be one of my favourites though.

Tonight I will read:
Image

It's not something I usually read but, it was a random pick from my reading pile. I could do with something light anyway.
At that moment he leaned over my back, and after sliding into me whispered into my ear:

"No homo, just surprise buttsex"
User avatar
Daniel the Lion
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 18 August 2013, 07:30

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Hadrian » 21 August 2013, 06:34

Loop wrote:
Hadrian wrote:
Loop wrote:
Hadrian wrote:
Now I'm reading A Path of Daggers. Jeez, no matter how poorly Jordan writes his female characters, no matter how annoying the braid-pulling and beard-scratching and scarf-tightening gets, I keep coming back to his world. Guess I'm just a sucker for fantasy.


Yes but there's so much fantasy actually worth reading. Actually that's not true at all - but there is some.

Finished The Stand. Don't regret reading it, but wouldn't recommend it. Confirmed that Stephen King isn't for me. Some part of his writing grates on me - like listening to a good song that has an barely perceivably but eventually aggravating whine in the background. And now while I attempt to actually finish the half dozen books I've got going, I just bought Gibson's Virtual Light. Shit.


Do you have any recommendations?


Harder question than I thought it'd be, considering you're familiar with the two series that first come to mind when I think decent fantasy - A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle. And because I skew towards science fiction..

Okay. Two recs. Sabriel by Garth Nix. Haven't read a Nix book I didn't like. The first book in his Abhorsen trilogy, but works fine stand alone. Really enjoyed it when I read it as a kid. More young adult, but well worth reading.

Andrej Sapkowski is a Polish author who wrote a series back in the '90s that is slowly being translated to English. It gained prominence when it was adapted into a video game called "The Witcher". Read The Last Wish by Sapkowski. When you like it (not if), read Blood of Elves. Then hate your life as you wait agonizingly for the next book to be translated into English.

Oh shit. Wait. If you like massive tomes of high fantasy in the style of WoT, stop everything and read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. Do it now. This is the author that stepped in to finish the Wheel of Time, and while I don't usually go in for the giant sprawling decade-long fantasy epics..well, this one is different.

Happy reading.


Thanks for the recommendations, brosef. I've added them all to my list. :)


NP broski.
For we ourselves the cubits warp, for fear to be a king.
User avatar
Hadrian
 
Posts: 207
+1s received: 3
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:24
Location: LA
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby summerboy89 » 21 August 2013, 09:02

Just finished this one actually. For me, this book caught a lot of my attention as well as my emotion. Image
User avatar
summerboy89
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 19 August 2013, 11:06
Country: Indonesia (id)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Sherri » 22 August 2013, 16:56

Hadrian wrote:Finished The Stand. Don't regret reading it, but wouldn't recommend it. Confirmed that Stephen King isn't for me. Some part of his writing grates on me - like listening to a good song that has an barely perceivably but eventually aggravating whine in the background. And now while I attempt to actually finish the half dozen books I've got going, I just bought Gibson's Virtual Light. Shit.


I'm a very big SK fan and I wouldn't recommend The Stand to anyone either. I also was completely unenchanted with his Dark Tower series that everybody raves about. Perhaps try one of his other books before writing him off.

I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut at the moment. I didn't think I was going to like Vonnegut but I actually really do.
The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell ~

"Deeds such as these do not go unnoticed by the universe. They echo in all who hear them. That is why I am here."


Image
User avatar
Sherri
Moderator
 
Posts: 1302
+1s received: 642
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Derek » 22 August 2013, 17:12

My dad adores Vonnegut. Telling him I don't think he was all that great was harder than telling him I'm gay.

Steven King isn't someone you read unconditionally. His work ranges from great to crap. It's best to stick to the stories credited by major Hollywood adaptations. When I was thirteen I read his novella "Apt Pupil", which is about a boy who strikes up a friendship with an ex-Nazi and ends up killing hobos and committing suicide. It disturbed me more than anything else I've read.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 7033
+1s received: 2753
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Mephisto » 23 August 2013, 16:48

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind.

Also, whoever recommended Way of Kings to whomever above, :awesome:
Image
User avatar
Mephisto
 
Posts: 280
+1s received: 6
Joined: 25 December 2012, 19:37
Location: London
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Hadrian » 24 August 2013, 07:22

Dude. The next one comes out in November. Pysched. KALADIN STORMBLESSED FTW.
For we ourselves the cubits warp, for fear to be a king.
User avatar
Hadrian
 
Posts: 207
+1s received: 3
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:24
Location: LA
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Mephisto » 25 August 2013, 01:49

Hadrian wrote:Dude. The next one comes out in November. Pysched. KALADIN STORMBLESSED FTW.



Yeah, been waiting for this for three years! As long as I can finish my reread before then... :awesome:

I'm more of a Shallan boy, and I'm kind of infatuated with Szeth's storyline, but we'll see!
Image
User avatar
Mephisto
 
Posts: 280
+1s received: 6
Joined: 25 December 2012, 19:37
Location: London
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Hadrian » 26 August 2013, 07:21

Mephisto wrote:
Hadrian wrote:Dude. The next one comes out in November. Pysched. KALADIN STORMBLESSED FTW.



Yeah, been waiting for this for three years! As long as I can finish my reread before then... :awesome:

I'm more of a Shallan boy, and I'm kind of infatuated with Szeth's storyline, but we'll see!


Interesting - it was the exact opposite for me. Though no matter whose story it was within a dozen pages I was captivated, Shallan and Szeth were definitely the hardest for me. I'm dying to know what happens in the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
now merged Kaladin/Dalinar
storyline. Apparently the next book is focusing on Shallan, though :/.

Oh damn it. Apparently it got pushed back to early 2014. Ah well, after three years of waiting the next Witcher book has been translated into English and is coming out this week. Patience is a virtue.
For we ourselves the cubits warp, for fear to be a king.
User avatar
Hadrian
 
Posts: 207
+1s received: 3
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:24
Location: LA
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Edward » 28 August 2013, 20:34

Edward wrote:The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling.

I was reminded of this by a question on University Challenge the other week in which a review described it as '500 pages of Socialist Manifesto' so I thought I'd give it a read. I tend to enjoy satirising of Middle-Class England and the conflict of class. Quite a good book so far and it screams JK Rowling all over it.


It was actually quite good. A few nonsensical lines every now and again, but a funny and depressing read. I'm now more inclined to give The Cuckoo's Calling a read.

Now onto the book I've been intending to read for three years: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.
Formerly known as upthebracket
Edward
 
Posts: 868
+1s received: 6
Joined: 21 December 2012, 00:54
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Simon » 28 August 2013, 22:09

So, I recently discovered China Mieville (How did this take me so long? How did I miss him? How did this happen?), and I felt the need to share this here, because I did not know how amazing he was. So amazing! His concepts! His writing! His vividness! I have barreled through Perdido Street Station, Embassytown, Kraken, and The City & the City in the past few days, and I am on track to barrel through much more. This is so thrilling! New brilliant author with many unread works! I am so excited.
Derek wrote:I infer from your tone that an incisive blow has been dealt to my interpretation but I am unable to perceive it.
User avatar
Simon
Moderator
 
Posts: 1160
+1s received: 68
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread postby Hadrian » 26 September 2013, 04:51

If William GIbson says it's worth reading, I'm reading it.

Image
For we ourselves the cubits warp, for fear to be a king.
User avatar
Hadrian
 
Posts: 207
+1s received: 3
Joined: 22 December 2012, 04:24
Location: LA
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], CommonCrawl [Bot], Gregoryadush, Robertspils, Trendiction [Bot], Williegaimi and 59 guests