TV Show of the Moment

Discuss movies, television, music, games, media and popular culture generally.

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 28 December 2017, 19:22

rxxli wrote:
PopTart wrote:
Romford Guys wrote:Star Trek: Discovery

It probably helped that we went in with low expectations......needless to say we were pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek, was practically raised on it, but I wish they'd just let it die with dignity.

I shouldn't say that, having not seen the new show, but after Enterprise, well. I just feel that other sci-fi is more relevant, more dynamic and less hindered by established canon and expectation.

Problem is that they are trying so desperately to create prequels instead of actually continuing the stories. Enterprise was for me an awesome show. But with Discovery they pretty much gave us the same story packaged in a different box. I think the writers and producers don't have any more ideas on where to take the show. Though the viewers of today are probably also the problem. Star-Trek was never really too action packed - it was almost boring. Show like this wouldn't really work today. People don't have the attention span. I personally would love to see a show continue after the return of the Voyager. Sticking to the original material where possible and not trying too much to change what star-trek is.

Discovery isn't a terrible show, but breaks so many things in the established universe that it hurts. At least it feels like star-trek compared to the new movies. On the other hand we see a war going on. But that war doesn't really seem too war-like. The epic large scale battles of DS9 were much better at portraying war. Not to mention that it didn't feel rushed.

I agree with this. Enterprise started to work for me, when they got away from the sensationalist and tired terrorism plot in seasons 2 & 3 and actually got into the really interesting dynamics of the founding races fo the federation, that was interesting and fun, seeing the arrogance of the early vulcans, gave that race a fresh and deeper characterisation, the Andorians again, were portrayed to well and the Telerites are just different for Trek. Those were stories I found ineresting and engaging, alien space terrorists, not so much and that was what killed the show, along with some of the temporal cold war plots. Time travel doesn't work well in most shows, unless it's handled really well.

I too would prefer a post Voyager story line, but as you say. I don't think, classic Star Trek has the buzz, that modern audiences expect and I find the contrived buzz in the latest Star Trek iterations, to be quite the antithesis of what i always envisioned Star Trek to be.

There was a fan film/series in the pipework, called Axanar, that looked like it would have been pretty damn good, but they were forced to cease and desist, because Discovery was in the pipeline and dealt with similar stuff (I believe)

For the moment, Star Trek still has some prestige and dignity left to it. I'd prefer the owners stop trying to bleed that reputation dry with bad remakes, reboots and bell ringing, carcass dragging, cash calls.

It wont happen though. They'll bleed it till it's a shadow of it's former self. :argh:
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby KindredKnight » 29 December 2017, 04:16

.
Last edited by KindredKnight on 5 January 2018, 21:50, edited 2 times in total.
Live fast, Die young, Bad girls do it well
User avatar
KindredKnight
 
Posts: 32
+1s received: 3
Joined: 14 December 2017, 04:08
Country: United States (us)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 30 December 2017, 01:26

Netflixes Dark

Well the title definitely isn't a lie. Holy fuck, this show is really creepy. Dead kids, disappearing kids, time travel (I think), creepy strangers, dead animals, nuclear power plant, ... I am up to episode 4 and I still don't exactly know what is going on. The first episode seemed normal and not supernatural at all. Although the fact that it starts in 2019 seemed a bit weird. Then we suddenly got time travel in episode three. I am quite intrigued to see what will happen next.

It's another great German TV show. And if that's not your style you have the option to switch to the English dub. But it's quite noticeably a dub which I just can't stand. Not to mention that I know how Louis Hofmann sounds and that dub just didn't sound like him. So I suggest that you see it with the original German sound and just use subtitles.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4263
+1s received: 231
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby mxguy01 » 30 December 2017, 01:35

I started watching Orphan Black too. It a pretty decent show.
---
I love to travel but hate to arrive -- Albert Einstein
---
The only thing worse than an Did Not Finish (DNF) is an Did Not Start (DNS). ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
User avatar
mxguy01
 
Posts: 3727
+1s received: 1832
Joined: 23 October 2017, 23:12
Location: NorCal
Country: United States (us)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 1 January 2018, 03:16

Just watched the season finale of Dark. This was awesome. I mean they somehow managed to explain everything and nothing at the same time. I love how messy the whole time travel thing is. There is no magic time machine to keep everything nice and tidy. No, the timelines are just completely fucked up. And of course the finale cliffhanger was even more fucked up :lol: .

The complete show can basically be summarized in this line of a conversation:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 04.07.13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4263
+1s received: 231
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby Severelius » 11 January 2018, 21:36

Just started watching The End of the F***ing World on Netflix. I'm intrigued to see how it plays out but Alyssa the female lead is already, in episode 2, kind of pissing me off. It's a weird dynamic when the other lead is a self-admitted psychopath who is only doing anything because he wants to murder her, and I find myself kind of hoping it ends with him doing that because she's like a grating "teenager who hates everything for no reason whatsoever" stereotype which I hope is the point.

Update upon finishing the series (yeah it's only short): It got so much better oh my god.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 2852
+1s received: 212
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 12 January 2018, 11:19

rxxli wrote:Just watched the season finale of Dark. This was awesome. I mean they somehow managed to explain everything and nothing at the same time. I love how messy the whole time travel thing is. There is no magic time machine to keep everything nice and tidy. No, the timelines are just completely fucked up. And of course the finale cliffhanger was even more fucked up :lol: .

The complete show can basically be summarized in this line of a conversation:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 04.07.13.png


I had to read that twice to get it! :D Sounds intrigueing, might have to try it!
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 14 January 2018, 22:13

PopTart wrote:I had to read that twice to get it! :D Sounds intrigueing, might have to try it!

Definitely.




Merlí - It's a Catalan sort-off high school drama TV show. It centers around a high school philosophy teacher called Merlí. He is a bit weird. slightly crazy and always a funny character. And a huge womanizer. He teaches a class that includes his son. His son that is both cute and gay :lol: . I like the comedy in the show. But the main character is also a good teacher that really wants to help his students. It's not a super realistic show, but not over the top dramatic either.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4263
+1s received: 231
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 19 January 2018, 14:42

Binge watching The Blacklist, season 4, after a long hiatus from the show. I just love James Spader! The character of Reddington is just sooo delicious. I could lie in bed with that man, listening to his wonderful tales forever and a day! His little speeches, monologues and various ruminations are just so mesmerising. Also liked his sleazy character in Boston Legal, loved the dynamic between him and Shatner, who I'm pretty sure was just playing himself lol
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 3 February 2018, 01:52

PopTart wrote:Binge watching The Blacklist, season 4, after a long hiatus from the show. I just love James Spader! The character of Reddington is just sooo delicious. I could lie in bed with that man, listening to his wonderful tales forever and a day! His little speeches, monologues and various ruminations are just so mesmerising. Also liked his sleazy character in Boston Legal, loved the dynamic between him and Shatner, who I'm pretty sure was just playing himself lol

I really enjoyed the first 4 seasons of the blacklist. But season 5 has quite a low priority for now :lol: .




I watched series finale of Merlì a few hours ago. The finale was both heartwarming and happy and sad as fuck. But overall the show was awesome. I didn't like season 3 as much as the other two, but it was still an awesome show.




I've also watched the first two episodes of Rita. Both Merlì and Rita have a similar story (not surprising seeing how Merlì was influenced by Rita). I mean both are weird teachers, both have cute gay sons, both are adored by the students and kind of cause troubles wherever they go, ... I am liking it for now. The first two episodes weren't as exciting as the first episode of Merlì, but it is definitely an interesting show. And I am certain that I will like it a lot when I get used to it.

Basically... international television has finally stepped up their game. They have exciting stories instead of rehashing the same generic plots filled with cheesy scenes, big budget effects and shitty acting. And they are not annoying action heroes either. They instead focus on what is important - high quality drama.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4263
+1s received: 231
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 4 February 2018, 10:10

Cherry picking episodes of Babylon 5, the acting is cheesy in places and i know most of the episodes by rote, but some of the writing is just sublime and one or two of the characters are examples of character arcs done right!

