Page 1 of 23

2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries | nEw PolL

Unread postPosted: 5 March 2019, 12:49
by Brenden
At least on the Democratic side, the primary campaigns for the 2020 US presidential election are well underway. So let's discuss!

Who do you support at this point?
What are the major issues you care about?
Who do you think will win the Democratic primary? Republican?
Who do you think has the best chances of taking down Trump? In the (R) primary? In the general?

Edit 1: Added poll.

Edit 2: New poll with all of the candidates who appeared / will appear in the first debates on 26 and 27 June.
Here is the previous poll's results:
GFO 2020 US Presidential Election Primaries Poll 1 Results.png


Edit 3: New poll with the candidates who are still in the race as of the 6th of February 2020.
Here is the previous poll's results:
GFO 2020 US Presidential Election Primaries Poll 2 Results.png


Edit 4: New poll question!
Here is the previous poll's results:
GFO 2020 US Presidential Election Primaries Poll 3 Results.png

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 18 March 2019, 18:04
by Severelius
I know I'm British and thus have no valid stake in this at all but I'm not quite over my obsession with US politics so I figured I may as well chime in.

Who do you support at this point? When the primary started getting rolling I was all aboard for Elizabeth Warren and still really like her as a candidate and potential President. But due to my apparently pathological need to back outsiders the more I see and hear of Pete Buttigieg the more I like him even though his odds of winning are tiny.
What are the major issues you care about? Climate change is honestly the biggest. Outside of just 'get rid of Trump as soon as fucking possible'
Who do you think will win the Democratic primary? Republican? Democratic candidate will be Joe Biden if he runs. If he doesn't I'm thinking it'll end up being Kamala Harris. Republicans are going to stick with Trump because at this point he owns that party wholesale.
Who do you think has the best chances of taking down Trump? In the (R) primary? In the general? I have this notion of John Kasich running against Trump in a Republican primary but there's no way he'd actually win such a contest so the general is the only shot of taking Trump down. In which case I'd tip Joe Biden as the candidate probably most likely to be able to beat him as much as I'd rather that not be the case.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 31 March 2019, 17:13
by bluesunstorm
I like Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren the best, but neither have any chance of winning the nomination. I think Joe Biden would win the Democratic primary, but he's getting too much heat for past creepy behavior, so I don't think he'll run. I think Sanders would win otherwise, but his support is overall weak with African-Americans, so I don't know. I don't think any of them will ultimately beat Trump in the general though.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 1 April 2019, 14:28
by poolerboy0077
I think a nice ticket would be: Buttigieg/Yang 2020. Bernie is berned out and Warren has that wacko Native American thing looming over here that she won’t be able to shake off. Kamala Harris is a prosecutor so that’s going to be a no-go for many Dems and Beto is a dork who is following in the footsteps of Howard Dean to be the most cringeworthy of them all. He also has a track record of siding with Republicans on a lot of bills so I never saw the appeal. Realistically I think that Joe or Cory will win the nomination.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 1 April 2019, 16:29
by Brenden
bluesunstorm wrote:I think Sanders would win otherwise, but his support is overall weak with African-Americans, so I don't know.

In a CNN poll in December (page 15), Bernie had the highest favourable opinion among non-whites of any of the candidates / potential candidates asked about at 58% favourable. (For comparison, Biden was at 56% favourable among non-whites. See page 16.)

poolerboy0077 wrote:Warren has that wacko Native American thing looming over here that she won’t be able to shake off.

This. So unfortunate.

poolerboy0077 wrote:Kamala Harris is a prosecutor so that’s going to be a no-go for many Dems

Kamala's a cop. :lol:

poolerboy0077 wrote:Beto is a dork who is following in the footsteps of Howard Dean to be the most cringeworthy of them all.

He's such a politician, in the tired old sense.

I thought Buttigieg came off like a millennial version of the same thing on Bill Maher.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 1 April 2019, 17:04
by Capt._Trips
I actually don't think most Americans care much about the Native American thing with Warren. But every other candidate is constantly going to bring it up and question her credibility. So that will hurt her from being to speak.

I honestly think its going to be Biden's year. But bernie still has a rabid fan base. Some of his ideas are just out there with the undecided's

Cory has time to get himself out there. But i dont think he'll gain a big enough following to surpass biden or Sanders.

