Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Discuss movies, television, music, games, media and popular culture generally.

Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 24 April 2018, 16:06

Hii foks!! Curious to know how yinz enjoy your music. What do you listen on? Tell me about it, lets talk about audio!! :)

I enjoy listening on various formats. Vinyl is probably my top favorite, then CD, then MD, MP3 and streaming. Have different systems. Currently enjoying a Creek 4040S2 powering Infinity Infinitesimal RS 0.1 with Infinity Infinitesimal Servo Sub. Sources at the moment are Rega P3 with Elys 2 cart and a Pioneer PD-4301.

Really excited to hear what folks listen on!! Don't be afraid to share. Audio is a journey and different for everyone. :)
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 24 April 2018, 16:48

I love the JL Audio on my boat. JL is better than Wetsounds. Sure Wetsounds wins out for overall volume but JL is way more clear and crisp.

BTW, the burg is the city where I grew up. Have not been back in too, too long.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3728
+1s received: 1832
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 24 April 2018, 16:52

mxguy01 wrote:I love the JL Audio on my boat. JL is better than Wetsounds. Sure Wetsounds wins out for overall volume but JL is way more clear and crisp.

BTW, the burg is the city where I grew up. Have not been back in too, too long.


That is wayyyyy cooolll mx!! :thumbsup: JL is great gear. The home audio subwoofer they made is unreal.
Do you miss Pittsburgh at all?
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 24 April 2018, 17:05

xrayspex78 wrote:
mxguy01 wrote:I love the JL Audio on my boat. JL is better than Wetsounds. Sure Wetsounds wins out for overall volume but JL is way more clear and crisp.

BTW, the burg is the city where I grew up. Have not been back in too, too long.


That is wayyyyy cooolll mx!! :thumbsup: JL is great gear. The home audio subwoofer they made is unreal.
Do you miss Pittsburgh at all?


JL makes marine components and yes the marine subwoofer is so awesome. It's right behind the driver's position so maybe that explains why I like it so much.

I went to Univ of Pittsburgh so I miss hanging out in Oakland, Squirrel Hill, the Cathedral of Learning, the church (food) Festivals, the view from Mt Washington, etc. I don't miss the shitty transportation system (horrible roads, pathetic public transportation), rain all summer long, etc. There is a motocross track that is south of Pittsburgh down by Mt Morris. They hold an national outdoor MX race and the track looks appealing so every once in a while I think about the possibility of moving back then sanity settles in I think "no way".
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3728
+1s received: 1832
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 24 April 2018, 19:17

Well I’m very pleased to meet ya mx!! Yep yep Pittsburgh sure is fun. I do agree about the weather and traffic. No fun!!
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby Hericoon » 24 April 2018, 20:36

I love CDs as long as the speakers are good ! Vinyls are pretty nice, just not very convenient, I mostly listen music with my ear plugs because it's easier (and also I'm NOT blasting my music in the subway lol) but they better be good, I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with my Huawei ear plugs
Hericoon
 
Posts: 36
+1s received: 12
Joined: 10 March 2018, 21:24
Country: France (fr)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 24 April 2018, 20:45

Hericoon wrote:I love CDs as long as the speakers are good ! Vinyls are pretty nice, just not very convenient, I mostly listen music with my ear plugs because it's easier (and also I'm NOT blasting my music in the subway lol) but they better be good, I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with my Huawei ear plugs


:thumbsup: earplugs are awesome man!! I use em myself. Good speakers are a must for sure!

Ah...vinyl. Yes I own about 600 or so. They involve a lot of things. Upkeep is one that comes to mind. Clean the record, dust the record. Clean the stylus. Maintain the turntable. Replace stylus when worn. Set up tonearm for cartridge with proper tracking force, anti-skate, height (if tonearm allows), etc. :gayblahblah:
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby lightnight » 25 April 2018, 03:37

Chinese earphones that I got for what would be USD 2. I'm happy with them.
Image
User avatar
lightnight
 
Posts: 1172
+1s received: 310
Joined: 18 May 2015, 02:39

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 25 April 2018, 03:40

With a nice Old Fashioned in one hand and a twink on my lap.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 7428
+1s received: 1515
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 25 April 2018, 03:46

ROTF LMAO
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3728
+1s received: 1832
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby sneax » 27 April 2018, 00:29

NOTHING is like an immersion during a concert.

Or IDM set, after 4 beers, where are only glitches left from my consciousness, the people all look like zombie already and I'm dancing like a madman
sneax
 
Posts: 6
+1s received: 4
Joined: 26 April 2018, 18:48

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby RJD » 2 May 2018, 17:46

Vinyl, then streaming. I love concerts, but I rarely enjoy general admission, and usually camp out at the bar (to sit, I’m usually the driver). We (me + husband + sister in law + her husband) go to one or two a month, it’s been our bonding custom for the past few years.
Image
User avatar
RJD
 
Posts: 363
+1s received: 420
Joined: 17 April 2018, 15:44
Location: California
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby mxguy01 » 2 May 2018, 17:50

I really like listening to music while doing things. In particular when I wakeboard and when I ski/snowboard. I have a waterproof iPod specifically for listening to music while I ride the wakeboard. Behind the boat and also at the cable park it is just so much better riding while jamming to tunes. Too dangerous to do it when I ride MX as I need to hear what is coming from behind.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3728
+1s received: 1832
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby GearFetTwinkRomance » 2 May 2018, 19:03

Since I was a little kid, I kind of composed my own music, so I like to do it myself most of the time.

If it comes to listening, it some when started out on grandma's old shellac records, mostly opera and operette. Later there was my folks few records - not my type of music, though. German Schlager and Volksmusik, not much alike anything, what would be called Folk nowadays, it's more a commercial type of junk sound, really. I was exposed, so to say.
My taste has been with classical and medieval music a long time, and then there came a short period of metal, before I dove into House and Electro, Trance, Goa, Ambient, Lounge, Hardstyle and basically Technoid styles a lot.

And so I like to listen to it LOUD and with some subwoofing power, whenever I can.
Unfortunately I never had much of an vinyl experience.
I knew a techno and trance DJ when I was like 27 and I came about with his gang a lot. I would be his record caddy at times, when he went to clubs to spin his "dark trance" stuff. So I did listen to vinyl a lot, I just never got it for my own, and I'm too stupid to handle the players.
So I took to CD sound and later mp3, although I think there's a difference in sound qualities, especially CD's will sound like "overdone" or finalised too tight, or what to call this. And mp3, of course, with a certain range of frequencies cut off and thinned away. Even the finest mp3, I often think, it sounds thinned out in the whole sphere of sound.
Could be I'm gone picky, too.
There was a brief time when I had these MC tapes as a kid, and I'd record on tapes from radio sound and playing the keys.
That's been horrible a listening experience, but as a kid, everyone else had just that. Not many kids had a vinyl record player going.

Best, of course, to listen to music, would be live.
If they're open air, or, in a place that's been set up for the audience properly.
This can be so tricky. The way, sound will unfold in the wrong or right conditions, I mean.

So I like different settings, I like it at home just from CD or computer and earphones, and I like the club ambience at times, I like concert and live play / sung at the camp fire and people playing the guitar or cello. I rarely spend a day without music. If I can't listen to some, I make my own.

http://www.myownmusic.biz/starboarder/p ... gid=315908
If ya want to hang with me, let's go windsurfing!
User avatar
GearFetTwinkRomance
 
Posts: 626
+1s received: 235
Joined: 8 January 2018, 10:08
Location: Seashore Baltic "dolphin bay"
Country: Germany (de)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 3 May 2018, 08:53

RJD wrote:Vinyl, then streaming. I love concerts, but I rarely enjoy general admission, and usually camp out at the bar (to sit, I’m usually the driver). We (me + husband + sister in law + her husband) go to one or two a month, it’s been our bonding custom for the past few years.


A vinyl listener! Tell me about your set up man! What kind of turntable do you have? Concerts are a blast haven't been to one for a long time.
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 3 May 2018, 09:24

GearFetTwinkRomance wrote:Since I was a little kid, I kind of composed my own music, so I like to do it myself most of the time.

If it comes to listening, it some when started out on grandma's old shellac records, mostly opera and operette. Later there was my folks few records - not my type of music, though. German Schlager and Volksmusik, not much alike anything, what would be called Folk nowadays, it's more a commercial type of junk sound, really. I was exposed, so to say.
My taste has been with classical and medieval music a long time, and then there came a short period of metal, before I dove into House and Electro, Trance, Goa, Ambient, Lounge, Hardstyle and basically Technoid styles a lot.

And so I like to listen to it LOUD and with some subwoofing power, whenever I can.
Unfortunately I never had much of an vinyl experience.
I knew a techno and trance DJ when I was like 27 and I came about with his gang a lot. I would be his record caddy at times, when he went to clubs to spin his "dark trance" stuff. So I did listen to vinyl a lot, I just never got it for my own, and I'm too stupid to handle the players.
So I took to CD sound and later mp3, although I think there's a difference in sound qualities, especially CD's will sound like "overdone" or finalised too tight, or what to call this. And mp3, of course, with a certain range of frequencies cut off and thinned away. Even the finest mp3, I often think, it sounds thinned out in the whole sphere of sound.
Could be I'm gone picky, too.
There was a brief time when I had these MC tapes as a kid, and I'd record on tapes from radio sound and playing the keys.
That's been horrible a listening experience, but as a kid, everyone else had just that. Not many kids had a vinyl record player going.

Best, of course, to listen to music, would be live.
If they're open air, or, in a place that's been set up for the audience properly.
This can be so tricky. The way, sound will unfold in the wrong or right conditions, I mean.

So I like different settings, I like it at home just from CD or computer and earphones, and I like the club ambience at times, I like concert and live play / sung at the camp fire and people playing the guitar or cello. I rarely spend a day without music. If I can't listen to some, I make my own.

http://www.myownmusic.biz/starboarder/p ... gid=315908


This was a very enjoyable read! Shellac records were never really great in my opinion. Had a few but they were a real pain in the ass to keep. Easily broken.

Classical music and opera can be a lot of fun. I enjoy Carmina Burana a lot. It's a very vast genre and its extremely surprising that a lot of modern artists were inspired by it. For example Emerson Lake and Palmer. Keith Emerson from my understanding was heavily influenced by classical music. It really shows in their music.

I like it loud sometimes too. Efficiency is the name of the game in that realm. A speaker with something well over 95db efficiency will surely do the job easily. Subwoofers are usually a necessary component in audio. Especially if you are listening to a lot of classical pieces that subwoofer can give you the experience of being there in the concert hall. Without it you miss out on a lot of subtle things that most full range speakers can not deliver.
Turntables can be a nusance sometimes. They are definitely delicate machines that require a lot of care. I feel some folks get into the vinyl game for all the wrong reasons. It's a very high maintenace media. Can become very costly the further you go with it.

CD and MP3 have been called cold, sterile, thin as you say and all sorts of things. Its very dependent on the pre-amp, amp/integrated or receiver, speakers, and even cables as well. Some folks use a DAC with their players. Tube DACs are a big thing in audio. Also with CD players it is also dependent on dampening the vibration factors which can cause problems with playback. Not talking about a CD skipping but rather causing distortion and coloration of the sound that is generally not desired. You're not picky you just desire something that sounds good or can get you close enough to what was heard in the studio or performance.

Nice compositions you did by the way!! :thumbsup: Those were wayyyy cool man! Like that you compose your own music!

All that ever matters in audio is the golden rule all of us audio folk use:

If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters. This why I didn't make fun or put anyone down with their responses. There is no wrong way to enjoy music. Just like talking with folks about music and audio. They are my passion.

P.S. my signature is audio related. Acoustic Research was a speaker company on the forefront of cutting edge technology in the 50's. Edgar Villchur and Henry E. Kloss were pioneer's in speaker technology. They developed the very first acoustic suspension speaker system known as the AR-1. Henry E. Kloss is a very highly celebrated audio engineer famed for his work with Acoustic Research, KLH, Advent, and Cambridge Soundworks. One of his most popular speakers was the Advent Large and is still raved about to this day like a 56 Bel-Air is considered a timeless classic. I have owned a pair of these and they really are as venerable as they say.

My Infinity's I mention in my first post are Anrie Nudell era Infinity. Unfortunately we lost Arnie in November of last year :cry:
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby RJD » 3 May 2018, 23:12

xrayspex78 wrote:A vinyl listener! Tell me about your set up man! What kind of turntable do you have? Concerts are a blast haven't been to one for a long time.



I'm totally the wrong person to ask that question :) I know I bought him an Audio Technica table, that is wired into the speakers we have in the walls and ceiling throughout the house (he picked all of those, I just know how to use them). I do like that I can target whole house, or just specific rooms, but the vinyl has gotten a bit out of hand (I'm attaching what he has bought this year. He has even stolen a shelf from me in my book case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
User avatar
RJD
 
Posts: 363
+1s received: 420
Joined: 17 April 2018, 15:44
Location: California
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 3 May 2018, 23:47

RJD wrote:
xrayspex78 wrote:A vinyl listener! Tell me about your set up man! What kind of turntable do you have? Concerts are a blast haven't been to one for a long time.



I'm totally the wrong person to ask that question :) I know I bought him an Audio Technica table, that is wired into the speakers we have in the walls and ceiling throughout the house (he picked all of those, I just know how to use them). I do like that I can target whole house, or just specific rooms, but the vinyl has gotten a bit out of hand (I'm attaching what he has bought this year. He has even stolen a shelf from me in my book case.


Mmmmm Audio Technica. A fine turntable. They made the tonearm on my Technics turntable. Sayyy I see Bjork, Madonna, Tori Amos, Hole Live Through This, Garbage Strange Little Birds, oooo and Amanda Palmer!!! I’m wondering am I correct or wrong that I see Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your Bones? I like your decor by the way :thumbsupwink:
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby xrayspex78 » 3 May 2018, 23:55

22B0EEDB-78AB-4915-A8DD-B11309E8997D.jpeg
E362481A-176C-46D5-8BE7-3EFC87B112B0.jpeg


I know how you feel with things getting out of hand.
This is upstairs in a dedicated listening room of my home. There are about 600 LPs here maybe more. The system in this room is my main system. It consists of

Naim NAC 112 pre
Naim NAP 150 amp
Naim CD5 CD player
Naim NACA5 speaker cables
Naim interconnects
Epos ES-11 speakers with matching stands
Technics SP-15 turntable with Audio Technica ATP-12T tonearm with Denon DL-103 cartridge through a Schiit Mani phono pre amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I got no trophies on display
I sign them away
I mean what the heck”

-Pretenders
xrayspex78
 
Posts: 1301
+1s received: 1156
Joined: 24 April 2018, 15:18
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States (us)

Re: Audio: How do you like to enjoy your music?

Unread postby RJD » 4 May 2018, 00:05

xrayspex78 wrote:Sayyy I see Bjork, Madonna, Tori Amos, Hole Live Through This, Garbage Strange Little Birds, oooo and Amanda Palmer!!! I’m wondering am I correct or wrong that I see Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your Bones? I like your decor by the way :thumbsupwink:


Yes to all. Tori, Hole, Amanda, and Garbage are mine, we share Bjork and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've never been big on Madonna.
Image
User avatar
RJD
 
Posts: 363
+1s received: 420
Joined: 17 April 2018, 15:44
Location: California
Country: United States (us)

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 5 guests