Plus flashy space battles and lasers and shit, Pew pew. Yay. :D
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby rxxli » 4 February 2018, 14:59

PopTart wrote:Cherry picking episodes of Babylon 5, the acting is cheesy in places and i know most of the episodes by rote, but some of the writing is just sublime and one or two of the characters are examples of character arcs done right!

Plus flashy space battles and lasers and shit, Pew pew. Yay. :D

Ugh Babylon 5. The whole thing to me looked more like a cheap variant of Star-Trek. Very cheap variant - from acting to cringe worthy CGI (even for the time). I did watch the whole thing, but if I am honest I can't really remember much of it.
Image
User avatar
rxxli
 
Posts: 4263
+1s received: 231
Joined: 21 December 2012, 21:33
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 5 February 2018, 12:38

rxxli wrote:
PopTart wrote:Cherry picking episodes of Babylon 5, the acting is cheesy in places and i know most of the episodes by rote, but some of the writing is just sublime and one or two of the characters are examples of character arcs done right!

Plus flashy space battles and lasers and shit, Pew pew. Yay. :D

Ugh Babylon 5. The whole thing to me looked more like a cheap variant of Star-Trek. Very cheap variant - from acting to cringe worthy CGI (even for the time). I did watch the whole thing, but if I am honest I can't really remember much of it.

To each their own. I found the consistant story arcs, the more realistic interpretation of future humans and the occasional character development, to be something Star Trek never accomplished. I like Star Trek, don't get me wrong, but it was sometimes too much an idealised version of ourselves, a little bit too morally superior, too clean and shiny. I still feel that no space based sci-fi has done the entire series story arc as well as B5 did it. DS9 came close, but when it got it's hands dirty, it always felt like it was holding back. I don't include Stargate in this, as I see it as being slightly different. The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica was alright, but it tried too hard at times.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby Severelius » 6 February 2018, 19:16

In light of the new trailer for season 2 dropping during the Superbowl I am so considering bingeing my way through season 1 of Westworld again because god I just love it so goddamn much.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 2852
+1s received: 212
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 7 February 2018, 11:14

Thinking of doing the same, but I might wait until closer the release date for season 2.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby Brenden » 7 February 2018, 15:56

Really into Mindhunter at the moment. (Finally something I can watch on my own without René getting drawn in and wanting to watch it too. :P )
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 6488
+1s received: 1397
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby PopTart » 8 February 2018, 11:07

Brenden wrote:Really into Mindhunter at the moment. (Finally something I can watch on my own without René getting drawn in and wanting to watch it too. :P )

Surely it's more fun to watch together right? Unless one of the two of you starts getting ahead, or is René one of those people who has to ask incessant questions throughout :P
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 2516
+1s received: 2114
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby René » 8 February 2018, 15:49

PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:Really into Mindhunter at the moment. (Finally something I can watch on my own without René getting drawn in and wanting to watch it too. :P )

Surely it's more fun to watch together right? Unless one of the two of you starts getting ahead, or is René one of those people who has to ask incessant questions throughout :P

René is one of those people who aren't terribly interested in crime shows. :P
ImageImage
User avatar
René
Administrator
 
Posts: 4450
+1s received: 1003
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby Brenden » 9 February 2018, 00:34

René wrote:
PopTart wrote:
Brenden wrote:Really into Mindhunter at the moment. (Finally something I can watch on my own without René getting drawn in and wanting to watch it too. :P )

Surely it's more fun to watch together right? Unless one of the two of you starts getting ahead, or is René one of those people who has to ask incessant questions throughout :P

René is one of those people who aren't terribly interested in crime shows. :P

PopTart's question is more general, and the answer is that yes watching stuff together is nice, but then we both have to have synchronised free time, and it would further increase our backlog of content we each want to consume!
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 6488
+1s received: 1397
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: TV Show of the Moment

Unread postby Derek » 9 February 2018, 01:00

Over the Garden Wall. How had I never learned about this? The soundtrack is so lovely.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 5202
+1s received: 1409
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], erti, Yandex [Bot] and 15 guests