Page 391 of 392

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 2 April 2022, 08:39
by PopTart
I'm debating how to spend my weekend. Most of my friends are working and I was intending to have a productive one. I've been desiging a work table to replace some furniture and I could start building it at this point.

But I've had some insomnia during the week and I'm just not feeling particularly motivated.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 2 April 2022, 08:41
by McTaggartfan
PopTart wrote:I'm debating how to spend my weekend. Most of my friends are working and I was intending to have a productive one. I've been desiging a work table to replace some furniture and I could start building it at this point.

But I've had some insomnia during the week and I'm just not feeling particularly motivated.


You too? Both Mary (with whom I live) and I have been dealing with those issues these past couple weeks. It's not particularly fun, I must admit! But hopefully they go away for you, not to mention for us too!

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 2 April 2022, 09:39
by PopTart
McTaggartfan wrote:
PopTart wrote:I'm debating how to spend my weekend. Most of my friends are working and I was intending to have a productive one. I've been desiging a work table to replace some furniture and I could start building it at this point.

But I've had some insomnia during the week and I'm just not feeling particularly motivated.


You too? Both Mary (with whom I live) and I have been dealing with those issues these past couple weeks. It's not particularly fun, I must admit! But hopefully they go away for you, not to mention for us too!
Yes, sleep is good. Let us all hope we can sleep more and honestly, have to work less. Or not at all. Definately that last bit.

Where is a globally spreading viral pandemic of suspicious origin when you need one?

I miss lockdown. :(

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 7 April 2022, 06:25
by McTaggartfan
I'm almost done watching Richard Strauss' opera, Elektra, on YouTube, because it's too expensive to get decent seats to watch the upcoming performance of it at the Kennedy Center. I've decided I like the libretto, but hate the instrumental music by Strauss.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 8 April 2022, 05:31
by Jzone
Strauss is sublime. I love his music, but not the opera. To each his own.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 8 April 2022, 06:07
by poolerboy0077
Just finished watching a clip of a woman a few weeks ago who had her faces destroyed by two dogs. Her cheeks and lips were bitten off. I honestly couldn’t finish watching the whole thing, And while this was a tragic incident involving a dog sitter visiting a home, I couldn’t help but recall the time I went to pick up something from the ground a couple months ago and when I look up a dog was coming toward me. It startled me so I tripped and fell backward. Thankfully it seems the dog was just wanting to play and was startled himself too by my fall and quickly left. But it was clear the dog wasn’t a stray. It’s just that the owner didn’t leash it. Why do a lot of dog owners have an aversion to leashing their damn dogs? It’s like anti-maskers, I swear. hE dOeSn’T bItE. Leash your fucking dog! It’s a fucking animal. You don’t know when they could go berserk and attack either a person or simply another, possibly smaller and weaker dog (which is super common).

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 8 April 2022, 06:32
by McTaggartfan
Jzone wrote:Strauss is sublime. I love his music, but not the opera. To each his own.


Do you like Wagner as well? The only two people I know who like Strauss also like Wagner.

[Deleted]

Unread postPosted: 8 April 2022, 07:07
by Jzone
PostThis post was deleted by Jzone on 8 April 2022, 07:09.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 8 April 2022, 07:12
by Jzone
McTaggartfan wrote:Do you like Wagner as well? The only two people I know who like Strauss also like Wagner.

Interesting. I appreciate Wagner, but I am not attracted to his work. Instrumentally maybe, but vocally no.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 9 April 2022, 12:27
by Magic J
McTaggartfan wrote:
Jzone wrote:Strauss is sublime. I love his music, but not the opera. To each his own.


Do you like Wagner as well? The only two people I know who like Strauss also like Wagner.

I don't listen to much opera, but when I do, it has to be Strauss. Also particularly like his adaptations of Herman Hesse's poetry.

Can't say I've listened very closely to much Wagner, suggestions welcome.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 11 April 2022, 10:52
by McTaggartfan
Magic J wrote:
McTaggartfan wrote:
Jzone wrote:Strauss is sublime. I love his music, but not the opera. To each his own.


Do you like Wagner as well? The only two people I know who like Strauss also like Wagner.

I don't listen to much opera, but when I do, it has to be Strauss. Also particularly like his adaptations of Herman Hesse's poetry.

Can't say I've listened very closely to much Wagner, suggestions welcome.


Hmm, well unfortunately I can't recommend anything composed by Wagner, be it an opera or otherwise. I don't really like Wagner all that much, and apparently I don't like Strauss much either (though I'm willing to give him a couple more tries, if you will). Are you usually drawn to composers of the late Romantic era? If so, I could try making a few suggestions of composers and compositions; but I can't guarantee they'd necessarily be much like Strauss, or Wagner for that matter, since I don't listen to enough of either to be able to spot similarities between them and other composers. Though perhaps you might like some of the earlier works of Schoenberg, such as his Verklarte Nacht.