But atm my money would be on joe biden. And you know he's gonna play up that "average" joe persona he used before.

But anything coukd change.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 1 April 2019, 18:47
by Brenden
I've created a poll. (The first of many to come.)

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 1 April 2019, 22:49
by poolerboy0077
Brenden wrote:I thought Buttigieg came off like a millennial version of the same thing on Bill Maher.

He seems to have attracted positive attention from both sides, at least from what I can see in the comments.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 2 April 2019, 14:56
by Brenden
poolerboy0077 wrote:
Brenden wrote:I thought Buttigieg came off like a millennial version of the same thing on Bill Maher.

He seems to have attracted positive attention from both sides, at least from what I can see in the comments.

Which sides? Republican? Could you paraphrase an example or two?

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 2 April 2019, 22:24
by poolerboy0077
Look at the comments from his Fox News interview:

https://youtu.be/y97QknIG-Eo

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 14 April 2019, 19:53
by poolerboy0077
Just finished watching Buttigieg’s announcement. He’s risen so much and so quickly since I mentioned him earlier this month.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 14 April 2019, 20:37
by Derek
I should announce my bid. Donald Trump proved there's no downside. In the best-case scenario, you lose but raise your public profile. In the worst-case, you accidentally become president.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 15 April 2019, 13:31
by poolerboy0077
The only thing that the public would perceive is less of a messy twitter account replaced with a more passive aggressive one.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 16 April 2019, 17:37
by cyncist
Honestly the Democrats could run a house plant and it would still be an improvement over the current administration.

I don't see the appeal for Buttigieg, he comes across as a typical politician. Only does the right thing when it's calculated to score political points.

I don't agree with Sanders on most of his policies and I think he's a bit of an idiot when it comes to numbers, yet the man seems to genuinely believe what he preaches, and that's a refreshing change of pace for American politics.

Booker ran into a burning building and saved a person. Clearly his heart is in the right place... that should count for something.

Warren is full of shit.

Biden is a creeper with a history of making racist comments.

O'Rourke lost to Ted fucking Cruz of all people, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. It hasn't helped that every time the man opens his mouth, some cringe-inducing nonsense spills out.

Harris can apparently travel through time while smoking pot, and I don't trust people who can manipulate the space-time continuum.

None of the others are even worth mentioning.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 16 April 2019, 21:27
by Brenden
How is Warren full of shit?

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 16 April 2019, 21:39
by poolerboy0077
Brenden wrote:How is Warren full of shit?

Take another look at his username.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 20 April 2019, 06:50
by MrTheEdge
count me in

[Deleted]

Unread postPosted: 20 April 2019, 06:50
by MrTheEdge
PostThis post was deleted by MrTheEdge on 20 April 2019, 06:50.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 21 April 2019, 18:36
by bluesunstorm
cyncist wrote:Honestly the Democrats could run a house plant and it would still be an improvement over the current administration.

I don't see the appeal for Buttigieg, he comes across as a typical politician. Only does the right thing when it's calculated to score political points.

I don't agree with Sanders on most of his policies and I think he's a bit of an idiot when it comes to numbers, yet the man seems to genuinely believe what he preaches, and that's a refreshing change of pace for American politics.

Booker ran into a burning building and saved a person. Clearly his heart is in the right place... that should count for something.

Warren is full of shit.

Biden is a creeper with a history of making racist comments.

O'Rourke lost to Ted fucking Cruz of all people, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. It hasn't helped that every time the man opens his mouth, some cringe-inducing nonsense spills out.

Harris can apparently travel through time while smoking pot, and I don't trust people who can manipulate the space-time continuum.

None of the others are even worth mentioning.

This list just makes me think Trump will get re-elected, which at this point, I don't know if I really care (I never thought I'd being saying this in 2016). Every candidate is too problematic in one way or the other to the left, and it just creates fragments. Meanwhile, Republicans overwhelming are fine with Trump. They don't seem as purity focused.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election | Primaries

Unread postPosted: 23 April 2019, 02:32
by poolerboy0077


I hope he gets to be on stage again with the other candidates to push them hard.

Asked if he has a chance of winning, Mike Gravel said: “Oh God, no.” :lol: :heart: