UK Politics in General

Discuss the news, current events, politics, etc.

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Severelius » 27 March 2021, 12:21

Marmaduke wrote:You have a speech impediment? We’ve met. We’ve spoken face to face. This is news to me.

I was definitely stuttering a lot that day, so I really don't know what to tell you here. :shrug:
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5012
+1s received: 1355
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Marmaduke » 27 March 2021, 12:29

I’m sorry, I have no recollection. And I trust my recollection over your lifelong experience, obviously. So it must all be in your head.
User avatar
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 8702
+1s received: 3394
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Severelius » 27 March 2021, 12:35

Marmaduke wrote:I’m sorry, I have no recollection. And I trust my recollection over your lifelong experience, obviously. So it must all be in your head.

The weird thing is the way I imagine myself is often demonstrably worse than the reality so it is entirely possible that my speech impediment isn't, or at least wasn't on that particular day, as bad as I imagine/remember it being.

OT: The Alba Party already has it's first MP in Westminster. Kenny MacAskill of the SNP has defected. That didn't take long.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5012
+1s received: 1355
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Smith35 » 27 March 2021, 13:16

We think expelling Jeremy Corbyn from the Labor Party will finally end the endless little civil war?
Smith35
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 March 2021, 13:07
Country: Germany (de)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Severelius » 27 March 2021, 13:21

Smith35 wrote:We think expelling Jeremy Corbyn from the Labor Party will finally end the endless little civil war?

He's had the Labour Whip suspended since October and objectively the civil war has continued at basically full force regardless. That party's problems run way deeper than just one bloke. His leadership helped expose the underlying ideological pissing match that was always threatening to just tear Labour apart for ages but it's grown beyond just being about him as a singular person now.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5012
+1s received: 1355
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Brenden » 27 March 2021, 18:01

Severelius wrote:The Alba Party already has it's first MP in Westminster. Kenny MacAskill of the SNP has defected. That didn't take long.

Hm.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9184
+1s received: 3556
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Magic J » 27 March 2021, 22:28

Brenden wrote:
Severelius wrote:The Alba Party already has it's first MP in Westminster. Kenny MacAskill of the SNP has defected. That didn't take long.

Hm.

Oi, SNP member. What's the membership saying about all this? I have a feeling that this venture might fall flat, and the majority of SNP supporters I've talked to (myself included) likely won't vote Alba on list as it currently stands, but I know a few people that will. Mostly people who're frustrated with what they see as an overly comfortable SNP and who want to go balls-to-the-wall succession, and a smaller number in the Wings Over Scotland crowd who believe that Sturgeon's a Tory psy-op or something (I'm a bit vague on the details of this conspiracy). Maybe there's still a few Salmond admirers in the mix?

Today's News from the Meme Front: they're using domain name albaparty.org, and apparently some rascal claimed the domain albaparty.scot and redirected it to the SNP's webpage. :lol:
Problematic Fave
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1819
+1s received: 1393
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Severelius » 28 March 2021, 02:07

Alba Party currently now at 2 Members of Parliament.

Neale Hanvey also left the SNP to join Alba.
User avatar
Severelius
 
Posts: 5012
+1s received: 1355
Joined: 6 May 2014, 20:49
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Brenden » 29 March 2021, 20:37

Magic J wrote:
Brenden wrote:
Severelius wrote:The Alba Party already has it's first MP in Westminster. Kenny MacAskill of the SNP has defected. That didn't take long.

Hm.

Oi, SNP member. What's the membership saying about all this? I have a feeling that this venture might fall flat, and the majority of SNP supporters I've talked to (myself included) likely won't vote Alba on list as it currently stands, but I know a few people that will. Mostly people who're frustrated with what they see as an overly comfortable SNP and who want to go balls-to-the-wall succession, and a smaller number in the Wings Over Scotland crowd who believe that Sturgeon's a Tory psy-op or something (I'm a bit vague on the details of this conspiracy). Maybe there's still a few Salmond admirers in the mix?

Today's News from the Meme Front: they're using domain name albaparty.org, and apparently some rascal claimed the domain albaparty.scot and redirected it to the SNP's webpage. :lol:

Well, I'm personally only a member of the SNP myself out of expedience, as I feel independence is the prime issue that must be dealt with before Scotland can truely deal with anything else. I don't very much like some of the identitarian stances the party has taken, and I strongly feel that once independence is achieved the party could easily break up into 3 or 4 different parties that are each more ideologically coherent.

Lots of the party members I speak with, especially those on the campaign team I'm a member of, believe Salmond is just an egotistic arsehole with a grudge, some even think he's what you just said about Nicola!

Now, personally, as he was cleared of the charges against him, I'm not entirely opposed to him. Though I think he might be a pretty ineffective politician. If the Alba Party gains traction, and does well, and remains single-issue, I might consider changing allegiance.
Disclaimer: All views expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the views of this forum except when otherwise stated or this signature is not present.

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Brenden
Administrator
 
Posts: 9184
+1s received: 3556
Joined: 20 December 2012, 20:12
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Country: United States (us)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Magic J » 11 August 2022, 16:44

Image
Problematic Fave
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1819
+1s received: 1393
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 August 2022, 18:19

You guys should find a way to resurrect Margaret Thatcher from the dead—well, either her or Benjamin Disraeli.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 1032
+1s received: 315
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Magic J » 11 August 2022, 19:23

No need. The Tories are cooking up a two-bit Thatcher impersonator as we speak.
Problematic Fave
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1819
+1s received: 1393
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 11 August 2022, 19:45

Magic J wrote:No need. The Tories are cooking up a two-bit Thatcher impersonator as we speak.


Damn. But none shall e'er be quite akin to the original; of that much I can assure you! And Tories nowadays, from what little I know, are about as worthless compared to their origins as the modern-day GOP is when compared to what it was even seventy years ago.

[P.S.] Oh, and just for the record, no, I don't support Scottish independence—in fact, I'm vehemently opposed to the idea.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 1032
+1s received: 315
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Magic J » 11 August 2022, 21:41

The Tories are very much not worthless. In fact, they're all worth quite a lot. Which is a fairly large part of the problem.

Oh, I see you've a postscript. I'd rather talk about the very exciting prospect of a general strike, but I suppose it's independence again. Ho hum. Personally, I'm voting Yes because it'll be a laugh.

But I should put on my serious face and enquire: why "vehemently" opposed? What about the constitutional arrangement of the so-called United Kingdom has got you all hot and bothered?
Problematic Fave
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1819
+1s received: 1393
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby McTaggartfan » 12 August 2022, 12:41

Magic J wrote:The Tories are very much not worthless. In fact, they're all worth quite a lot. Which is a fairly large part of the problem.

Oh, I see you've a postscript. I'd rather talk about the very exciting prospect of a general strike, but I suppose it's independence again. Ho hum. Personally, I'm voting Yes because it'll be a laugh.

But I should put on my serious face and enquire: why "vehemently" opposed? What about the constitutional arrangement of the so-called United Kingdom has got you all hot and bothered?


Sentiment is the answer to your last mini-paragraph. I rarely take politics as seriously as I do some other things, such as philosophy; wherefore, in considering matters of politics, my positions are largely formulated on the basis of facts of sentiment.
User avatar
McTaggartfan
 
Posts: 1032
+1s received: 315
Joined: 7 February 2021, 02:12
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States (us)

Re: UK Politics in General

Unread postby Magic J » 12 August 2022, 15:08

Fair enough. Politics today are primarily a politics of vibes, I can respect owning that.

So at that level: The vibe I'm getting from doon sooth isn't pleasant. It does not rock my world. The venue is awful, the clientel have shit patter, the DJ's playing top 40's, and the drinks are overpriced. So I'm going to take my pals back to my bit, where good vibes are to be had by all. I only play good music, you see.
Problematic Fave
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1819
+1s received: 1393
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Previous

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 39 guests