Personally, I tend to prefer composers from the Baroque period, and so most of the art music I listen to is from that era. Of course, there are certainly exceptions. For instance, I think Gabriel Fauré's melodies and nocturnes are superb; have yet to come across a Max Richter album that I disliked; and love some of the arias from (say) Puccini's Madama Butterfly.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 13 May 2022, 00:30
by erti
Watching two of the 4 kids at the house at the moment. The 3 older kids aren't bad when it's just one or two of them. I didn't feel like getting cramped up in the van and the two just wanted to stay home as well so yeah.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 13 May 2022, 01:24
by rogonandi
erti wrote:Watching two of the 4 kids at the house at the moment. The 3 older kids aren't bad when it's just one or two of them. I didn't feel like getting cramped up in the van and the two just wanted to stay home as well so yeah.

Do the young ones like to use you as a jungle gym? :P

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 13 May 2022, 01:27
by erti
rogonandi wrote:
erti wrote:Watching two of the 4 kids at the house at the moment. The 3 older kids aren't bad when it's just one or two of them. I didn't feel like getting cramped up in the van and the two just wanted to stay home as well so yeah.

Do the young ones like to use you as a jungle gym? :P


Surprisingly not really. My youngest sister (we're 11 1/2 years apart) did when she was a kid. Funny because she is now taller and heavier than I am.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2022, 04:47
by McTaggartfan
poolerboy0077 wrote:Just finished watching a clip of a woman a few weeks ago who had her faces destroyed by two dogs. Her cheeks and lips were bitten off. I honestly couldn’t finish watching the whole thing, And while this was a tragic incident involving a dog sitter visiting a home, I couldn’t help but recall the time I went to pick up something from the ground a couple months ago and when I look up a dog was coming toward me. It startled me so I tripped and fell backward. Thankfully it seems the dog was just wanting to play and was startled himself too by my fall and quickly left. But it was clear the dog wasn’t a stray. It’s just that the owner didn’t leash it. Why do a lot of dog owners have an aversion to leashing their damn dogs? It’s like anti-maskers, I swear. hE dOeSn’T bItE. Leash your fucking dog! It’s a fucking animal. You don’t know when they could go berserk and attack either a person or simply another, possibly smaller and weaker dog (which is super common).


One could say mostly the same about humans lol

And I'd add that I don't imagine it really is that common, given how many dogs there are in the world.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2022, 15:42
by Brenden
poolerboy0077 wrote:Just finished watching a clip of a woman a few weeks ago who had her faces destroyed by two dogs. Her cheeks and lips were bitten off. I honestly couldn’t finish watching the whole thing, And while this was a tragic incident involving a dog sitter visiting a home, I couldn’t help but recall the time I went to pick up something from the ground a couple months ago and when I look up a dog was coming toward me. It startled me so I tripped and fell backward. Thankfully it seems the dog was just wanting to play and was startled himself too by my fall and quickly left. But it was clear the dog wasn’t a stray. It’s just that the owner didn’t leash it. Why do a lot of dog owners have an aversion to leashing their damn dogs? It’s like anti-maskers, I swear. hE dOeSn’T bItE. Leash your fucking dog! It’s a fucking animal. You don’t know when they could go berserk and attack either a person or simply another, possibly smaller and weaker dog (which is super common).

More important than leashing is muzzling. If a dog breed has a bite force beyond a certain threshold, it should be muzzled when in public.

And of course certain breeds and their derivatives ought to be outright banned and neutered when found by authorities. There is absolutely no reason for society tolerating a breed or lineage of dog that was intentionally bred for abject violence.

bUt tHaT'S DoG RaCiSm!

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2022, 16:01
by Brenden
McTaggartfan wrote:And I'd add that I don't imagine it really is that common, given how many dogs there are in the world.

In 2019, the year for which the State of South Carolina released dog-bite incident numbers in 2021, there were about 90 million dogs in the United States. Assuming the distribution of dogs roughly follows the distribution of human population, that gives an estimate of 1,413,000 South Carolinian dogs in 2019, among which there were 7,499 recorded (i.e., serious enough to involve authorities) dog bites, which gives a figure of 188 dog-years per bite. A typical dog lives 12 years, so that gives an estimate of 1 in 15 dogs seriously injuring a human at least once in their lifetime.

Of course, dogs that bite are not uniformly distributed among breeds, and probably follow a Pareto distribution with a couple of breeds accounting for most bites. *cough* pit bulls *cough*

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 15 May 2022, 07:31
by McTaggartfan
Ah

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2022, 03:17
by Jzone
Streaming Kaleo live from Red Rock, Colorado. Awesome sound and great performance.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2022, 04:09
by Derek
Jzone wrote:Streaming Kaleo live from Red Rock, Colorado. Awesome sound and great performance.

I've been there, it's such a cool venue