2020 Presidential Election | General

Discuss the news, current events, politics, etc.

If the election were held today and you could vote in it, who would you vote for?

Donald Trump (Republican)
1
7%
Joe Biden (Democratic)
10
67%
Jo Jorgensen (Libertarian)
1
7%
Howie Hawkins (Green)
0
No votes
Brock Pierce (independent)
0
No votes
Kanye West (Birthday Party)
1
7%
other (e.g., write-in)
2
13%
 
Total votes : 15

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Brenden » 30 September 2020, 17:19

Maybe I'll make a longer post about it when my headache abates, but I've literally had a headache since staying up last night to watch it.

Trump was his usual bombastic self. Biden was his usual sleepy self. The only time Biden got animated was when Trump mentioned his sons.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8207
+1s received: 2920
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby PopTart » 30 September 2020, 17:57

Don't feel compelled to Brenden!

I suppose I was wondering if it there was anything unexpectedly profound, that might warrant going pit of my way to search out a replay of the debate, but from what you say, it sounds, pretty much as one would expect.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 3066
+1s received: 2497
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 30 September 2020, 19:08

I've only seen clips, but I think the two main takeaways were that Trump was asked to condemn a white supremacist group and he praised them instead, and Biden was asked to condemn Antifa and he instead said it's an idea and not an organization, which was surprisingly cogent of him.

I just... I really hate my country. Feels bad man.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Brenden » 30 September 2020, 19:13

Image
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8207
+1s received: 2920
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 1 October 2020, 02:00

I want to hijack this thread momentarily to vent about how much I can't stand the r/accounting sub. Every time a news story breaks about, say, Amazon paying no tax or Trump paying no tax, r/accounting latches on to the misconceptions expressed by other commenters to wave away the whole story as a bunch of misinformed rubes raving about what they don't understand. I think my most downvoted comment ever was when I said that just because people don't understand what "net operating loss rollover" is doesn't mean that it's not unfair or exploitative that companies and individuals with massive amounts of power and influence are permitted to pay nothing into the system they functionally control.

Accountants - public accountants, anyway - are the worst white-collar people. They are soulless climbers. Just the wretched courtesans of wealth, who think that because they're close enough to sniff at it means they've attained it. I have more respect for corporate lawyers, because at least they know they're grifters.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Brenden » 1 October 2020, 12:37

I just got a letter from my local authority in the US telling me my polling location has been moved… to another town over. WTF? The new polling location is not within easy walking distance of my old address in the US. The letter says there's ample parking at the new location and they don't expect there to be long lines. So… I guess you need a car to vote in the US now? Whether there's parking is the main consideration they give for choosing polling locations‽

I remember in my childhood that like every elementary school was a polling location. They're usually within walking distance of everyone. But now it's a middle school in the next town over!

"Democracy" in America is a sham.

Compare this to the UK where there are polling locations dotted all over the place, always within easy walking distance of every residence, and you get a poll card in the post before every election clearly detailing the date of the election, your polling location, its opening times, and a simple map showing where it is.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8207
+1s received: 2920
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby rogonandi » 1 October 2020, 14:09

Brenden wrote:I just got a letter from my local authority in the US telling me my polling location has been moved… to another town over. WTF? The new polling location is not within easy walking distance of my old address in the US. The letter says there's ample parking at the new location and they don't expect there to be long lines. So… I guess you need a car to vote in the US now? Whether there's parking is the main consideration they give for choosing polling locations‽

I remember in my childhood that like every elementary school was a polling location. They're usually within walking distance of everyone. But now it's a middle school in the next town over!

"Democracy" in America is a sham.

Compare this to the UK where there are polling locations dotted all over the place, always within easy walking distance of every residence, and you get a poll card in the post before every election clearly detailing the date of the election, your polling location, its opening times, and a simple map showing where it is.

In Canada when we vote, the voting stations change all the time but they’re never far away and certainly not the next town over.
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1752
+1s received: 1224
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Eryx » 1 October 2020, 23:28

Derek wrote:Accountants - public accountants, anyway - are the worst white-collar people. They are soulless climbers. Just the wretched courtesans of wealth, who think that because they're close enough to sniff at it means they've attained it. I have more respect for corporate lawyers, because at least they know they're grifters.
Well duh, why do you think Douglas Adams included them in his book as one of the things everyone in the Universe is angry about?
Image

Image Image Image

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
— Harlan Ellison
User avatar
Eryx
 
Posts: 2731
+1s received: 1697
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:48
Location: Belo Horizonte, MG
Country: Brazil (br)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 3 October 2020, 23:18

I wonder how people on twitter reconcile these thoughts:

1. Trump is a RACIST and FASCIST who is DESTROYING America. He is an illegitimate president whose criminal administration works everyday to undermine the prosperity and security of our nation. He has the blood of thousands on his hands, and we must do whatever it takes to remove him from office, even if it means compromising our values.

2. Aww srry bby, hope you feel better soon - hugs and kisses :hug: :heart:
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 4 October 2020, 00:33

It’s the idea that to be a better person you must forgive and be forgiving. Blame Christianity and Oprah.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9161
+1s received: 2411
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Severelius » 4 October 2020, 11:12

I'm not convinced anyone of any prominence in Democratic politics actually genuinely feels bad for Trump because he is the most unsympathetic cretin in the world.

