Why do most gays vote democrat?

Discuss the news, current events, politics, etc.

Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 16:50

Shouldn’t the small government “stay out of my business” ideology of the republican party be more appealing for gays?
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 17:18

Why should it?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 18:05

Marmaduke wrote:Why should it?


Because presumably we shouldn’t want a government regulating what consenting adults can and cannot do in their private life/business.
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 18:06

Doesn't the republican party actively legislate against the homosexual community and their freedom to do what they'd like in their private time? Gay marriage for instance?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 18:08

Moreover, which freedoms of choice are the Democrats removing from the homosexual community?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby rogonandi » 22 March 2020, 18:18

The republicans frequently have associated themselves with evangelical Christian groups who at best grudgingly tolerate us, try to use law to oppress us, and at worst have their followers string us up and kill us.
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1732
+1s received: 1185
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 18:22

rogonandi wrote:The republicans frequently have associated themselves with evangelical Christian groups who at best grudgingly tolerate us, try to use law to oppress us, and at worst have their followers string us up and kill us.

Whoa Andy, you know me, I'm all for a punchy retort. But lets not start making unsourced claims that Republican politicians have undertaken to have members of the LGBT community lynched. I'm all for a discussion about one partys' percieved failings and differences of opinion, but lets not just start shovelling outright hyperbole. :lol:
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Derek » 22 March 2020, 18:32

Rym2018 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Why should it?


Because presumably we shouldn’t want a government regulating what consenting adults can and cannot do in their private life/business.

So you're saying gays should pick the party that has demonstrated more tolerance for what consenting adults can and cannot do in their private life?
User avatar
Derek
 
Posts: 6404
+1s received: 2392
Joined: 21 December 2012, 02:12
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby rogonandi » 22 March 2020, 18:39

Marmaduke wrote:
rogonandi wrote:The republicans frequently have associated themselves with evangelical Christian groups who at best grudgingly tolerate us, try to use law to oppress us, and at worst have their followers string us up and kill us.

Whoa Andy, you know me, I'm all for a punchy retort. But lets not start making unsourced claims that Republican politicians have undertaken to have members of the LGBT community lynched. I'm all for a discussion about one partys' percieved failings and differences of opinion, but lets not just start shovelling outright hyperbole. :lol:


They wouldn’t publicly admit this, no but...

I’m more talking about association. Birds of a feather flock together and such. ;)
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1732
+1s received: 1185
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Magic J » 22 March 2020, 18:40

As above. Not an American, but I'm vaguely aware that mainstream US Republicanism made some kind of devil's bargain with evangelical Christians, who are very interested in regulating individual's private lives indeed.
Naebody's bairn
User avatar
Magic J
 
Posts: 1214
+1s received: 898
Joined: 20 December 2012, 23:06
Location: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby rogonandi » 22 March 2020, 18:42

Rym2018 wrote:Shouldn’t the small government “stay out of my business” ideology of the republican party be more appealing for gays?

I think the only reason why they typically follow the “stay out of my business” mantra is because they themselves would like to do things that they’d prefer others to keep out of.
Image
User avatar
rogonandi
 
Posts: 1732
+1s received: 1185
Joined: 12 May 2016, 10:02
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 19:23

The question is about embracing the ideology of “small government” which I think should be appealing, not just to gays, but to all. Democrats advocate passing laws forcing others, religious or not, to do business with us, to bake our wedding cakes, to teach their own children lgbt ideology, etc. The view of those who subscribe to the “small government” ideology is that the government shouldn’t even have the power to regulate people’s private life/business to begin with. Because once assume those in government will have the power to regulate our private life, then the question is who gets to regulate; the religious lobby telling us what we can and cannot do, or the lgbt lobby telling others what they can and cannot do.

I believe we ought to live in a country where no matter who’s in government, we should be free do live our life as we see fit, as long as we don’t damage other people and other people’s property.
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 19:27

You can't frame a question around the LGBT community and then, when they answer, just broaden your argument out to refer to the population at large and disregard their feedback entirely. The question you're now asking is "I'm surprised democratic voters don't vote republican". That's a really stupid question.

Ironically, you're asking a stupid question from a stupid perspective too. Because it's the republican party that legislates restrictively around people's personal and private lives.

I would like you to answer the question I asked above; what personal freedoms are the democrats seeking to legislate against that you feel the republican party is defending?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 19:28

Also, what are the LGBT lobby telling people they cannot do?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 19:40

Marmaduke wrote:You can't frame a question around the LGBT community and then, when they answer, just broaden your argument out to refer to the population at large and disregard their feedback entirely. The question you're now asking is "I'm surprised democratic voters don't vote republican". That's a really stupid question.

Ironically, you're asking a stupid question from a stupid perspective too. Because it's the republican party that legislates restrictively around people's personal and private lives.

I would like you to answer the question I asked above; what personal freedoms are the democrats seeking to legislate against that you feel the republican party is defending?


The question remains the same, it’s right there, you can go back and read it; shouldn’t the ideology of “small government, stay out of my business, mind your own business, etc” be appealing for gays. You asked why should it and my response was because we should be free to live our lives as we see fit. You also asked what freedoms are democrats legislating against, and I responded by saying they’re legislating “in favor” of gays, forcing others to bake our cakes, etc, but my contention is that government shouldn’t have to legislate neither in favor nor against anyone. If we don’t want a government telling us what we can and cannot do in our private life we shouldn’t want a government telling others what they can and cannot do either.
Last edited by Rym2018 on 22 March 2020, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby poolerboy0077 » 22 March 2020, 19:40

Republicans: The government that governs best, governs least.

Also Republicans: We have to issue shelter at home and quarantine orders amid this pandemic.


Reality seems to show time and again how meaningless that argument is.
Blow: "Nowadays even Liam can release an album of his screechy vocals and it'll probably go #1..."
Ramzus: I can admit that I'm horny just about 24/7
homomorphism: I used to not think your name was deshay and that Erick was just being racist
Hunter: sometimes I think I was literally born to be a pornstar
User avatar
poolerboy0077
 
Posts: 9101
+1s received: 2382
Joined: 20 December 2012, 21:20
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 19:45

Rym2018 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:You can't frame a question around the LGBT community and then, when they answer, just broaden your argument out to refer to the population at large and disregard their feedback entirely. The question you're now asking is "I'm surprised democratic voters don't vote republican". That's a really stupid question.

Ironically, you're asking a stupid question from a stupid perspective too. Because it's the republican party that legislates restrictively around people's personal and private lives.

I would like you to answer the question I asked above; what personal freedoms are the democrats seeking to legislate against that you feel the republican party is defending?


The question remains the same, it’s right there, you can go back and read it; shouldn’t the ideology of “small government, stay out of my business, mind your own business, etc” be appealing for gays. You asked why should it and my response was because we should be free to live our lives as we see fit. You also asked what freedoms are democrats legislating against, and I responded by saying they’re legislating “in favor” of gays, forcing others to bake our cakes, etc, but my contention is that government shouldn’t have to legislate neither in favor nor against anyone. If we don’t want a government telling us what we can and cannot do in our private life we shouldn’t want a government telling others what they can and cannot either.

Can I asked who it is that has forced you to bake a cake?

Because legislating against a person's freedom to discriminate is no different in principle to legislating against their freedom to assault, isn't it? We can surely agree that discrimination and assault are both negative social constants, is it not the duty of a government to legislate against the minority who would act against others within the population? If it isn't, what is it you feel is the duty of a government if it isn't laying out the framework of how that nation is percieved both internally and externally? (that framework being the legal structure and constitution)
Last edited by Marmaduke on 22 March 2020, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 19:46

poolerboy0077 wrote:Republicans: The government that governs best, governs least.

Also Republicans: We have to issue shelter at home and quarantine orders amid this pandemic.


Reality seems to show time and again how meaningless that argument is.


Yes because it’s a pandemic. Both democrats and republicans seem to agree on this during a pandemic. California and New York are currently governed by democrats and they also issued shelter at home and quarantine orders. Don’t you agree with this?
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Rym2018 » 22 March 2020, 19:55

Marmaduke wrote:
Rym2018 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:You can't frame a question around the LGBT community and then, when they answer, just broaden your argument out to refer to the population at large and disregard their feedback entirely. The question you're now asking is "I'm surprised democratic voters don't vote republican". That's a really stupid question.

Ironically, you're asking a stupid question from a stupid perspective too. Because it's the republican party that legislates restrictively around people's personal and private lives.

I would like you to answer the question I asked above; what personal freedoms are the democrats seeking to legislate against that you feel the republican party is defending?


The question remains the same, it’s right there, you can go back and read it; shouldn’t the ideology of “small government, stay out of my business, mind your own business, etc” be appealing for gays. You asked why should it and my response was because we should be free to live our lives as we see fit. You also asked what freedoms are democrats legislating against, and I responded by saying they’re legislating “in favor” of gays, forcing others to bake our cakes, etc, but my contention is that government shouldn’t have to legislate neither in favor nor against anyone. If we don’t want a government telling us what we can and cannot do in our private life we shouldn’t want a government telling others what they can and cannot either.

Can I asked who it is that has forced you to bake a cake?

Because legislating against a person's freedom to discriminate is no different in principle to legislating against their freedom to assault, isn't it? We can surely agree that discrimination and assault are both negative social constants, is it not the duty of a government to legislate against the minority who would act against others within the population? If it isn't, what is it you feel is the duty of a government if it isn't laying out the framework of how that nation is percieved both internally and externally? (that framework being the legal structure and constitution)


No one has forced me to bake a cake, but surely you’ve heard about others being fined thousands of dollars for not baking cakes, right?

And I disagree with your notion that discrimination is equal to assault. Assault is a physical attack, and the government has the duty to protect our life, freedom and property. Not wanting to bake a cake might be discrimination, but it is not physically attacking a person; it does not threaten the life nor the property of the person being discriminated, and the person asking for the cake does not have the right to demand services from another free person.
Rym2018
 
Posts: 25
+1s received: 4
Joined: 18 February 2018, 02:41
Country: United States (us)

Re: Why do most gays vote democrat?

Unread postby Marmaduke » 22 March 2020, 20:00

I've certainly heard about businesses being fined for refusing service on grounds of LGBT discrimination, yes. But we're not talking about people's business lives, are we? You've been quite explicit. We're talking about people's private and personal lives. I would be interested for you to show an example of someone finishing work for the day, getting home and being shocked to find a representative of the US Government insisting that they must bake a rainbow unicorn gateaux?

Are we now only talking about whether bakers should be obliged to bake cakes of many colours? Or are you asserting that the government has a duty to protect freedom, apart from in cases of discrimination? How do you define freedom within the context of the responsibility a state holds to it citizens?
Marmaduke
 
Posts: 7202
+1s received: 2203
Joined: 23 December 2012, 17:56
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 29 guests