It's just one of those generic things you say when someone gets ill because being seen to be the better man plays better with the broader electorate than "fuck you, I hope you die so I can drink wine from your skull!"
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 3880
+1s received: 825
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Brenden » 4 October 2020, 15:19

Ew, nasty. No matter how clean you get it it would still be Trump’s skull.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 8207
+1s received: 2920
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Maryland, USA / Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 4 October 2020, 19:15

Severelius wrote:I'm not convinced anyone of any prominence in Democratic politics actually genuinely feels bad for Trump because he is the most unsympathetic cretin in the world.

It's just one of those generic things you say when someone gets ill because being seen to be the better man plays better with the broader electorate than "fuck you, I hope you die so I can drink wine from your skull!"

It still directly contradicts the previous message. If you believe someone is guilty of mass manslaughter, you don't wish them well. Why aim for dissonance? How is that supposed to play well with anyone whose entire politics isn't that they just fetishize civility? What is being seen as the "better man" by those idiots worth?
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 4 October 2020, 20:20

Maybe they don’t process his handling of the pandemic as mass slaughter.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9161
+1s received: 2411
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Jzone » 4 October 2020, 20:24

As vile as Trump is as an individual — and as disastrous as his administration has been — he still represents and has the support of a surprising number of Americans. That is why it is important to express some measure of compassion for the cretin, even if it is fake. To do otherwise is to risk alienating too many people for most politicians. Hillary learned that the hard way when she referred to Trump's "basket of deplorables."
Just an everyday boy — doing everyday things
User avatar
Jzone
 
Posts: 1207
+1s received: 1412
Joined: 21 October 2017, 17:58
Location: USA, Washington State
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 4 October 2020, 20:37

poolerboy0077 wrote:Maybe they don’t process his handling of the pandemic as mass slaughter.

They've only said they do over and over, and there are plenty of other crimes to fall back on.

Jzone wrote:As vile as Trump is as an individual — and as disastrous as his administration has been — he still represents and has the support of a surprising number of Americans. That is why it is important to express some measure of compassion for the cretin, even if it is fake. To do otherwise is to risk alienating too many people for most politicians. Hillary learned that the hard way when she referred to Trump's "basket of deplorables."

So why not just say nothing? Why go out of your way to diminish your own rhetoric, placate the worst people in your base, and humiliate yourself by wishing well for a man who would never wish well for you? Do libs really think republicans are going to see Obama's tweets and be like "Gosh, we were wrong about him"?
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby PopTart » 4 October 2020, 21:20

Perhaps it's about demonstrating the compassion and dignity, that Trumps detractors often believe they possess, where Trump does not.

Perhaps it highlights that, when all is said and done, despite the fact that bad people make bad choices, doesn't mean that good people should do the same.

The world could do with more dignity, respect and politeness, even if it is a thinly veiled facade. That facade might just inspire some genuine compassion and thats worth plenty in my estimation, while bashing on a broken man and gloating over his misfortune, no matter how well deserved it might be, probably says alot about those doing the gloating.
ImageImage
User avatar
PopTart
 
Posts: 3066
+1s received: 2497
Joined: 12 December 2017, 11:15
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 4 October 2020, 21:44

PopTart wrote:Perhaps it's about demonstrating the compassion and dignity, that Trumps detractors often believe they possess, where Trump does not.

You and Jzone have already said that the best justification for this is optics. You don't think they're more likely to (correctly) identify the whole thing as disingenuous and supercilious? Why wouldn't they if it's true? The only ones eating this slop are the libs.

PopTart wrote:Perhaps it highlights that, when all is said and done, despite the fact that bad people make bad choices, doesn't mean that good people should do the same.

Pretend for the sake of argument that what people say about this has an effect on the outcome. If you believe that Trump is a monstrous psychopathic narcissist who is ruining the country and whose failed leadership has resulted in the deaths of thousands... how is it a "bad choice" to prefer his death?

PopTart wrote:The world could do with more dignity, respect and politeness, even if it is a thinly veiled facade. That facade might just inspire some genuine compassion and thats worth plenty in my estimation, while bashing on a broken man and gloating over his misfortune, no matter how well deserved it might be, probably says alot about those doing the gloating.

"Broken man"? He's literally the most powerful person in the world, who has spent the last few months planning how to undermine the democratic process so he can remain in power.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. All this shows that people don't actually believe the things they say about him. They don't hate him or fear him, they just don't like how obnoxious he is. Meanwhile we're told over and over that we have to suck it up and support Biden. Why? Obviously democrats don't actually care, as if their choice of Biden didn't prove that already. They only thing they care about is getting back to "normal", the thing MLK described as the "negative peace which is the absence of tension". It is incredibly demoralizing.
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby Derek » 4 October 2020, 22:09

User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6475
+1s received: 2440
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: 2020 Presidential Election | General

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 4 October 2020, 22:44

Derek wrote:
PopTart wrote:Perhaps it's about demonstrating the compassion and dignity, that Trumps detractors often believe they possess, where Trump does not.

You and Jzone have already said that the best justification for this is optics. You don't think they're more likely to (correctly) identify the whole thing as disingenuous and supercilious? Why wouldn't they if it's true? The only ones eating this slop are the libs.

I mean, libs are all about the virtue signaling. Sometimes right-wingers hit the nail on the head in their description of the left. This is one of them.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9161
+1s received: 2411
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 40 guests